Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #51  

ruko

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking for a while and I’m finally getting close to pulling the trigger on a small tractor; either a Kioti CK2610 or a Kubota L2501 (going round with quotes and trying to make a final decision). The planned usage is 350’ long gravel driveway maintenance (box blade or land plane), putting in a large garden (tiller), fence building (3 point PHD), planting trees (PHD and backhoe), adding some small drainage ditches (backhoe) to reduce standing water around the property, and general household tractoring stuff.

What I’m unsure of right now is what options to get. So far, I’m planning on a loader with a QC bucket and a backhoe. What I’m unsure of is what other options I should be considering. Here’s the current list I’d love everyone’s input on:

Remotes: I know I need to two rear remotes for the backhoe; a spring return and a detent. Given my planned usage, is there any reason to get a third?

Loader third function: no plans for anything like a grapple right now as we don’t really have much brush to move. If I change my mind later, is it terribly difficult to it later? I’m mechanically inclined (I can rebuild an engine as an example) but haven’t had a tractor before. I’d much rather hold off on ordering for now unless there’s a compelling reason to order from the factory.

Backhoe thumb: leaning towards a mechanical thumb because I can see where one would be super handy but I’m trying to compromise on cost vs a hydraulic thumb. Good/bad plan?

Canopy: I’m getting one but I’m unsure if I’m better off ordering from the factory or aftermarket

Is there anything else I should be ordering?

Thank for your input! I’m looking forward to sharing projects with you as we get going with them in the spring.
Hydraulics front and rear. Mid or front PTO. Cab with air and heat is so great!! In other words it's only money. Get everything. You won't be sorry. I wish I had done that.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #52  

finn1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010 hst, Cab, Deere 26G excavator, K1500 w/ Boss 7’6” plow, F450 dump W/ Boss 10’ straight blade Super Duty plow, F250 reg cab, F350 cc drw, Case TR310 CTL
Agreed. Price is abusive. But I live up in Houghton, MI. The closest dealer is 1.5 hours away. The next is 3 I think. Just not a lot choice. I think of it as Alaska light.

On the LS tractor I think the nearest dealer is 3.5-4 hours. Too far. Same with TYM, Massey, etc.

Given the current availability issues and the lack of options I’m guessing I’ll end up at near MSRP but I’m certainly not paying $5k above that.

Talking with the sales guy on the Kioti tomorrow. We’ll see if we can come to an agreement.
I live about ten minutes from Ward’s.. Got a great deal when I bought my Ck4010, much better than the local Deere dealer or the Marquette Kubota dealer. Mahindra didn’t have a Marquette dealer yet when I bought.

Warranty service was great when I had a coolant leak at ten below shortly after purchase. (Ended up being a loose clamp from the factory), They followed me back to the house to diagnose and fix the issue when I stopped by the dealership to discuss a course of action…

It’s not a huge dealership, but they move a lot of tractors considering the population.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options
OP
S

stumpmj

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 TLB
Well I went down and got everything officially ordered today. Ended up with CK2610; loader with 66” QA bucket, rear remotes (one spring and one detent), backhoe, canopy (factory one was cheaper than aftermarket options), and R14 tires loaded. It was $5000 less than the Kubota L2502 and the dealer is about 1.5 hours closer plus I got them to throw in a set of HD pallet forks. Lots of good vibes from the dealer. Should be here in a month or so.

We have a few projects to take care of over winter but the real work will start this spring. I’ll post threads on those projects as they happen. Thanks to everyone for input!

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #54  

Carl_NH

Elite Member
Tractor
01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8
Good deal - congrats on your new machine! Did you get the third function on the loader for a grapple and a Mech thumb on the BH too?

OP
S

stumpmj

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 TLB
Good deal - congrats on your new machine! Did you get the third function on the loader for a grapple and a Mech thumb on the BH too?
Decided to skip the third function as I can’t see a use for a grapple on my property. It was clear it by the original builder of the house so there’s nothing in the way of branches or debris that needs cleanup.

It looks like the thumb is a simple bolt on so I’ll add that in the summer or next year when we start moving landscaping material if it seems like there’s a need. The comments by most people saying they didn’t see a thumb as useful convinced me to skip it for now. If it wasn’t an easy add on I’d probably have gotten it anyway.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #56  

RVAWeekendWarrior

Tractor
Bobcat ct2025
Decided to skip the third function as I can’t see a use for a grapple on my property. It was clear it by the original builder of the house so there’s nothing in the way of branches or debris that needs cleanup.

It looks like the thumb is a simple bolt on so I’ll add that in the summer or next year when we start moving landscaping material if it seems like there’s a need. The comments by most people saying they didn’t see a thumb as useful convinced me to skip it for now. If it wasn’t an easy add on I’d probably have gotten it anyway.
I got a bobcat ct2025 a year ago (same tractor as yours painted white) and bought ALL the options except cruise control. The dealer is terrible though and still hasn't gotten the linked pedal kit to work. That was only 200$ so I went for it. You will definitely want some quick attach lower links, I got factory, they extend out 4" or so to make hooking up a lot easier. They were expensive but very sturdy. The pats advertised here might be better as you can hook up without getting off and a lot cheaper. You will absolutely want a Top and Tilt kit. It's amazing what you can do with that and a rake/box blade. Also makes hooking up easier. I got mine from Michigan iron and equipment. I got the third function could use a grapple but it took the dealer so long to install it that I got pretty good with the forks, so I'm holding off, smash they went up in price alot in the last year. I also ordered factory filters and oil/hydro for the first change so I'd have it when I needed it. It's been a great machine. Add a weekend warrior I'm only at 90 hours or so. Clearing lands with it so its been relatively rough hours. I also got a guard insert to protect the grill from brush picked up with the forks from eBay. You'll want some extra hydro fluid, taking the backhoe off can be messy sometimes.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #57  

ning

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
You'll want some extra hydro fluid, taking the backhoe off can be messy sometimes.
I'm curious what the backhoe connection is like that you get enough of a mess to warrant topping off hydro? On my (totally different tractor) 'hoe there's max a couple drops... or... are you not turning off the tractor when making those connections?

OP
S

stumpmj

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 TLB
I was thinking a hydraulic top link would be great but I wasn’t planning on the tilt. How often are you using it and under what circumstances?

I’ve thinking a box blade would be a must have (I need to regrade a chunk of my property) but I can’t quite figure out what the landscape rake would be useful for. How are you using one?

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #59  

Jaygyver

Tractor
'97 JD-770 and '21 LS MT235HE

Depends on what people think is useful to them, but really you have to figure out what you’re gonna do. Think out side the box. ME, I found my BH and thumb extremely useful, I couldn’t have done half the things with my BH if I didn’t have the thumb. I few years ago I ended up getting a 3pt BH with the hyd thumb for my JD770 that I bought a few years after I built my house many moons ago.
The backhoe can do more than dig holes.
I had dropped at least two dozen tree’s around the house and property over a couple of years and had to clean them up this year for sure. With the thumb I picked up the logs, rounds, stumps and larger branches and put them on my trailers so I didn’t have to make so many trips to the burn pile. Couldn’t have done it without the thumb. But,,,,,, you can’t lift what you can’t grab, couldn’t lift the wider rounds or logs. Most of the trees were around 4’ at the base.
That’s where the pallet forks came in. Worked fantastic for the logs, stumps, etc, that the BH couldn’t grab. I also have pallets under most of my implements. Makes digging thru them so much easier.
A grapple would have been awesome but after this battle I would have no use for it. I did end up getting a Hyd 4-1 Bucket so at least I can do the smaller projects. Works great for the few black berry jungles I have to keep up on. And again it’s a compromise from the grapple in as “you can’t lift what you can’t grab”. Jaws only open so far. But I can still use it year round. Also got a small Harrow Rake to go thru the woods every other year to pile up all the branch’s and stuff that I can then grab with the 4-1 bucket.
I picked up a new “21 LS MT235HE this late winter as a retirement present (yes, it’s overkill) and I ordered a set of rear remotes at the same time that are still on backorder. (Getting the top and tilt hyd) Finally ended up getting an aftermarket 3rd function kit for it when I bought the hyd bucket. Easy to install, most of the companies have full kits for most of the popular brands, I had to buy the hose’s for it separate. Also moved the BH over to it too as I felt the 3pt on the LS could handle it better. It averages about 20+ min to attach the backhoe so you are soo lucky to have a frame setup.

/ Ordering Compact Tractor; What Options #60  

Jaygyver

Tractor
'97 JD-770 and '21 LS MT235HE
The landscape rake can be used to level your driveway, picking up larger branch's on a trail or screed rocks in dirt, usually has to be dry for it to work better.
I ended up getting a smaller Harrow rake, like a lawn thatcher only on steroids. Has a little bit stronger tines. I use it to pick up smaller twigs and branch's.

You can use the "Tilt" if you want to keep the grade of the ditch, road or ground the same or change it. You can change the degree's on the fly from your seat instead of having to get out and adjust it by hand every time it changes or your not happy with it. Similar to a hyd top link, soo much easier then getting on and off all the time. The cylinders aren't really all that expensive to plumb. Still waiting on my back ordered rear remotes to get here before I order the cylinders.