Oiliver Superior Grain Drill

/ Oiliver Superior Grain Drill
I used diesel, and let it sit for a couple of hours before draining it.

With the gear boxes filled with oil again, I think I am almost ready to start seeding, except for I am trying to figure out how it needs to be set as far as the seeding rate, and also the direction that the plates inside the seed bin need to be. I have 2 fifty pound bags of buckwheat to seed, and was going to plant 100 lbs. of seed per acre. I guess I can weight 25 lbs. of seed and measure how many quarts this is, multiply by 4, and use this figure to compare to the chart

The plates have a number 1 or 2 when facing up, depending on what direction they are flipped. There was fine seed in the grain bin when I got it and the plates were flipped so that the 1 was showing. I am guessing this means that if the 1 is showing, the 2 opening is covered by the flap.

I have never used a grain drill before, so would be thankful for any useful advice.

Sorry for editing the post. Needed to think about it a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_174230.jpg
    IMG_20190715_174230.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20190715_174308handle.jpg
    IMG_20190715_174308handle.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_20190715_185713 bin2.jpg
    IMG_20190715_185713 bin2.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20190715_185732 chart2.jpg
    IMG_20190715_185732 chart2.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
   / Oiliver Superior Grain Drill #12  
I can't help you with the settings. Have never used that drill. It's always a shot in the dark with me. :)

Post your results.

I put the settings at 1 and 8. The grain drill worked as it should. I will know more when the seed comes up. It sure beats broadcasting the seed by hand, like I had to do before. I wondered what I had gotten myself into when I got it at an auction a while back, though it was all there, and just needed a bit of TLC.

/ Oiliver Superior Grain Drill #14  
You did good!!!

Rate of application isn't as important as planting depth.

Small seeds, the rule is no more than 150% of seed diameter. That's extremely shallow. Too deep and you'll get poor stand.

Please post your results after it comes up. Someone else may come here and search info regarding this drill.

/ Oiliver Superior Grain Drill #15  
Here are a few photos of a Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill I refurbished about 10 years ago. Bought two of these from a neighbor for $250. Both were restored. Parked one on my front lawn. It's 10 ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers.

M5525 drill---3.JPGM5525  drill-1.JPGDrill-6.JPGDrill cal-3.JPGDrill cal-2.JPGDrill cal-1.JPGKanota oats-1.JPGKanota oats-2.JPG

I calibrated the feed mechanism by jacking up the drill, putting a weighed amount of grain in the hopper and counting the number of turns of the drive wheel to empty the hopper. Knowing the diameter of the drive wheel (4 ft) and calculating the perimeter of the wheel (diameter X pi) and using the width and number of turns, you calculate the area and then divide weight of seed by area to get pounds per acre. There are other ways to do this, but I think this is the most accurate way for a drill like this.

The photos show the seeding result using Kanota oats.

The tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525.

Be sure to lift the openers before making a turn. I installed a hydraulic ram for this job. It has two trip clutches with pull ropes but that was a little too authentic for me.

Good luck

Thanks for all the information!

The Oliver drill I have has hand operated levers on the back of the drill to raise up the discs before making a turn. Sort of time consuming when operating it solo, without someone standing on the board on the back.

/ Oiliver Superior Grain Drill #17  
Nice restorations Flusher!!! Thanks for the pics.

Here's a photo of the buckwheat seeding rate.

I would use the 1-7 settings I think next time. The seeding depth seems to have been OK.

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_084635.jpg
    IMG_20190723_084635.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
   / Oiliver Superior Grain Drill #19  
I agree. Thanks for the followup pic.