Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB)

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB) #1  

nouveauree

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1725
I've read through lots of posts and still don't see answers that fully address my questions so I figured I'd just post.

1. My manual states 5W30 or 10W30 for engine oil. I have been using Rotella T4 (mineral) and want to switch to T6 (synthetic). However, T6 that is specific for diesel has 5W40 or 15W40. To get 5W30 or 10W30, I have to use T6 multi-vehicle. I'd prefer to stay with the diesel-specific and with the manual specs of 5W30 or 10W30.

2. Because of issue with #1 above, looking at AMSOIL 10W30. Definitely more expensive but it's once a year and so not too worried about the cost if it is really worth it. One of the members offered Preferred so I reached out to him and the cost will be lower if I get that.

3. For Front Axle and Hydraulics/transmission, MF manual states to use Permatran 821XL but doesn't specify viscosity. Specs on the 821XL state it is 10W30. AMSOIL alternative is 5W30 so I'm comfortable with that, especially because the manual doesn't specify. It's quite expensive but again, once a year.

Based on the above, what are your recommendations.

Thank you.
Steve

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB) #2  
T6 Multi-Vehicle is fine. As is Mobil Delvac and Chevron Delo and many others. Use what ever you are comfortable with and be happy.

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB) #3  
Hydraulic and engine oil are very different.

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB)
Hydraulic and engine oil are very different.
1 and 2 apply to the engine oil and #3 applies to the hydraulic/transmission oil.

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB) #6  
Thanks. I tend to overanalyze!
And thats cool. The only 2 things oil needs to be is 1) Compatible and 2) Make you feel confident. Other's opinions are just that, opinions. So choose what you want that will work and be happy :)

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB) #7  
2. Because of issue with #1 above, looking at AMSOIL 10W30. Definitely more expensive but it's once a year and so not too worried about the cost if it is really worth it. One of the members offered Preferred so I reached out to him and the cost will be lower if I get that.

I use Amsoil in everything now, found that using the Preferred Customer and free shipping the costs are within a dollar or two of using locally bought other brands. Plus using extended OCI and sampling to be sure everything is as it should be my costs for servicing vehicles is very acceptable to me.

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB)
Still a little confused. The manual stats to use Permatran 821XL for both the front axle and transmission/hydraulic. Specs for 821XL state it is 10W30. Isn't the front axle more like 80W90?

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB) #9  
front axle and transmission/hydraulic oil are the same on my machine

/ Oil (Engine and Hydraulic/Transmission for 2019 GC1725MB) #10  
Still a little confused. The manual stats to use Permatran 821XL for both the front axle and transmission/hydraulic. Specs for 821XL state it is 10W30. Isn't the front axle more like 80W90?
Comparing apples and oranges. Motor oil and gear oil use 2 different classifications. 10W30 motor oil and 75W85 gear oil are the same viscosity, but different applications, so the additive package is different.

Attachments

• Table_5_viscosity_comparison_charta.jpg
    Table_5_viscosity_comparison_charta.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 79