Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #21  
No reason you can't do both (I would). I like to see the sheathing cross over as many different sections as possible. None of this is required by code, mind you, but I think it makes a lot of sense to tie things together.

I agree. On my house, and houses that I work on for clients, I go both ways depending on how I can get the most strength. I also like ZIP System so I can use longer sheets. Those 9 ft long ones have really come in handy!!!!

Same thing with sheetrock, but I try a lot harder to install it horizontally across as many studs as I can unless I can eliminate a joint by going horizontal in certain places.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build
I'd be concerned about cutting trusses to install the dormers.

It was scary. The roof was tight. All trusses straight and true. We could call it done! Nope. We wanted the dormers. Read the plans again. Mark for the cuts. Read the plans again. Check the marks. Fix them. Read the plans again. Make sure we understand the headers. Read the plans again. Check the marks. GOOD! Cut the osb. Read the plans again. Cut the trusses. Take in the view. Pat self on back.

The trusses and the dormers, including cutting of the trusses, are done according to the engineered plans from barnplans.com. Truss stumps have headers, adjacent trusses are reinforced. Whew.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #23  
It was scary. The roof was tight. All trusses straight and true. We could call it done! Nope. We wanted the dormers. Read the plans again. Mark for the cuts. Read the plans again. Check the marks. Fix them. Read the plans again. Make sure we understand the headers. Read the plans again. Check the marks. GOOD! Cut the osb. Read the plans again. Cut the trusses. Take in the view. Pat self on back.

The trusses and the dormers, including cutting of the trusses, are done according to the engineered plans from barnplans.com. Truss stumps have headers, adjacent trusses are reinforced. Whew.
Cool, glad it was in the plans. They do look good.

I am right now in the McDonalds in Middlesboro, KY. Closest (90 minute round trip) wi-fi to the build site. Needed wi-fi to beg boss for a few days off after New Years, as metal guys have not shown up kick off the roof. Cold (for here). got down to 8F Tuesday night. Brrr. Progressing slowly in roof prep.

Will post pics when I get back.

Have a safe and happy New Years.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #25  
Looking great! You are in a beautiful area and great location on the lake. We visit this nearby area numerous times a year to ride our UTVs at Royal Blue and Tackett Creek WMAs and have been looking to buy a place much like you have and do likewise.

We left for home in January a little disappointed that the cold had limited our progress on that trip. The metal guys had just started on the metal when we headed north.

The entry porch roof was finished in February by my neighbor, including pouring the concrete in the now-thawed holes around the posts. We had some roof water problems in the next few weeks. It was finally determined that water was hitting the vertical osb on the front of the dormers, then running down and getting in. The roofer put some ice & water shield on the front of the dormers and stopped the intrusion.

We got to spend another week there in early April. Our first job on arrival was cleaning up the chairs and construction debris that had been scattered by the wind. We then cleaned up the inside for company and got the trailer ready for the week. We had a bunch of family fun during the week, and also completed a few barn projects:
We added 2 more lvls to stiffen the 2nd floor joists next to the loft opening.
We installed windows in two of the four dormers.
We rebuilt the front entry porch around the new entry roof posts.
We purchased barn door hardware, framed the opening, and modified hardware to fit.
We completely sheathed the west gable end wall, and mostly sheathed the east gable end wall.
We sheathed over all door openings.

Resized_20180331_161403_4792.jpegResized_20180404_162535_4305.jpegResized_20180408_070738_6572.jpeg
The roofer came out, and we discussed the plan to get the metal done.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #27  
Very nice & welcome to the neighborhood! Norris is probably the nicest lake around here.

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #28  
Only question...how could you leave God’s Country in Michigan? Love the thread. Nice!

/ Our Tennessee Barn (now house) Build #29  
That must be so difficult to have to leave there when it's not sealed in and know that there will be all kinds of weather happening while you are not there to do anything.

Yes, Eddie. Tough to leave when things are exposed to the weather. The roof is weathertight, even without the metal being done, so that helps. The sheathing on the gable ends is finally stopping the rain from sitting on the subfloor. We will decide at siding time if any of the sheathing in the splash zone will need replacing. When we started construction I expected to be retired and living there by now. Life happens, and we are doing what we can to get it weathertight ASAP.

Grouse09 - we love Michigan (I grew up in Muskegon) but have gotten tired of the winters.

Richard - Thanks for the welcome. We have had the property forever, and have finally gotten off out butts to make this happen. I am very excited about this project and the move to Tennessee.