# of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? )

/ # of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? ) #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I'm digging thru FDOT specs and notes here, and think I remember the anser / cutoff being 119/120g container before needing hazmat.

IE you can carry LOTS of 5g containers.. but if a bulk container, it tops at that magic cutoff of 119/120g.

And IIRC, even if you have a 250g tank, filled to only 119g, it's still not legal without hazmat, as the tank capacity could exceed 119.. etc.

Am I correct here?

I need to set some fuel out on a small job and a 115g HHO tank is available to use to haul it.. or I can 55g can it out there if needed.

thanks

/ # of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? ) #2  
I believe you are correct on all accounts. As long as your containers are 119 gal or smaller you should be fine.

/ # of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? ) #3  
A 55 gallon barrel is also not DOT approved so cant legally be used on road. That said i have tranported 55 gallons of diesel on a utility trailer in a barrel. Was in the evening and down backroads so not as visible but i am sure still illegal.

/ # of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? )
tHANKS, THAT'S HOW i REMEMBER IT WHEN IT CHANGED HEREI N FLORIDA.

I REMEMBER PRINTING OUT A SHEET AND STICKING IT IN MY dot FOLDER.. BUT NOW i CAN ( darn caps.. sorry.. )

Now I can't find that sheet and we are sending a piece of equipment out to a job and wanted a double check before I put our 115g tank on there. As I recall.. we sold our 250g tank when that statuate changed, and got that home heating oil tank just for that reason.

A 55 gallon barrel is also not DOT approved so cant legally be used on road. That said i have tranported 55 gallons of diesel on a utility trailer in a barrel. Was in the evening and down backroads so not as visible but i am sure still illegal.

I'm not sure why a 55g drum being transported would be illegal as long as the drum was marked 1202 and plaqued?

We have had our fuel distribuitor deliver us fuel in 55g drums before. ( for this very purpose.. to set on a job that was slightly remote ).

OK, found my cheat sheet. looks like we are onthe right course.

msds and 1202 plaques for gas, oil, diesel, or HHO. 1993 plaques for bulk liquids. and 119g does seem to be the cutoff.

Of dubious question is whether a 55g drum is a dot certified container. ;)

/ # of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? ) #7  
I'm digging thru FDOT specs and notes here, and think I remember the anser / cutoff being 119/120g container before needing hazmat.

IE you can carry LOTS of 5g containers.. but if a bulk container, it tops at that magic cutoff of 119/120g.

And IIRC, even if you have a 250g tank, filled to only 119g, it's still not legal without hazmat, as the tank capacity could exceed 119.. etc.

Am I correct here?

I need to set some fuel out on a small job and a 115g HHO tank is available to use to haul it.. or I can 55g can it out there if needed.

thanks

I thought it was 99 gallons. I swear I remember seeing a ton of 99 gal transfer tanks. I believe it's the "rating" on the tank, not actual gallons of fuel. I think some of the transfer tank makers used to death slightly, and call a larger tank 99 gal for DOT

/ # of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? ) #8  
Its not gallons , its pounds . Anything over 1000 lbs . How do I know , I buy bleach in 55 gallon drums , they weigh 550 lbs , I can only get 1 . And I have a hazmat endorsement , but I am not going thru all the registration and placards to carry 2 drums.

The precise weight of diesel fuel will vary based on temperature and humidity, but is generally around 7.25-7.5 pounds per gallon. So the safest bet is to use 8 pounds per gallon as the number you'll plug into your calculations, and that's what we're going to use here.

They do not count a fuel tank on a truck that supplies fuel to the truck . It has to be mounted .

/ # of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? ) #9  
I'm not sure why a 55g drum being transported would be illegal as long as the drum was marked 1202 and plaqued?

We have had our fuel distribuitor deliver us fuel in 55g drums before. ( for this very purpose.. to set on a job that was slightly remote ).

If it is has the placard displayed on a drum , I believe you need hazmat . ( retook the test last year And this was on it )

/ # of gallons of diesel before needing hazmat? ( 120? ) #10  
The cut-off is 119 gal. tank and no placard is necessary