Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #1  

stumpmj

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 TLB
Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking for a while and I’m finally getting close to pulling the trigger on a small tractor; either a Kioti CK2610 or a Kubota L2501 (going round with quotes and trying to make a final decision). The planned usage is 350’ long gravel driveway maintenance (box blade or land plane), putting in a large garden (tiller), fence building (3 point PHD), planting trees (PHD and backhoe), adding some small drainage ditches (backhoe) to reduce standing water around the property, and general household tractoring stuff.

What I’m unsure of right now is what options to get. So far, I’m planning on a loader with a QC bucket and a backhoe. What I’m unsure of is what other options I should be considering. Here’s the current list I’d love everyone’s input on:

Remotes: I know I need to two rear remotes for the backhoe; a spring return and a detent. Given my planned usage, is there any reason to get a third?

Loader third function: no plans for anything like a grapple right now as we don’t really have much brush to move. If I change my mind later, is it terribly difficult to it later? I’m mechanically inclined (I can rebuild an engine as an example) but haven’t had a tractor before. I’d much rather hold off on ordering for now unless there’s a compelling reason to order from the factory.

Backhoe thumb: leaning towards a mechanical thumb because I can see where one would be super handy but I’m trying to compromise on cost vs a hydraulic thumb. Good/bad plan?

Canopy: I’m getting one but I’m unsure if I’m better off ordering from the factory or aftermarket

Is there anything else I should be ordering?

Thank for your input! I’m looking forward to sharing projects with you as we get going with them in the spring.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #2  

crashz

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
Snow handling? Not sure where you are located.

Here are couple opinions:
- I've heard from multiple people that PHD are the least used attachment. If you are going with a backhoe, I'd forget it.
- I bought a canopy from my L. It was pretty nice. Took it off day 2 and never re-installed (I should try to sell that). I park my tractor indoors and it won't fit with the ROPS up and canopy installed.
- If you have any inclination that you may want a grapple, get the third function now. My biggest mistake was not getting the remotes and third function when I ordered the machine. I was being cheap and stupid.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #3  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I have a BH and never used my PHD so got rid of it. If you were building miles of fence maybe, but less than 1k feet a year I wouldn’t. Especially if you have rocks or roots.

I don’t see anything that will keep even two rear remotes busy. I hay and I’ve only got two and I’ve never thought I was lacking.

I have a hydraulic thumb on my MX and absolutely love it…it was really expensive though. Have I gotten my money’s worth? I’d have to think hard. I had a mechanical on my BX and it wasn’t helpful. On a L25 it might slow you down a lot just due to the hydraulic flow you have.

Third function valve is something I’d probably add up front. I’ve never seen an after market 3rd function that looked like it belonged and often not very ergonomic in their control location.

The L25 is an outstanding 25 HP machine because it’s got the weight to do the work, but it doesn’t have a lot of hydraulic flow or PT HP so just be ready to have patience when doing those tasks.

ETA
If you can afford the hydraulic thumb I’d just leave it and go up to an L39.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #4  

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
A top cylinder that replaces the turnbuckle type top link is really useful when using a box blade. It lets you adjust the blade's angle of attack from the seat rather than getting off and turning the turnbuckle. The angle determines how aggressively it cuts into the ground. A tilt cylinder is useful to set the blade at an angle. I don't know if top and tilt are as useful with a land plane.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #5  

hornett22

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1626
Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking for a while and I’m finally getting close to pulling the trigger on a small tractor; either a Kioti CK2610 or a Kubota L2501 (going round with quotes and trying to make a final decision). The planned usage is 350’ long gravel driveway maintenance (box blade or land plane), putting in a large garden (tiller), fence building (3 point PHD), planting trees (PHD and backhoe), adding some small drainage ditches (backhoe) to reduce standing water around the property, and general household tractoring stuff.

What I’m unsure of right now is what options to get. So far, I’m planning on a loader with a QC bucket and a backhoe. What I’m unsure of is what other options I should be considering. Here’s the current list I’d love everyone’s input on:

Remotes: I know I need to two rear remotes for the backhoe; a spring return and a detent. Given my planned usage, is there any reason to get a third?

Loader third function: no plans for anything like a grapple right now as we don’t really have much brush to move. If I change my mind later, is it terribly difficult to it later? I’m mechanically inclined (I can rebuild an engine as an example) but haven’t had a tractor before. I’d much rather hold off on ordering for now unless there’s a compelling reason to order from the factory.

Backhoe thumb: leaning towards a mechanical thumb because I can see where one would be super handy but I’m trying to compromise on cost vs a hydraulic thumb. Good/bad plan?

Canopy: I’m getting one but I’m unsure if I’m better off ordering from the factory or aftermarket

Thank for your input! I’m looking forward to sharing projects with you as we get going with them in the spring.
I like the L2501. It's a well made tractor. Unfortunately, I think it's way overpriced and under equipped compared to the competition. Personally, I would go with the Kioti if you are limited to those two dealers. I own a Mahindra 1626 and I would definitely recommend it. It's made in Japan and it's a proven platform. I figured maybe you didn't have a Mahindra dealer since you didn't mention them.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #6  

azbinder

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Hi everyone,

I know with Kubota, if you get their backhoe, you don't need any remote hydraulics as the bh is direct plumbed with a pair of quick couplers. When the bh is removed, the tractor side hoses are coupled back together. But, you can still add remotes. Most remotes are spring return to center and they do have detent valve available. I'd go ahead and get a mechanical thumb. And you can build your own canopy. Just make sure that you CLAMP it to the ROPS.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options
OP
S

stumpmj

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 TLB
Great input so far!

On tractor options here’s how I arrived at the Ck2610 and L2501

5.5 acres about half wooded. I have a zero turn for mowing so that’s covered. I have a lawn tractor with a cab and a blower for mowing so snow is covered. I figure a small property means I don’t need a ton of power so small engine plus lots of weight should let it work.
There’s a Kioti dealer about 20 minutes. The next closest is the Kubota dealer that’s 1.5 hours away. There is a mahindra dealer just past the Kubota dealer but it’s a side business for a Harley dealership and I didn’t get good vibes on the level of support I’d get. Otherwise a Max 26 would be in the running. Both the Kubota and Kioti dealers seem to have good reputations. There is a Deere dealer but they have an extremely poor reputation so I scratched them off the list. So that leaves Kubota and Kioti.

As mentioned I’m after relatively simple with good weight. That seems to point to the L2501 and the CK2610. The Kubota definitely doesn’t seem to have the same specs as the Kioti but there’s the brand reputation and resale if I did make a purchasing mistake. The Kioti seems like an absolute beast of a little tractor.

On the PHD, if I use the backhoe to dig post holes, is it as simple as a few scoops down and then ramp into place? I’ve only ever built fences with post hole diggers.

Sea2summit pretty sure if it’s complicated and expensive, the hydraulic thumb is out of budget. I was thinking the mechanical thumb would be good for lifting rocks for landscaping and trees for bucking for firewood. What made it useless in your case?

Ericm979 for the hydraulic top link is that actuated by a spring return valve? It seems like a useful add on for sure.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #8  

MtnViewRanch

Elite Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,
Kioti doe's not have a 3rd rear remote available for the CK tractors, that I am aware of, so going OEM for a 3rd rear remote on the Kioti is out of the question. 3rd party options are available though if you actually need more that the 2 valves available from Kioti. a Kubota rear remotes are a know issue for excessive internal leakage, just something to keep in mind.

I highly recommend a top & tilt set for your 3pt. It will make any grading that you do much easier-faster-better because it's easier and faster to make any implement adjustments. Like seconds instead of minutes and stopping and getting on-off the tractor continually does not even exist when you have top & tilt. Another plus for the tilt cylinder with a PHD is that you can plumb the auger up if you are on hilly ground.

Regarding a PHD, I can't even imagine digging a 3' or 4' deep hole with a backhoe and putting a 4x4 or 6x6 or any post for that matter and then having to back fill all that material moved just to get that deep. I sure would not want to do that more than once, and once would be more than enough for me to figure out a different way.

Doing your research before you make a decision is a good idea. I see many many people just get something without thinking it through and then getting something different in a year or so after they realize that what they have purchased is wrong for their needs.

Good luck. :)

Attachments

• CK10 series.JPG
    CK10 series.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 70
  • STD L series.JPG
    STD L series.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 71
   / Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #9  

Cahaba Valley Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
What I’m unsure of is what other options I should be considering. Here’s the current list I’d love everyone’s input on:

Poster, I'm gonna tell you right now that it makes no difference if you purchase it now or later. You will not get any discount from the dealers for purchasing it when you buy the tractor. The only difference is you can roll it into your financing but you don't save any money.
That's something you will have to decide. Time and research will answer that question for you.
There's a ton of companies that make these aftermarket and you can get better quality ones aftermarket. Save your money and go aftermarket.
Again, that is something you will have to figure out. It takes a lot longer then most people think to make a tractor purchase. There is a lot to consider but it sounds like you are on the right track.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #10  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Why not consider the Kubota B26? It is the lastest example of a model specifically designed for exactly the work you want to do. It is commercial-duty tough, and stronger in every way than any tractor with add-on attachments could ever be.

The B26 can be ordered with most of what you want already installed. As a bonus it has a double thick standard canopy that is much nicer than anything aftermarket.

We've got it's big brother - the M59 - but could probably do everything I need with the B26.
My wife thinks it's the best tool we ever bought. Getting on 20 years now without any repairs - well, one hose, one cable, and one battery. The hose was my fault.

rScotty

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 5.53.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 5.53.06 PM.png
    562.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited: