Dealer One less East Texas Yanmar Dealer

/ One less East Texas Yanmar Dealer #1  

bwym342

Tractor
YM342
Chambers in Wills Point has shut down since the unexpected death of the owner. It looks like the business will be shut down.
I really liked T.L. - He was a really nice guy and I'm sorry to see him go.

Has anyone heard anything more than rumors that the dealership in Kerens will take over that location?

Or any more news on a Yanmar dealer in Athens?

/ One less East Texas Yanmar Dealer #2  
I'm sorry to hear that he passed away. I did have my YT359 serviced at the Karen's dealership before Christmas. There was mention of him opening a dealership in the Canton area.

/ One less East Texas Yanmar Dealer
I'm sorry to hear that he passed away. I did have my YT359 serviced at the Karen's dealership before Christmas. There was mention of him opening a dealership in the Canton area.
Yea I had to drive over to get filters and they said they were hoping to be in place in February.

Do you have 359 or a 359c? I bought the YM342, and I'm already at the "I need a bigger tractor" stage.
I want an open station tractor and 60hp seems like a good upgrade from 42.

I really like the simplicity of the manual/mechanical transmission in the YM, but the A/B mode in the YT has me thinking ...

I seem to be constantly shifting from 4-low to 1 or 2-high on the YM ...

/ One less East Texas Yanmar Dealer #5  
I have the 359c. I grew up on my grandpa's farm, and None of his tractors had cabs. That's just one perk I wanted. It took me a minute to get used to the A/B mode- but I can pretty much do everything in 2nd gear. I only shift into 3rd when I need to get somewhere fast. The shuttle shift was also new to me. Its all second nature now at 64 hours in the last 8 months.
I went from a 25hp 1977 "grey market" Yanmar. This 359c is perfect.
Call down there to PR Equipment in Kerens, and talk with Dante or the owner Nick. Nick also has several videos about the 359. I watched all of those before I made a trip down there to test drive it.

If they open up the new dealership in Canton, it's about 6 one way or half a dozen the other from where I'm at.

I have the 359c. I grew up on my grandpa's farm, and None of his tractors had cabs. That's just one perk I wanted. It took me a minute to get used to the A/B mode- but I can pretty much do everything in 2nd gear. I only shift into 3rd when I need to get somewhere fast. The shuttle shift was also new to me. Its all second nature now at 64 hours in the last 8 months.
I went from a 25hp 1977 "grey market" Yanmar. This 359c is perfect.
Call down there to PR Equipment in Kerens, and talk with Dante or the owner Nick. Nick also has several videos about the 359. I watched all of those before I made a trip down there to test drive it.

If they open up the new dealership in Canton, it's about 6 one way or half a dozen the other from where I'm at.
The YM342 is the first new tractor I have owned, and I already have just over 180 hours in about 6 months.
I grew up around open station tractors, and even though it gets hot around here I prefer the open station -- My hearing is bad enough and who knows what I would drive over or how much equipment I could damage if I couldn't hear what was going on :D.

How does the YT transmission compare to the manual in regards to pulling and pushing power?

My younger brother got one of the smaller SA model Yanmars (26HP I think) after I bought mine. He got his with a the HST transmission.
I have only driven that one and a small JD HST (The JD probably had a yanmar engine in trans in it.)
I really didn't like either one of them.
Wayy too much whine and they feel like the brakes are locked all the time.

I tried a brand new [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] before buying the Yanmar and while it didn't whine as much it felt pretty much the same.

/ One less East Texas Yanmar Dealer #7  
I grew up on my grandpa's open station tractors and he had the field tractor which was an old Massey Ferguson with the fabric bonnet look like a little house on the prairie bonnet to keep you out of the sun. And the yellow Massey was the loader tractor that he used for dirt work and everything else. That was the HST and it had a lot more play in it. Like you could go forward to grab the dirt let off, and then hit the reverse and it wasn't real jerky. Maybe that's cuz it was worn out but it worked forever. In fact my cousin bought it about 10 years ago and short of a small fuel issue, it's still in running order right now.
I too drove a brand new [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] and didn't like the way the HST just locks down the moment you let off the pedal. And my sister and brother-in-law have a TYM open station that is a hydrostat and it does the same thing.

As far as pulling power, I've had zero issues with it here on the farm. I have my back pasture in round bales, and I carry one on the front and one on the back about a quarter mile from the bottoms back up to the top. It's a fairly good incline and I have no issues whatsoever. I run it in second gear at 2000ish RPMs and it doesn't miss a lick.

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_073321.jpg
    IMG_20220613_073321.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 86
   / One less East Texas Yanmar Dealer #8  
That is sad. You know what's funny.. not funny with regards to his death but I did go there when looking for my new Yanmar. I met the man. He was a nice guy but a very persistent old school salesman. After looking at his facility, his office and his not so modern service area, I decided not to buy from him as I was concerned for his longevity. He continued to call and leave messages every day for a week. I ended up buying from PR in Kerens.

That is sad. You know what's funny.. not funny with regards to his death but I did go there when looking for my new Yanmar. I met the man. He was a nice guy but a very persistent old school salesman. After looking at his facility, his office and his not so modern service area, I decided not to buy from him as I was concerned for his longevity. He continued to call and leave messages every day for a week. I ended up buying from PR in Kerens.
You could really tell he was an old-school car salesman -- but I liked him and he treated me extremely well in the short time I knew him.
How many dealers have you had stop by your house to just to check in to see how the new tractor was working?

That shop was by no means modern -- but the majority of the equipment I saw there being worked on wasn't either.
Someone around here has a Ford 8n being restored and he had it there getting it running again.

/ One less East Texas Yanmar Dealer #10  
DPS: 2 Canton drivers killed after head-on collision

VAN ZANDT COUNTY — Two Canton drivers died Tuesday afternoon after a head-on collision on Highway 64 in Van Zandt County.

Ricky D. Daniel, 42, of Canton, was traveling westbound in a 2005 Pontiac G6 on State Highway 64, while Thelbert L. Thompson, 89, of Canton, was traveling eastbound in a 2020 Ford F-150 on the same highway, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Daniel drove into the oncoming lane and Thompson’s vehicle head-on, DPS said. The crash happened around noon on Tuesday.

DPS said Daniel was pronounced dead at the scene and Thompson was pronounced dead at a Canton hospital.