Oil FILTER TESTS

/ Oil FILTER TESTS #1  

Charolais

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 100, Stoll loader, bucket, forks & root grapple
Ran across this ( Filter test ) while searching on Google.

It's a pretty long read but thought some of you might enjoy reading and seeing the pictures on this oil filter test.

/ Oil FILTER TESTS #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am not sure how to interpret all the findings? )</font>

neither is the author of the study.... this study proves nothing other than he has learned how to cut open an oil filter without destroying the inside of it. It would be like you standing in at an the launching of a space shuttle... you would be observing what is going on, but you would have no idea of what was going on....... that is, unless you were a engineer, which the person doing the observing is not by his own admissions.

/ Oil FILTER TESTS #4  
good link, or was, but if you are confused about the topic at hand, there is a little button in the corner called "seach". Use that and do some reading on oil filter tests, oil filter/.....

Have fun.

/ Oil FILTER TESTS #5  
My brother is a mechanical engineer, when he was in college, his class ran a bunch of blind test on oil filters to see which ones were the most efficient at removing contaminants. Turns out it was K-Mart brand, of course the next batch of K-Mart re-badged filters you bought might be the most inefficient filters out there. Doesn't matter now anyway, that was 30 years ago! Anyone for Wally World brand? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

/ Oil FILTER TESTS #6  
best filters out there are Amsoil (baldwin), AC, Purolatorand mobil.

Don't forget it is not just efficiency, you need capacity too. When I got my undergrade in ME, I never messed with oil filters at all...

/ Oil FILTER TESTS #7  
Mike,

We use baldwin filters, I was not suggesting that everyone go out and buy off-brand, more that the off-brands can not be depended on for consistency. You are right about capacity, it doesn't do any good to have the best filtering ability in the world when the oil is simply going around the filter through a bypass valve. The test they ran was simply a learning exercise, not to determine the best filter out there.

We still change oil in our tractors realitively frequantly, depanding on the use that they are given, even though we use synthetic oil. It's more about the contaminate load we feel the oil is picking up than the oil "wearing" out. Two of our tractors are over thirty years old and still going strong. It's sort of funny seeing some of these guys talking of 2 or 3 hundred hours of use, put those numbers into thousands and you are just getting to the point of seeing how good a tractor really is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's interesting reading your post, thanks for sharing.

I think I might have misread your post. My brther is a ME, but he finished up his last year in Ag Engineering. They gave him a co-op job with the Ag Engineering school driving their demonstration steam tractor to swap over. I think it was in the Ag school that they did the filter test.

Mike

/ Oil FILTER TESTS #8  
you are using a very good filter...do not change! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Oil FILTER TESTS
What got my attention most was the lack of pressure drop with the Fram filter. There was some difference from brand to brand but most were pretty close to the other except Fram. The Fram they tested seemed to have very little resistance so far as filter media.

I use Amsoil oil filters. Have several Hastings for Hydraulics and the rest NAPA Gold.