Old but unopened ATF

/ Old but unopened ATF #1  

firefighter jim

Gold Member
I have a few unopened containers of automatic transmission fluid (Dextron) from the mid 90's. Is it O.K. to use if needed? Didn't know if it degrades after a while. Thanks

/ Old but unopened ATF #2  
Think of it like drinking milk a week after it expired - you can, but you probably don't want to...

/ Old but unopened ATF
Think of it like drinking milk a week after it expired - you can, but you probably don't want to...

Didn't know ATF had an expiration date and wasn't really thinking of drinking it.

/ Old but unopened ATF #5  
Im sure there some vehicles around that are still running on mid 90's ATF. It met spec then and im sure it still does now. Id use it.

/ Old but unopened ATF #6  
I have a few unopened containers of automatic transmission fluid (Dextron) from the mid 90's. Is it O.K. to use if needed? Didn't know if it degrades after a while. Thanks

I would use it. Neither you nor the tranny will know the diff.

/ Old but unopened ATF #7  
i've still got straggling bottles of typ-f atf, 10w-40 & 20w-50 left over from full cases i bought for vehicles i owned back in the 80's. i use them in odd fluid top-offs and small engine oil changes when i remember them. it all works fine.

/ Old but unopened ATF #8  
Didn't know ATF had an expiration date and wasn't really thinking of drinking it.

It does indeed have an expiration date and it sounds like you want to feed to something expensive. Some people like to use quality fluids in their vehicles and equipment, some don't, so that's the choice you're making.

Email the manufacturer and I can guarantee they will tell you it is "expired" and offer a long explanation why. Yes, it will still work, but not as well as a new quart.

Have anything with a diesel engine? It will make better fuel than ATF...

/ Old but unopened ATF #10  
ATF is basically 5w or 10w oil with some anti-foaming agents added, maybe another "magic" chemical or two for whatever purpose. Since this ATF is unopened it hasn't been exposed to air or any other contaminants and it's roughly 15 years old. Now then, how many vehicles do you think are out there older than 15 years that are running the same ATF they came out of the factory with ? I'd be willing to wager there are quite a few. My 1993 Nissan truck has the original power steering fluid (pretty much the same as ATF) and has 236,000 miles on it with no problems with the system, no leaks at all, even. I use my power steering as an example because my trans is a manual. There shouldn't be a thing wrong with that ATF - use it.