Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #1  

Fine409

Tractor
RK37 Hydro Cab
I live in southern Ohio and have about 40 acres. Back in the 70痴, 80,s and part of the 90痴 my dad had it all fenced in barbed wire and had cattle in it. It was clear. Sadly, he passed away and my mom had it timbered in about 2006. She passed away in 2015 and I got the land. I致e tried to walk it but I don稚 even know how the deer makes it through. It痴 overgrown with saplings and multi floral rose bushes. It has steep hills with some flats down in the hollow. I have a RC37 with bucket, backhoe, and rear blade. I just got it this week. How do I start making trails through this thick stuff on hills? I also have about 13 acres that I mow that used to be hayfields. I知 sure this is not a new problem. I bought a 72 rear mower for the fields and have a brush hog. Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #2  
Have you considered getting a grapple? I’d probably hit the big stuff with a chainsaw first, then clear the material out with a grapple to a burn pile. Then I’d hit the small stuff with the bush hog.

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #3  
Have you considered getting a grapple? I’d probably hit the big stuff with a chainsaw first, then clear the material out with a grapple to a burn pile. Then I’d hit the small stuff with the bush hog.

My thoughts exactly on the grapple. Big stuff first, little stuff after. I would've killed to have a tractor with grapple to clear our 8 acres of pines that a fire swept through and left at least a hundred dead trees standing and plenty on the ground. Took me about a year to get everything cut up and burned by hand on the weekends. Great exercise though! I think I went through about 15 chain saw blades in the process. The end result makes it all worth it though.

IMG_0520.jpg

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #4  
We've got very similar property in Southern Ohio as well. Also looking to clear underbrush and such. Our property was cut about 25 years ago and you can (barely) still see where old logging trails were. That's where we plan to start. Clearing out some of the easier areas like that will make it possible to get to the more difficult ones. That's the plan anyway. Just remember, there's only one way to eat an elephant...

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #6  
Cut the fast growing junk first. Get it now so it's easy to take care of in spring when it wants to take over. If all you want are trails on steep hills, get a 2 wheeled tractor (BCS or Grillo) with a bush mower.

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #7  
What I would do is rent a small dozer for a day or two to do all the hard work. (trees,stumps,roots,boulders,etc)

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #8  
We've got very similar property in Southern Ohio as well. Also looking to clear underbrush and such. Our property was cut about 25 years ago and you can (barely) still see where old logging trails were. That's where we plan to start. Clearing out some of the easier areas like that will make it possible to get to the more difficult ones. That's the plan anyway. Just remember, there's only one way to eat an elephant...

Good advice. I'm in the process of doing the same with some of my place. Cut the easy parts and then begin to nibble away at the rest. As you start cutting it back you will figure out which direction you can go.

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #9  
I live in southern Ohio and have about 40 acres. Back in the 70痴, 80,s and part of the 90痴 my dad had it all fenced in barbed wire and had cattle in it. It was clear. Sadly, he passed away and my mom had it timbered in about 2006. She passed away in 2015 and I got the land. I致e tried to walk it but I don稚 even know how the deer makes it through. It痴 overgrown with saplings and multi floral rose bushes. It has steep hills with some flats down in the hollow. I have a RC37 with bucket, backhoe, and rear blade. I just got it this week. How do I start making trails through this thick stuff on hills? I also have about 13 acres that I mow that used to be hayfields. I知 sure this is not a new problem. I bought a 72 rear mower for the fields and have a brush hog. Thanks in advance for any help.
Look at getting spreaders for your tractor if you have hills. They make them up to 6 inches. But plan to drive up and down, not sideways if steep. For trails, consider a boom mower if you have $$. They also make a tree cutter - basically a powerful scissor to replace the bucket on the front. I don't plan to buy either but they are available.

I have an RK37HC on order. The plan is to use the bush hog to clear out small stuff between trees (7.46 acres, about 2 in trees.) Basically mine is going to be hydrostatic so go backwards really slow with the bush hog raised and then lower it on tall brush. Should also work for saplings up to 1-2 inches, maybe bigger if I go slow.

I plan to push some smaller trees over with the bucket. For bigger trees, chainsaw low to the ground so you can drive over the roots and don't have to pull the roots - but I plan to leave most of my large trees. For branches poking over possible trails below 100 inches, I plan to use a pole saw. I might install a 1000 watt converter and use an electric pole saw or get a 40 volt battery powered one. At least that is my plan. All I want is nice trails for the pickup to pass and access to my stream.

/ Overgrown Hilly clearing with RK37 Hydro Cab #10  
Consider hiring a forestry mulcher for a day or two. Watch a few vids on their capabilities and see if they match your need. They can open things up and let you focus your equipment on its best uses.