Opinions on High Mileage Oil

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil #1  

sld

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1210 / Ford 1710
What do you guys think about the current high mileage oils?

In particular, my son's 100k mile Ranger has a slight oil leak. It is not the pan or valve covers that I can see. I have read where the seal conditioners in these new high mileage oils can help slow down or even stop oil leaks.

Any experience out there?

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil #2  
Try it, you have nothing to loose.

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil #3  
i have used the valvoline high mileage oil with no luck...6 liter gmc 2500 with over 200000 miles....going to try lucas oil leak repair next time

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil #4  
Some high mileage oils don't meet the latest SN specs, but at 100k, that likely is not a concern for you Sid.

I'd try a name brand HM oil, then move to the Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak if the HM oil doesn't do what you want.

I've seen good results with that Lucas product on the 6L GM application polk mentioned - dramatically reduced a rear main leak.

Consider these products to be First Aid, not an organ transplant - If a seal is mechanically damaged (torn/broken) no liquid will shut off the leak entirely.

Rgds, D.

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil
Agreed Dave. But if the leak is very slow chances are that the seal has just shrunk or become brittle. It's just enough to leave a small spot on the garage floor daily. It appears to be the rear main seal and I am NOT pulling the tranny to replace it.

As Gary said at this point I have nothing to lose. From what I read they are still a quality oil.

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil #6  
Agreed Dave. But if the leak is very slow chances are that the seal has just shrunk or become brittle. It's just enough to leave a small spot on the garage floor daily. It appears to be the rear main seal and I am NOT pulling the tranny to replace it.

As Gary said at this point I have nothing to lose. From what I read they are still a quality oil.

Any of the name brand HM oils will serve you well, from a lube standpoint. If they happen to be an earlier Sx spec, the typically higher level of Zinc and Phosphorus additives they use are a good thing IMO.

I'd try one oil change with HM oil, then try the Lucas after that if the leak isn't tamed.

Rgds, D.

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil #7  
I had a noisy 97 Subaru and the Castrol GTX High Mileage made a very noticeable difference. Not sure about leaks.

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil #8  
I worked 31 years in the lube oil industry and have no idea what these things have or don't have vs. "normal" oils. They were unheard of when I was working.

I've converted a number of high mileage (or hours) engines to synthetic with no leakage problems. My old Gravely (with Kohler engine) actually quit using oil after its 3rd change on Mobil 1.

Many oil leakage problems on high mileage engines occur due to higher blowback into the crankcase and causing pressure there. There's usually oil leakage from oil being entrained with the crankcase gases being recycled to the intake system. I had to engineer a convoluted heater hose to stop entrainment in our daughter's old Ford. You just need a longer piece of hose with a couple turns and place it so where it comes from the crankcase, it'll drain deentrained oil back into the crankcase (or the valve cover area).

Ralph

/ Opinions on High Mileage Oil
I worked 31 years in the lube oil industry and have no idea what these things have or don't have vs. "normal" oils. They were unheard of when I was working.

I've converted a number of high mileage (or hours) engines to synthetic with no leakage problems. My old Gravely (with Kohler engine) actually quit using oil after its 3rd change on Mobil 1.

Many oil leakage problems on high mileage engines occur due to higher blowback into the crankcase and causing pressure there. There's usually oil leakage from oil being entrained with the crankcase gases being recycled to the intake system. I had to engineer a convoluted heater hose to stop entrainment in our daughter's old Ford. You just need a longer piece of hose with a couple turns and place it so where it comes from the crankcase, it'll drain deentrained oil back into the crankcase (or the valve cover area).

Ralph

You are right about the crankcase pressure. A properly operating PCV valve is critical. This one is probably original so I will replace it too.