Opinions on will this cause harm

/ Opinions on will this cause harm #1  

shiftsuper175607

Tractor
none
I was changing my oil at the ranch...noticed that I had wrong oil.
Calls for 5W20 and I had 0w20.
I had already drained it, so, it was put dirty oil in or the new synthetic of wrong weight.
this is in a Ford Ranger 2.3 ltr engine with 116,000 miles.

i know many engines show multiple weights of oil depending on temperature range.

/ Opinions on will this cause harm #2  
Take a look in the owners manual, should be fine.

/ Opinions on will this cause harm #4  
It won't know or care, just pour it and go.

/ Opinions on will this cause harm #6  
The main reason that manufacturers are calling for those thin oils is to boost mpg ratings. They spec that stuff for everything knowing that it will gain them 0.00003456 more mpg which boosts their fuel economy across their entire product line keeping the CAFE happy.

/ Opinions on will this cause harm #7  
No harm, no foul, or is that fowl? I switched my 5w20 vehicles to 0w20 years ago.

/ Opinions on will this cause harm #8  
The main reason that manufacturers are calling for those thin oils is to boost mpg ratings. They spec that stuff for everything knowing that it will gain them 0.00003456 more mpg which boosts their fuel economy across their entire product line keeping the CAFE happy.
Not entirely true. Tighter tolerances require thinner oil for circulation. New engines are getting far more miles than the sloppy built engines of yesteryear.

/ Opinions on will this cause harm #9  
More like variable valve timing than increased mileage. VVT engine require a thinner oil because it provides instant lubrication and pressure to the VVT assemblies at the ends of the camshafts, which actuate when the engine is first started and then change valve timing as the motor warms up.

If the Ranger don't have VVT, I'd not be concerned at all.

Been using 5-40 Rotella T6 in my Ford focus with VVT all along and I average 40 mpg, city and highway which is well above the EPA listed mileage. I run 5-40 in EVEREYTHING actually, Tractors, cars, trucks and motorcycles. Buy it in 55 gallon drums, less expensive that way. Used oil in one drum, new in another and my supplier exchanges them when I call. No muss, no fuss. No pollution.

/ Opinions on will this cause harm #10  
Careful that you don't confuse tolerance vs. clearance.
Careful that you don't confuse clearance vs. tolerance.