Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
If you love old airplanes like you love old tractors, this could be of interest to you!

This is shaping up to be a big deal. I was hearing the distinctive rumble of the radials this weekend.

If you are in the DC area proper, including Culpeper and Manassas, and of course the mall in DC on May 8th, check this out:

About the Flyover | Arsenal of Democracy Flyover

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific #2  
When I was aboard the USS Carl Vinson, we went to Hawaii for the 50 year VJ event and took about 12 old WW2 aircraft which we deck launched for the event. No catapults. Like slow motion, launch a F8, a F4U, then fire off a F18. Amazing event. We usually have old bomber event at the local airport, you can hear then from miles away. Love the sound of radial engines.

mark

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific #3  
Thanks for the heads-up! This sounds like something my boys would LOVE to see!

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific #4  
We saw two flying over yesterday headed north. They sounded very rough compared to a newer plane.

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific #5  
I've had some of the old bombers fly over my house when there's an air show at Alliance Airport in Ft. Worth. The engine sound is unmistakable. When I hear one, I'm like a little kid running out the door looking skyward to see what it is. My wife and kids think I'm nuts.

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific #6  
There is no sweeter sound than that of a radial engine.

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific #7  
True; but the sound of a Merlin in a P-51 is equally as sweet and as distinctive as a Packard Grill.

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific #9  
I have an aviation background and simply love old birds.
From time to time I had occasion to do service on some from PBY's to Musketo's including L4's AT6', Dehavland Beaver, Otter Chipmunk etc.
Then I also worked on just about every small civilian 'oldie' as well, from Piper J3, Stinsons, Taylorcraft,Cessnas, etc etc.
LOL, now I'm into tractors!

/ Old Airplanes, flyover Northern VA and DC specific
Bump.

Friday's weather looks to be perfect!