Old cast iron soap kettle

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #1  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
View attachment 574141I have an old cast iron soap kettle like the attached picture. For some reason it has developed a large crack running from the lip about half way down the side. I've had a nylon strap with ratchet around the kettle and this crack can be closed up.

Do you think that a local welding shop would be able to weld up the crack and save this old kettle???

If necessary - I can post a picture of the actual kettle as soon as it gets light here.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #2  
If you can find an experienced welder, probably so but it's like playing the lottery, you may get lucky, you may not.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #3  
Welding cast iron is not the same as welding steel. I've read up on it, but have never done it. You'll need to find a welder that has done it successfully before.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #4  
I'd enjoy fixing that with Spray Powder. Looks good, Never Cracks. but yes it's likely in good enough shape to be repaired by welding as well. If you were closer I'd fix it for you.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #5  
I've brazed them up. While it won't match, it does add a "unique" look to it, giving a nod to the survivorship of the piece and keeps it functional. The contrast is nice and over the years it will patina.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #6  
I've brazed them up. While it won't match, it does add a "unique" look to it, giving a nod to the survivorship of the piece and keeps it functional. The contrast is nice and over the years it will patina.

I’m quite partial to the unique look of a good braze repair job.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #7  
I have several of these cauldrons, one was cracked about the same as yours. Mine are cast steel, so the repair was straight forward. Stitch welding with nickel rod is easily done, but I suggest you drill a small hole just after the crack to block any further fracture.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #8  
I wouldn't let anyone touch it unless they can prove they have experience with large old castings or you may end up with a real mess, those big pots are a difficult type of casting to repair even for someone with experence.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle #9  
I also vote for brazing. With the old cast pots the material is usually porous compared to more modern castings and the material thickness is not uniform. Both these issues add to the difficulty of welding. Brazing is your best bet if you want to keep using the pot.

/ Old cast iron soap kettle
Thanks guys - next trip into town I will talk to the owner of the welding shop. I'll let you know what he has to say.