Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #362  
Interesting. That's where my first North American ancestor settled in 1746 - Samual Caldwell. Most of his grandkids relocated to Clearfield County, where my grandfather was born I still have distant cousins there, maybe in Lancaster County too. That's Amish country now, isn't it?
It can be 100% Amish country and there are parts where there’s few Amish.
Maybe you can get fitted for a pair of broadfalls, but ya gotta give up all your electric gizmos if you want to join the church! lol

On edit: Lots of Italians in Lancaster county, too Lar :) (y)

Last edited:
   / Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #363  
Curious…how many forest fires would you guess are set by arsonists?
According to a 2017 PNAS paper, arson is thought to be responsible for 29%, but humans are thought to start 88% of wild land fires, so that may be an undercount.

Having watched arson investigators at work, and I think they are very talented, but the trouble with fire is that at a certain point the evidence gets consumed: there is not a latent print, no DNA, no lock of hair. Not always, but sometimes... is a string of fires consistent with a ...? Lots of things cause fires. Sometimes accidentally, sometimes not. Even when you know the cause, and who did it, it isn't necessarily clear cut. My neighbor got security video of some yahoos setting off a Roman candle horizontally into the grass from his front camera. Accident? Arson? Too much beer to tell the difference? Either way it was a brush fire that got all of our attention.

What about the gender reveal explosion that started a fire that killed a very experienced lead fire fighter? Arson? The current charge is involuntary manslaughter, but that could change.

All the best,

Peter

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued
Mornings continue to be nice. Clear skies, cool temps & no smoke. Afternoons - a walk thru Hell. Yesterday at 5pm - 96F. 35 degrees hotter than right now.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #366  
Good. Too bad the same fine is not applicable to those burning downtown Portland.
Wow, lots to contemplate there goeduck…..

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #367  
Mornings continue to be nice. Clear skies, cool temps & no smoke. Afternoons - a walk thru Hell. Yesterday at 5pm - 96F. 35 degrees hotter than right now.
Predicted 99 here Thursday and Friday. Wouldn't it be great to bottle some of that heat for winter? I guess that's what geothermal heat pumps do.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #368  
was nearly 90 by 9am here today. sucks. im so thankful for my AC.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued
I'm kinda skating here w/o AC. As long as the nights remain cool - I can cool off the house. If the nights get hot - Brownie & I are in the basement.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #370  
the basement should remain cool though. our basement was our saving grace last year when my ac coil set broke.