Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig.

/ Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig. #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
I have a Hobart 140 and love it for small stuff, and I have a Hobart stickmate 235 ac/dc I use for most everything else. I壇 like a mig that goes up to 1/2? This forum led me in the right direction on the hypertherm 45 so lets see what mig I get. I致e had a miller ac buzz box then went to the Hobart ac/dc and like it a lot but I think I may like the ease of a trigger pull on bigger stuff. I do like the Hobart but seems they may have changed. I know I can稚 afford anything like the black and yellow machines but there must be good reliable cheaper machines with high duty cycles.

/ Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig. #2  
   / Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig.
I would like to go Hobart but have they cheapened up? I noticed they got rid of their stickmate line except for a small one.

/ Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig. #5  
Hobart ain't been Hobart since ITW bought Hobart Bros.
Official (removed) Opinion, NOT WORTH PRICE

Duty Cycle - ain't been a problem yet on any real machine. Duty cycle on man steering arc far lower than machine most days. Robot might hit duty cycle but never met man who did.

Big Secret in welding Machines HTP America. Not sure dey runnin any Christmas deals or not. Machines mostly made in Italy,
HONEST company to do business with. Don't see many complaints about HTP machines.. Got 800 number and reports are man who answers knows what he talkin about.

Last I bought wire 10# rolls dey shipped to door cheaper den LWS had. Good inventory on hand too.

Beyond dat, mail order welding machines are crap shoot. Might be ahead going to Horrible Fright wid walk in return and NO FREIGHT.

/ Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig. #6  
You can use amps that you don't pay for.

To paraphrase a very well known "Hobbyist" that used to post and help a lot of folks, there are a lot of MIG machines out there that make really pretty welds on material but with out the amps you can't get the penetration.

I know that is not exactly the way he would phrase it but the idea is still the same. Don't bother with a MIG for anything of thickness unless you are willing to pay for the amps that are necessary to to do the job.

/ Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig. #7  
HTP America doesn't tout 'Made in USA', so I wouldn't assume that any more than I think it's a deal maker/breaker.

Some Red Wing shoes and some Kohler engines are made in Asia. Quality is about specs demanded by the seller more than capability to meet them.

HFT welders are a good option as noted above. Just be sure to try them out during the warranty period.

Everlast is my brand for multi-process now. Buy direct vs from Az if you consider the brand. (I'll keep a Miller for stick)

A was said, wire welders of don't give great penetration on thick steel. I'm using .045 MIG wire above 120a or so.

btw, you may pay for amps you don't use, but only once. :2cents:

/ Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig. #8  
Made in America just another sales thng.
Kinda like pregnant woman sneakin across border so kid delivered in America has US Citizenship.

/ Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig.
Multiprocess units looking interesting. Everlast a good unit?

/ Ok, lets spend some more money. Need to upgrade mig. #10  
I'm quite happy with my Everlast 'bad idea'. Gee, it's 2020 & if some part crapped that couldn't be fixed I'd have all those torches, leads, the tig setup, and all kinds of consumable that I'd have to live with and use elsewhere. ;) If one function goes jinky it's possible another will still work until fixed. I'm not hard on equipment, and repair my own tools anyway. Nothing has 'broken' yet and YMMV.

(removed), the '60s are over. :laughing: Some newer stuff can be serviced DIY with parts and help available online. IIRC that includes tools. :)