Oil & Fuel Online Manual for Deutz Diesel?

/ Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #21  
On my BF3L2011, you can hear the solenoid click, and with it closed there is no fuel flow. First, I would check the manual fuel shutoff to make sure that it isn't thrown.

Since you have fuel flow by pressurizing the tank, that argues that the solenoid is at least partially open. It might be worth pulling the solenoid to verify that it is actually moving the full amount. If it is, I would agree that the fuel pump has gone. You can get rebuild kits pretty easily, or just buy a whole new pump.

Given that you say that this an "old" unit, my bet would be that the diaphragm on the fuel has cracked.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #22  
I can hear the solenoid, but I dont know if the armatures on it are intact. I didnt remove it, just tested it in place.

What I really need to know is will the fuel lift pump function and push fuel to the filter, even if the solenoid isnt functioning properly.

/ Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #23  
I can hear the solenoid, but I dont know if the armatures on it are intact. I didnt remove it, just tested it in place.

What I really need to know is will the fuel lift pump function and push fuel to the filter, even if the solenoid isnt functioning properly.
No, the fuel pump won't move fuel if the intake line is fully blocked. (E.g. by a stuck solenoid) A partially open solenoid might prevent the engine from running.

However, the fact that you can move some fuel by pressurizing the tank suggests that the solenoid is at least partially open.

The fact that the fuel pump doesn't seem to pump any fuel suggests to me that it is in need of a rebuild or replacement.

So, as I wrote above, I think that you need to remove the fuel pump and see whether it is bad (you can manually move it to see if it pumps). Rebuild or replace as necessary. Do clean the fuel pump and the area around it really well before removing any fuel lines. As a diesel, you want to keep the fuel system super clean, which means cleaning the area to spotless.

I am sorry that things aren't working well.

All the best,
Peter

/ Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #24  
Thank you for the clarification.

/ Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #25  
Had a similar issue to you a little while ago with a no start situation on my Deutz 1460. The factory information is not clear related to the function of the solenoid, spring, and manual shut off lever.
Tried to understand exactly how the solenoid worked in relation to the manual shut off lever and spring. I could not determine if the manual shut off lever function can bypass the solenoid/spring in the on position? The manual shut off lever obviously bypasses the solenoid in the off position because you can turn off the machine manually by moving the fuel rack with the shut off lever manually. I tried tying the manual shut off lever in the on position (thinking I was bypassing a possibly bad solenoid by doing this) with some wire but nothing changed. So, I ended up cleaning the entire fuel system out and replacing the fuel pump and all filters. Filled the fuel filter and lines to fuel pump with new deisel and it started first click.
Running like a champ ever since then. I would bet that is your issue also.

Last edited:
   / Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #27  
I got the solenoid out today, but it was not easy like it should have been. Bolts came out pretty easy but I really fought to pull it out though, now that it's out, there doesn't look like anything is bent or it was caught on anything. Fuel rail looks ok and moves with shut off lever

Solenoid appears to be fully functioning and makes full motion. Engine still doesn't start with solenoid out which tells me it is the pump (fingers crossed) but could there be issue with something else?

And lastly. Were pumps between 1011 and 2011 interchangeable? Because I have a BF3L2011 but my pump looks like the 1011 pump. Every pump I find listed for a 2011 motor had a primer hand pump on it and mine does not. Pretty sure I couldn't get that style on due to orientation of other components.

/ Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #28  
In general, Deutz distributors want your engine serial number to get parts to match. There are lots of engine options, e.g. where the oil filler is, etc.

That said, my BF3L2011 fuel lift pump does not have a priming pump on it. (Fuel tank is above the pump, so it is unnecessary.) It also doesn't have the integrated prescreen that many others have. It is possible that the priming pump and screen are factory upgrades, though my technical manual shows the style of pump that I have.

If you aren't going the route of rebuilding the fuel pump, I would call Foley engines or DK engines with your serial number and see what they recommend.

All the best,

Peter

/ Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #29  
Can you determine if the manual shutoff lever will bypass the solenoid when the solenoid is present inside the motor and you have the manual shutoff lever in the on position?
There is a spring in there and I dont know if the manual shutoff lever will bypass a bad solenoid in the on position?
This would be very helpful to know because if you can tie and hold the manual shutoff lever in the on position with a piece of wire and it bypasses the solenoid you can get your machine home if the solenoid is bad. Also, if its possibly a bad fuel pump or bad solenoid you can take the solenoid out of the diagnosis by wiring the manual shutoff lever in the on position.

/ Online Manual for Deutz Diesel? #30  
I am not 100% sure, but I think that they are in series. If the manual shutoff is open and the solenoid is on, fuel flows. If either one shuts then the engine has no fuel.

I think of the manual shutoff as an emergency shutdown. "If all else fails, pull the handle."

All the best,

Peter