Oxy regulator repair

/ Oxy regulator repair #1  

Captain Dirty

Platinum Member
Tractor
Goldoni 600, Kubota L45
When I opened the tank valve on my oxygen tank yesterday the HP gauge went to 2000psi, the delivery gauge pegged at 100psi followed by a pop and hiss as if the relief valve dumped. I removed the regulator adjusting screw, opened the torch oxy valve, cracked the tank valve, and got a high reading on the delivery gauge. Something obviously amiss. After watching a few YT repair videos and opening up my regulator, I think the failure is of the poppet valve between the high and low pressure chambers.

One of the YT videos opened with a disclaimer that it was not instructional, merely entertainment. All warned about avoiding oil to include possible oil or grease on the wrenches used, not to use flammable solvents like carb cleaner. One presenter used gloves; the others worked bare-handed. One made the repair on the shop floor with the regulator still attached to the tank; the others worked on a bench.

The local AirGas does not sell repair kits but sends the regulators out for repair. The counterman said the cost is typically between $60 and $110 and turn-around time is greater than 4 weeks. Amazon shows a repair kit (Victor 0790-0048, the appropriate kit for my Victor SR250C) for around $25 to be delivered in 2 days (Prime).

I intend to order the repair kit. The repair looks straightforward; I found it easy to re-assemble my regulator after disassembling it. I intend to blow out the cobwebs (and any particulate matter) using compressed air. I am given to understand my small, portable compressor has sealed bearings and note that when I blow compressed air on a pane of glass there is no oily film. I will work on a bench and use the multiple 5-minute leak test. Am I being conscientious enough or are there things I have overlooked? TIA

/ Oxy regulator repair #2  
I rebuilt my regulators using kits from place below.... Kit price for you SR250 is $17.95

Yes you need to be meticulous about clean, and there is a OXYGEN SAFE grease to lube end of adjusting handle....

If you are spooked by doing it yourself by all means sent them to be repaired...

Last edited:
   / Oxy regulator repair #3  
Often times when you leave your adjustment screw turned in for long periods of time the needle will stick open. Then when you crank open the gas it blows the diaphragm and all the gas goes out the safety. There is very little in the regulator so it's an easy repair if you can get the kit. If you can't find oxygen safe grease you can also ask your distributor for a little tub of plasma o-ring grease. It's oxy-safe too ad available by the dab in a little tub. If your distributor can't help you just call American Torch Tip in Florida. They have the little tubs. Good Luck.

/ Oxy regulator repair #4  
I had one do the exact same thing recently but I caught it before it went to relief. It was a little nylon washer that had split.

/ Oxy regulator repair #5  
My old neighbor used to rebuild them for a major welding supply chain. When they quit rebuilding them, I got a bunch of medical and commercial regulators before they hit the dumpster. Unfortunately I moved, then he moved and we lost track of each other. That is rapidly becoming another item that is thrown away and replaced rather than repaired.
David from jax

/ Oxy regulator repair #6  
Finding parts for the more common ones isnt much of a problem but some of the spec built models it is and they are hard to identify. Some of the 2 stage are worth fixing but replacement has got much cheaper and a guy doesnt have to fuss with finding little parts.

/ Oxy regulator repair
U P D A T E

The kit arrived yesterday, I installed it today. Regulator behaved normally, held 10 and then 20 psi for 5 minutes each. Lit torch, all appears fine.
The sealing material on the old poppet valve appeared granular compared to that on the new valve. I think it was most likely age.

/ Oxy regulator repair #8  
There's a lot of regulators being misrepersented through deceptive wording in discription. It easy to believe you are buying Victor or regulators and handles which Victor parts fit. The ONLY thing they have in common is that Victor tips fit the the handle. The people that sell them don't know were to buy parts. There are lesser known brands that are just as good but none sell much cheaper or have better parts availability. Many old timers are using Purox torches they bought years ago.
Don't throw anything away based on what Airgas tell's you,they don't want homeowners or hobbiests business and go out of the way to run them off.

/ Oxy regulator repair #9  
Don't throw anything away based on what Airgas tell's you,they don't want homeowners or hobbiests business and go out of the way to run them off.

I am very glad that is not at all the case at my local AirGas welding supply store in St Johnsbury, VT. Just the opposite in fact.

gg