One Way Valve On A Hydraulic Motor

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G Bobcat V417 TORO+Loader
This one way valve prevents the motor from turning the blades backwards.

Does it have any other function?
P3290009 Arrow.JPG

Last edited:

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
2017 Branson F36Rn (3515R)
Yes, it allows for free wheeling if you put the valve in Neutral. A valve that is not a motor spool that is.

Let's say you're powering the mower with a regular spool valve meant for a cylinder (as in A & B ports blocked in Neutral). If you put that valve in Neutral without the check valve, something would pop, either a hose or most likely the motor would blow the seals or crack the housing with the excess pressure. With the check valve, it allows fluid to recirculate in its own short circuit.

OP
Xfaxman

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G Bobcat V417 TORO+Loader
OK thanks. The reason I asked is the second time mowing, the left blade hit a tree root that stopped it from spinning and the hose on the pressure side blew apart.

Since I know which way to move the aux hydraulics lever on the joystick, I wanted to remove the one way valve.

Guess I better get a new hose made.

Attachments

• Aestr Hose.JPG
    Aestr Hose.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
Possible solution would be to install a cross port relief in parallel with the check to absorb the water hammer shock of the blades stalling. In theory the system relief on your BobCat will limit pressure but the issue is the length of the line between the implement and the relief and the inertia induced water hammer which can also potentially damage the motor.