Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date!

/ Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date! #1  

joh

Tractor
MF 1455 Power Shuttle, 4wd, 1040 FEL
Cleaning up, I discovered a 5 litre jug of full synthetic oil that had not been opened. I need 9.5 litres for a change. On a couple of threads I read, suggested that oil has a shelf life, due to the additives breaking down. Another concern, I had, was that the manufacture of this version of synthetic oil has discontinued making it. I was hoping to mix the old version with a newer, " improved" version. So, I thought best to contact the manufacturer and see what they would say!

The technical support representative seemed cautious about how much he wanted to say, in their returning email. I was only told, that the oil I had in my possession, shelf life had expired and to recycle it. No indication of why it had expired, nor how to know when it expired! My truck oil changes are based on a millage and time limit, which ever comes first!

Oil products don't have a best before date on them, so my question to you, is, when you buy, oil on sale, is it on sale, because the shelf life is just about over? Is there a bar code that identifies when the product was made, or when it expires? Does the retail outlet return the product for recycling, before it's usefulness is over. When or how due you know that you're getting the protection that you have paid for , at a fair price?

The tractor owner's manual, only has a hour of use limit on oil use, not using my tractor much these last few years, I thought it would be better to use synthetic lubricants. I realize that the makers of synthetic lubricants, only boast of their high millage (does that also include high hours of use?) capabilities and nothing about how long the lubricant can sit in your tractor, before it should be replaced.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter!

/ Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date! #3  
During my automotive part years, I attended several oil seminars, from various manufactures - that question always came up, the general answer it does not, what will cause issues is contamination - open containers that allow dust / dirt other chemical mixture will cause issues - they would stress the fact that the oil you are draining is not normally bad because of loss of lubricity it is bad because of contamination, blocking it's ability to perform. I've got straight 30 on my shelf that must be over fifteen years old - it use to be popular for small engines - not a lot of call for it now, I have one engine left that calls for it, and when I change it I grab one of the old qts and use it, it still looks new coming out of the container and obviously works well as have no problems with the engine.

Last edited:
   / Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date! #5  
Cleaning up, I discovered a 5 litre jug of full synthetic oil that had not been opened. I need 9.5 litres for a change. On a couple of threads I read, suggested that oil has a shelf life, due to the additives breaking down. Another concern, I had, was that the manufacture of this version of synthetic oil has discontinued making it. I was hoping to mix the old version with a newer, " improved" version. So, I thought best to contact the manufacturer and see what they would say!

The technical support representative seemed cautious about how much he wanted to say, in their returning email. I was only told, that the oil I had in my possession, shelf life had expired and to recycle it. No indication of why it had expired, nor how to know when it expired! My truck oil changes are based on a millage and time limit, which ever comes first!

Oil products don't have a best before date on them, so my question to you, is, when you buy, oil on sale, is it on sale, because the shelf life is just about over? Is there a bar code that identifies when the product was made, or when it expires? Does the retail outlet return the product for recycling, before it's usefulness is over. When or how due you know that you're getting the protection that you have paid for , at a fair price?

The tractor owner's manual, only has a hour of use limit on oil use, not using my tractor much these last few years, I thought it would be better to use synthetic lubricants. I realize that the makers of synthetic lubricants, only boast of their high millage (does that also include high hours of use?) capabilities and nothing about how long the lubricant can sit in your tractor, before it should be replaced.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter!

Full synthetic oil will last almost indefinitely. I'd have no problems at all in using it. I worked in lube oil industry for 31 years as a chemical engineer. Now, our research group never did any aging studies, but full synthetic oil in a closed container (or even one that had been opened but with lid put back one), has virtually nil anything in it that would oxidize, polymerize or whatever.

Dino oil or a blend or even so-called "synthetic" hydrotreated stuff do have some stuff that will degrade VERY slowly over time. Even those in a closed lid container, I would have no problems using. Maybe I'd recycle dino oil.

Ralph

/ Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date! #6  
Thoughts from one guy with a hobby background? I would rather hear it from oil techs....:2cents:

then don稚 read it......

/ Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date! #7  
then don稚 read it......

Too late.....and I wanted to know who's opinion it was. That is why I dug further. I wanted to know what training, experience, or technical background the person had. (or lack of)

/ Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date! #8  
Too late.....and I wanted to know who's opinion it was. That is why I dug further. I wanted to know what training, experience, or technical background the person had. (or lack of)

Why have you not found a source that is credible, to you, and posted the link?

/ Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date! #9  
I have been told or found someplace the shelf life was 5 years from date on container, but have never found date on container

/ Oil shelf Life -how to know the best before date! #10  
It may get too old and not rated for new engines. The rest of that is nonsense. There is no downside to a company saying its good for 2 or 5 years, you buy new. How does water or oxygen get in the bottle on the shelf? Does it really know what temp its stored at? Its used below 0 and at 200 degrees.