Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience #1  

azizfargo

Tractor
PT-425
Thinking about PT425. I read on this forum that PT owners service the machines themselves. Is it realistic to have mechanical shop that fixes snowblowers/tractors service the machine? I understand the cheapest would be learning how to fix it myself, but I would rather pay someone to fix it, just like my vehicles.

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience #2  
Welcome to TBN! :thumbsup:

I think it depends on how much you trust your local repair shop that services small engines. If you can find a trusted, reliable, repair shop that does things in a timely and professional manner, then yes, they could do any engine work that is required. Hydraulics are a different animal.

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience
Hello MossRoad. Thank you. Your guidance on PT tractors is very helpful on this forum.

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience #4  
Hello MossRoad. Thank you. Your guidance on PT tractors is very helpful on this forum.

True words!

There are a lot of logging around here and the means a lot of hydraulic, so finding someone to do the hydraulic work would be easy and as Moss says, you have a good small engine shop, they won't have any problem working on the engine.

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience #5  

I've stolen all my knowledge from everyone else and regurgitate it back whenever possible. :laughing:

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience #6  
Thinking about PT425. I read on this forum that PT owners service the machines themselves. Is it realistic to have mechanical shop that fixes snowblowers/tractors service the machine? I understand the cheapest would be learning how to fix it myself, but I would rather pay someone to fix it, just like my vehicles.

Welcome to TBN!

Sounds like we are very much alike. I prefer to pay someone else for anything beyond basic servicing of my PT425. For hydraulic issues, I plan to use a local hydraulic shop that works on all kinds of hydraulic machinery. I used them to replace the hyd motor on the used brush cutter I bought.

Unfortunately I had to have some engine work done to my Robin under warranty at a different shop, but it allowed me to evaluate them for use in the future. They happen to be the local JCB dealer and have all kinds of heavy equipment on their lot. I assumed that meant my little PT425 would be very low priority, but they were very responsive, friendly and got it back running in no time! So I think I will try them again if needed. So dont assume you have to stick with a lawnmower shop for engine work. Around here it seems like the lawnmower places are the worst in terms of repair times and customer service.

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience
Welcome to TBN!

Sounds like we are very much alike. I prefer to pay someone else for anything beyond basic servicing of my PT425. For hydraulic issues, I plan to use a local hydraulic shop that works on all kinds of hydraulic machinery. I used them to replace the hyd motor on the used brush cutter I bought.

Unfortunately I had to have some engine work done to my Robin under warranty at a different shop, but it allowed me to evaluate them for use in the future. They happen to be the local JCB dealer and have all kinds of heavy equipment on their lot. I assumed that meant my little PT425 would be very low priority, but they were very responsive, friendly and got it back running in no time! So I think I will try them again if needed. So dont assume you have to stick with a lawnmower shop for engine work. Around here it seems like the lawnmower places are the worst in terms of repair times and customer service.

Thank you for warm welcome. What do they charge hourly for working on your PT? Would be a good reference point when calling around local shops.

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience #8  
Thank you for warm welcome. What do they charge hourly for working on your PT? Would be a good reference point when calling around local shops.

Sorry I dont recall the hourly rate at either shop, but I dont remember it being too outrageous.

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience #9  
I just got a PT1460 and my plan is to learn how to work on the machine as a hobby. Big things like the hydraulic hoses/engine/pump work I plan on getting get a shop or power trac to do. Smaller things like learning the wiring and maintenance and cylindar rebuilds I plan on doing myself. I always wanted to learn more about machinery so for me it is going to be part of the experience. I plan on having fun with it as I am not operating a commercial operation with it at this time.

/ Owning PT with no mechanical servicing experience #10  
Congrats on the PT1460!!! It has always been on my wish list.