Opinions please on this grapple attachment

/ Opinions please on this grapple attachment #1  

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
What do you guys think about a Ryan's grapple for the 1430? If you follow the link they list the 4240 as 308lbs (about the same as the grapple bucket PT sells). It is on the pricey side for these log grapples at $3675 (+shipping), but if you consider it comes with a hydraulic rotator and a electric/hyd valve to switch from grapple to rotator with one hyd circuit it maybe a little better.

If you watch videos for the rotating grapples, it appears to make it nice to be able to pick/place at any angle and not having to position the tractor.

Grapples - Ryan's Equipment

Attachments

• 40-4-530x420.jpg
    40-4-530x420.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 192
  • log grapple.png
    log grapple.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 156
   / Opinions please on this grapple attachment #2  
Its hard to tell from the pictures, but I'd wonder about it's geometry vs. actual lifting capacity of the machine. If it puts the load significantly farther from the machine than the bucket does, the lift capacity of the machine might go down dramatically with this attachment on it. Not sure the size/weight of logs you're try to move. The ideal situation would be to try one before buying, but I'm guessing that's probably not going to be an option for you? Interesting attachment though.

/ Opinions please on this grapple attachment #3  
If you move a whole lot of logs - I can definitely see what draws you to this attachment. However - I would want to do a lot of research regarding lift capacities. What WoodDuck says. Are your logs the size that you would have to add counter balance weight.

/ Opinions please on this grapple attachment #4  
You're talking to a guy with $29 logging tongs on a chain... which seem to work just fine. I don't get out of the seat for several hours at a time.

545548d1521982629-firewood-gathering-power-trac-f612d1c4-fff9-4f56-bc77-b160c56d4b27

564366d1532699857-firewood-gathering-power-trac-1c9bd345-4e50-47c0-967c-c1a808562124

545550d1521982805-firewood-gathering-power-trac-a573f44f-ebf4-4150-a1ef-cfa64ad20bdd

/ Opinions please on this grapple attachment #5  
Moss - you make a compelling point. It could be hard to justify, considering the price difference. Plus your setup would be a whole lot less weight to deal with.
I have no knowledge of logging as you guys do. I always thought you just wrapped a chain around a log and pulled.

Undergrowth and the multitude of small trees certainly add to the "adventure" of your operations, Moss.

/ Opinions please on this grapple attachment
My interest is more for cleaning brush piles. I actually don't skid many logs, mostly lift and cut in place. I have acres and acres of Mountain Laurel that is very bushy and hard material that piles high very very quickly which is a concern on the limited 40" opening on this brand. Others (ebay) that don't look as refined open to 53" (manual rotation). I was watching some Youtube videos where the tractor can just drive up at any angle (like 45deg.), rotates the grapple to match the material grabs, lifts spins to match the next object, drops, opens and grabs, repeat until full grapple, drive to dump site or truck, rotate to match and drop. It seemed very smooth and quick. I never used one of these. With the grapple bucket, you have to face it down and compress the pile then closed grapple (while compressed) to get good capacity. With these, they use a free swinging swivel at the connection to the boom. Seems like you wouldn't be able to push it down into the brush to get a good grasp and that it would slip off in some random direction which would aggravate me. As far as lift capacity, I compare it to using the front hoe with the thumb. Mine is not PT and is way out in front, yet it can still lift good size rocks. So I think I can live with the capacity. (But that would be a consideration for resell value on what mounting plate, PT {light weight with better locks} or SSQA {vast market + fits my Kubota}).

Attachments

• Resized_20191101_171607.jpeg
    Resized_20191101_171607.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Resized_20191101_171624.jpeg
    Resized_20191101_171624.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 134
   / Opinions please on this grapple attachment
Video of similar grapple (notice the "skid steer" has the optional steering axles so it doesn't tear up the grass)

LOG GRAPPLE - YouTube

/ Opinions please on this grapple attachment #8  
After seeing Mosses logging tongs, i picked up a pair. It really helps for moving logs around and helps keep them out of the dirt. Your chainsaw will appreciate that.

But if i were to pick something for moving brush, it would probably be something like a grapple or 4-1 bucket. You could probably stack higher much faster as well.

/ Opinions please on this grapple attachment #9  
Could you just brush hog the Mountain Laurel?

Just curious... I have never worked with it.

All the best,

Peter

/ Opinions please on this grapple attachment #10  
I would gladly throw away my single lid grapple for one of these. Impossible to get long stuff out of a forest or move it down a road or trail.