Off road diesel - How do you find locations?

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #31  
I don't burn a lot of diesel - but I have to admit, its alway a challenge for me to find any diesel - and I was wondering how can I find a source of off road diesel - might actually be more convenience for me and save me a few bucks. Google comes up with nothing.....do I just go to a heating oil place and ask for #2 heating oil?

For finding normal diesel, I suggest the gasbuddy app; "find gas" and use the drop-down to select diesel. Go to the map view and look around that way.

I used to be able to use the desktop/web gasbuddy.com but today the map isn't showing anything so I can't recommend it.

None of this will help with finding off-road diesel, but if you're in a pinch, this works pretty good.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #32  
Here in Wisconsin off road is 40 cents cheaper due to no tax, just bought some Saturday.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #33  
Usually not too much different in price around me.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #34  
In PA, where we are tops in fuel taxes, I am blessed to have enough farmers still left in my area to make selling off-road still popular. Saves me about 50 cents per gallon.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #35  
I did the off road diesel in 5 gal cans for awhile then went to on-road because it was more available. One year I collected receipts and filed for credit on my taxes, savings wasn't worth the hassle. Now I carry a 36 gallon aux tank in my truck and use on-road diesel for my tractors and I can also use it in my diesel truck.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #36  
Here in Wisconsin off road is 40 cents cheaper due to no tax, just bought some Saturday.
Hence the name off road. The tax and dye is the only difference in them.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #37  
I did the off road diesel in 5 gal cans for awhile then went to on-road because it was more available. One year I collected receipts and filed for credit on my taxes, savings wasn't worth the hassle. Now I carry a 36 gallon aux tank in my truck and use on-road diesel for my tractors and I can also use it in my diesel truck.
Yea in your case it makes no sense to run all over for it. And like I said most people doesn't make sense to keep up with receipts for the little you get back. But around here I don't really have to go out of my way to find off road. Many of the stations that sell diesel sell off-road as well. I may as well save the difference and run off-road when I can. Its probably fresher (read my previous post) than if I get diesel at some city gas station that the city grocery getter brodozer crowd uses.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #38  
Motor fuels are a regulated & taxed commodity at State level. Gas stations often need to be licensed or permitted to sell fuel and that license / permit is posted at each station. It will have the name of the department to which you can send a FOIA asking for ORD sellers.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #39  
Just curious, how likely is it that someone would be caught using the off road in an on road vehicle? I cannot imagine a cop taking the time to check every time they pull over a diesel pickup....different if we are talking tractor-trailer rigs. I don't have or plan to have an on-road diesel vehicle, so this is pure hypothetical for me.

I wouldn't bother, personally. For the relatively low amount of diesel I expect to use, I will pay the additional tax. That being said, if it is convenient, I'll use the cheaper stuff.

Is there a good rule of thumb for how quickly you need to turn over fuel? A big drum would be convenient, but I want to be rational about it.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #40  
Just curious, how likely is it that someone would be caught using the off road in an on road vehicle? I cannot imagine a cop taking the time to check every time they pull over a diesel pickup....different if we are talking tractor-trailer rigs. I don't have or plan to have an on-road diesel vehicle, so this is pure hypothetical for me.

I wouldn't bother, personally. For the relatively low amount of diesel I expect to use, I will pay the additional tax. That being said, if it is convenient, I'll use the cheaper stuff.

Is there a good rule of thumb for how quickly you need to turn over fuel? A big drum would be convenient, but I want to be rational about it.
Ive never run it in my tanks, but I have also never had a cop dip one of my tanks, either. Whether I was driving a big rig or my smaller truck.
Diesel fuel stores surprisingly well for longer periods as long as the vessel it is stored in is clean and free of moisture or any kind of mold. Fuel system problems are very bad.
Its best not to take chances and just buy what you need if there’s any doubt about your storage tank. For most of the smaller or hobby operators, I wouldn’t spend more than a few extra miles driving time for off road diesel. If you are using thousands of gallons, that’s a different story.
If I buy 1000 gallons for first cutting of hay and save .50/gallon, then I saved $500, which is worth it to me.