Oil for new ZT.

/ Oil for new ZT. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
Time for the 5 hour new engine oil change. Kawasaki FR series 24 hp. Manual gives the typical ranges of oil which always make it hard for me to decide.

I read somewhere but cannot find confirmation that Kawasaki put out a service bulletin recommending 10w-40 in their mower engines. I do not know if this is true but the oil Kawasaki sells in their engine "service" kits seems to always be 10w-40.

The manual says to check oil levels more often for multigrade oils as the engine will burn more oil.

For the next six months the mower will be used in hot to very hot weather. Temp rating for sae30 and 10w30 and 10w40 are the same on the high end. sae 40 is rated to ambient temps over 100 degrees. I'll probably be mowing in low to mid 90s a lot but never over 100.

I have no doubt that I'm overthinking this but I've never owned of cared for a relatively high dollar air cooled engine before.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward the 10w40.

And, I'm pretty good about doing routine maintenance and oil checks so that will not get neglected.

/ Oil for new ZT. #2  
I would recommend the 10W40 oil. Go with the multigrade oil that fits in with the highest temp you will be mowing. I run 15W40 in my Kubota M6040. It's what the owners manual recommends.

BTW - I don't have your concerns. Low to mid 90's - I'm under the shade tree with a cold lemonade.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Oil for new ZT. #3  
I've been running that same engine on my Country Clipper for 375 hrs. now - this is my 6th season and I have used the Kawasaki 30w oil exclusively. Pretty hot here in TN - mostly 90s during the summer. I change the oil once a season (at the beginning). Never have to add oil inbetween. The Kawasaki tune-up kits come with either oils, maybe your dealer just doesn't carry the 30w version. I also use the Kawasaki oil filters. I blow my mower/engine off/out thoroughly with air after every cut to keep from overheating.

/ Oil for new ZT. #4  
I just sold an old JD mower with Kawasaki engine on it. Always used M1 5w30 in it. Was always crystal clear. Seemed to never get dirty but changed every fall.

/ Oil for new ZT.
Thanks guys. I also blow mine off after every use. Just seems to make sense to me.

I will also plan on changing oil every year even if not required based on hours.

Funny thing is that that after a pleasant spring with plenty of rain there hasn't been any rain for around 10 days and little or none predicted for the next ten. Temps in the 90s all week. Grass isn't growing much right now. Not that I'm complaining about not having to mow.....but, new mower and all.............

/ Oil for new ZT. #6  
I've been running that same engine on my Country Clipper for 375 hrs. now - this is my 6th season and I have used the Kawasaki 30w oil exclusively. Pretty hot here in TN - mostly 90s during the summer. I change the oil once a season (at the beginning).
Something to consider. Change the oil at the end of the season before putting it up for storage. This way you don't have contaminants sitting in the oil and the oil has all of it's additive package at full strength to provide maximum protection.

/ Oil for new ZT.
Good idea.