Oh, the treasures you might find

/ Oh, the treasures you might find #1  

njjeter

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Cleaning out the garage (wife says, nope, just moving around junk and stirring up dust) and came across this bundle of "dynamite" wire that came from my dad's shed when he died 10 years ago. The more correct name for this is blasting wire, but as a kid growing up in the 50s and 60s, it was always dynamite wire. It was our household duct tape and baling wire substitute. My dad ran a power shovel in a limestone quarry and there were always bundles of used wire floating around. This was before it was profitable to save bits of copper wiring. From the time I was 3 years old until about 6 years old, we actually lived in company housing at one of those quarries where my backyard was against stock piles of various size rock. It is a wonder we didn't get buried when the trucks dumped another load while we were moving that rock with our own toy trucks and shovels. For some of those years, my grandfather ran the drilling and powder crew, so he always had plenty of wire also. I remember helping him move after he retired and finding a pair of reading glasses where he had replaced the broken ear pieces with twisted dynamite wire (blue on one side and yellow on the other).
Also found a broken hammer handle, but after much internal debate, I decided to toss it. Of course the trash has not been emptied yet, so it isn't really gone.
20230601_153749.jpg

/ Oh, the treasures you might find #2  
One mans junk is another mans treasure 😁

Sure wish I could find someone that thinks my junk is a treasure..

/ Oh, the treasures you might find #4  
I remember back in the early 1980’s eating lunch in the root celler…..sitting on boxes of ditching dynamite.

ah, those were the days. And playing with det cord.