Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I live in NE WA state, about 25 miles SW of Spokane, WA. How many others are experiencing this constant pall of smoke, ash & corruption.

Its to the point, here where I live, that being outside isn't all that pleasant.

Last time I checked there were 80+ forrest fires up in this neck of the woods.

Yesterday it cleared somewhat in the morning so I rode my motorcycle down south. Got about thirty miles south and smoke was so thick you could see vehicles on the road making a "slice mark" as they drove thru the smoke.

Got to admit - probably the most unpleasant m/c ride I've ever been on. Turned around and beat it home.

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
Those and the fires up in B.C. The only positive i can come up with on the smoke, is that the sun isn't as intense, and im really stretching for a positive.

I should note, that the smoke here, where i live, is nowhere as bad as it is near those fires.:(

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
It's terrible in the willamette valley.. ..hardly can be outside.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
cqaigy2 You are right - the sun is a fluorescent orange or tangerine up there and the temps were only 60F when I was outside, briefly, at 8:20 am. Looking for a positive - we sure will be happy when all this smoke & corruption is gone.

I take the dog outside every evening just before we hit the sack. Shine my flashlight up into the sky - looks like its snowing. An awful lot of ash coming down.

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
In the interior of BC there have been around 1,140,000 hectares or 2,800,000 acers burnt this year. Here on Vancouver Island it is smoky from the outflow winds bring us the smoke from the interior of BC 400-500 miles away. Sun is an orange glow in the sky. There have been upwards of 40,000 people evacuated at different times.

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
This smoke has affected our skies in Kansas if you can believe that. Must be a **** of a fire.

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
I live between Molalla and Colten, Oregon. It is to the point that it is foggy like outside, and it is drier than a popcorn fart.:(

sd455dan

Elite Member
Tractor
Rhino 554, JD550G dozer Gilson MTD riding mowers Ford 3000-Sold
I live in NE WA state, about 25 miles SW of Spokane, WA. How many others are experiencing this constant pall of smoke, ash & corruption.

Its to the point, here where I live, that being outside isn't all that pleasant.

Last time I checked there were 80+ forrest fires up in this neck of the woods.

Yesterday it cleared somewhat in the morning so I rode my motorcycle down south. Got about thirty miles south and smoke was so thick you could see vehicles on the road making a "slice mark" as they drove thru the smoke.

Got to admit - probably the most unpleasant m/c ride I've ever been on. Turned around and beat it home.

Bad here in North Idaho, air index was as high as 390 and hazardous.

almost closed schools today.

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720
Iowa was getting the smoke too. This weekend we had a slow NW breeze that brought in all the smoke. Everything had a weird yellow hue to it. It was about the same color as my previously nicotine stained fingers.

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
I'm east of you in ID. Can't see the lake and the sun is orange. Not so good.......but Wednesday 9/6/2017 they say the wind will shift and air quality will improve. Let's hope

turnkey4099

Elite Member
Those and the fires up in B.C. The only positive i can come up with on the smoke, is that the sun isn't as intense, and im really stretching for a positive.

I should note, that the smoke here, where i live, is nowhere as bad as it is near those fires.:(

The wind isn't any help here in SE Wa. First it blows smoke from mid WA and BC over me into montana and then switches 90 degrees, picks up the MT smoke and blows it all back over me. Run with headlights on. So thick today that at times the sun didn't even show through the haze, eyes burning, nose plugged up, coughing. I stopped at the hardware store for a dust mask. No good, they recommend a N95 rating. Tried it. One has to work to breath through that, takes some effort to draw the air through such fine filter.

Billrog

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2610, 580 SuperM Case Backhoe
It's been very smokey here for some time now.
2017 sky 012.jpg
This is one of the better days often haven't been able to see the bottom of the valley.
seene 002.jpg
Not to bad today about the same as the pic.

Ortimber

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere
I'm in southern Oregon and we have fires burning all around us. As others have stated, the air quality is terrible. Looking directly at the sun is possible since it's a dim dark orange all day. In the next few days we are expecting lightning and that has all of us on edge. The last part of the summer has been remarkable due to record heat, eclipse, more heat, and now numerous fires.

vvanders

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4760
Yup, drove from Seattle to Portland today and had falling Ash pretty much the whole way. Nasty conditions much closer to south CA than WA this time of year.

Last edited:

War Eagle 2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDC, Allis Chalmers 5020
Left Portland Monday (9/4/17) shortly after 8 am heading back home to Idaho. Lots of smoke and some ash on the freeway. Shortly after I was on the road for about 1 hour I heard the news say that I84 was closed from Troutdale to the Dalles (about 100 miles). I was really lucky to get out of town when I did.

I 84 remained closed all thru the night and reopened some time on Tuesday morning.

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
If you add Oregon and Montana together, fires have burned the area of Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey. I finally saw a mention of it on the national news last night.

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
I'm in southern Oregon and we have fires burning all around us. As others have stated, the air quality is terrible. Looking directly at the sun is possible since it's a dim dark orange all day. In the next few days we are expecting lightning and that has all of us on edge. The last part of the summer has been remarkable due to record heat, eclipse, more heat, and now numerous fires.

Hey, they predicted 100 degrees and it only got to 89 because of the smoke cover. For part of the day you couldn't even see the sun.

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
I'm in central NM and have the haze and smoke from the fires in the NW. Here's a pic of the sunset through the smokey haze.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    773.9 KB · Views: 54

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Rain here
We might get an inch and a half tomorrow. I don't think you could get a fire to start in the forest around here for love nor money.

You have my condolences on the situation....

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
Too had Harvey didn't send some rain your way.

vvanders

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4760
Rain here
We might get an inch and a half tomorrow. I don't think you could get a fire to start in the forest around here for love nor money.

You have my condolences on the situation....

Can we swap?

I can't believe how dry of a summer we've had. Normally our pasture has carried us through till fall but this year it's completely bare. Not looking forward to how it's going to be in winter.

Eagle Creek fire(east of Portland shutting down I-84 and threatening a ton of infrastructure) was apparently started by some idiot 15 year old kid playing with fireworks. Stupid.

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
34 miles of hose used on one fire.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5490/40119/

Bridge Crk Fire Update, September 5, 2017

Incident: Bridge Creek Fire Wildfire
Released: 9 hrs. ago

For Immediate Release

The Bridge Creek Fire is now 78 percent contained and burning within the containment lines. As we reach a higher containment percentage on the fire, resources will continue to be demobilized. Many of these resources have been assigned to other existing and new fires in the Northwest. Both Washington and Oregon have now declared a state of emergency due to the number of fires, lack of resources in the region, and the potential for future fires over the coming weeks.
...Fire crews have completed using the infrared camera looking for hot spots and now have begun pulling hose out of the area. Approximately 34 miles of hose has been used on the Bridge Creek Fire.

mapper

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1734E
Just heard today they are sending 200 soldiers from Joint Base Lewis Mchord down to the fires in the Umpqua National Forest in Oregon.
Sun was a dim orange ball today, temp maxed out at 97 degrees. Driest and hottest summer I can remember. We have had two days with rain since the beginning of June, only a few hundreds of an inch each time. Air quality here was better than Seattle and Portland, no ash falling on us. Been working the air conditioning overtime this summer, but with all the smoke the electronic air cleaner has been a blessing.

mapper

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1734E
34 miles of hose used on one fire.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5490/40119/

Bridge Crk Fire Update, September 5, 2017

Incident: Bridge Creek Fire Wildfire
Released: 9 hrs. ago

For Immediate Release

The Bridge Creek Fire is now 78 percent contained and burning within the containment lines. As we reach a higher containment percentage on the fire, resources will continue to be demobilized. Many of these resources have been assigned to other existing and new fires in the Northwest. Both Washington and Oregon have now declared a state of emergency due to the number of fires, lack of resources in the region, and the potential for future fires over the coming weeks.
...Fire crews have completed using the infrared camera looking for hot spots and now have begun pulling hose out of the area. Approximately 34 miles of hose has been used on the Bridge Creek Fire.

Twenty some years ago I was dispatched to a seventy thousand acre fire between Entiat and Leavenworth about this time of year, there were about 1700 firefighters on the lines. When they pulled the hose from that one I was put in charge of a youth crew rolling and sorting it, (federal, state, and private contractor/timber company). The hose, pumps and portatanks were being brought down to the fire camp by the ten yard dump truck loads. We had a gas powered hose roller that could do two lengths at a time, it took about three 16 hour days to sort and roll all of it. No idea how many miles it was. Did go through dozens of leather work gloves guiding the hose onto the roller.

Silvic

Gold Member
Tractor
Heavy ash fall last night and this morning. Washed it off with a pressure hose.
Just took the dogs out for their bedtime bathroom break and the ash has covered the cars and trucks again.
The full moon is just an orange glow through the smoke.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Went out at 3:30am and everything is grey. Hope it was just the weird moon but I think its probably ash. This is getting OLD.

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
I live 30 miles west of Salt Lake City. The air is so bad I put my Harley away for the time being. I've had Asthma all my life but I have never had as many problems as I have this summer. The mountains on either side of the valley are not visible. I think I'd take 10-20% of a hurricane to blow out and clean the air. :)

Winter and snow (and clean air) can not get here soon enough.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
AARRGGG - don't say that cat fever. My brand new 2017 BMW R1200GSA is out in its little shed, just waiting to be ridden - but not in this smoke, ash and corruption. For both of us - winter is about two months away. Nobody wants to wait that long.

All tolled this has been the weirdest year of the 35+ years I've been out here. It was, by a long ways, the wettest spring ever. Now we are experiencing the driest summer & fall on record. So this wet spring grew the field grass like never before and now we have the largest crop of "fuel" ever, out in the fields. It is definitely a formula for a major disaster.

Silvic

Gold Member
Tractor
oosik

I read your posts all the time but never noticed your footer before: "isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Wow if there was ever a more true and accurate statement. Never thought of it in those exact words but thank you for saying it so concisely.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Yes, you just have to watch that they don't get to you and grind you down(Silvic).

The good news - its a LITTLE less smoky this am(probably wind shift) and, so far, very little ash accumulation. However - the burning smell lingers on.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Good link there bcp. I see our states favorite place to burn is at it again - Okanogan/Wenatchee Nat Forrest. Even though its 1.5 million acres - one of these days it will all be black, at the rate its going. This Nat Forrest is very remote(borders British Colombia), extreme terrain & expensive to fight wildfires.

hslogger

Platinum Member
Tractor
currently l4400 stick
IMG_0514.jpgThe B.C. Fires have been affecting the Willamette Valley for weeks in small and large ways. The last ten days fires in Oregon have been breaking out here and there. The last week has been tragic and horrendous for those in the direct vicinity. For all others it has been air quality like Bejing. The last few days are terrible for breathing. Most farmers are curtailing any activity that is not in dirt. No mowing no flailing. Just tillage in dirt. The woods are closed down except for some spots on the coast.

It is the first time I have had ash on my rig since the Volcano blew.
All logging sides have tankers and fire rigs on site.
Farmers have big tanks on farm trucks and little tanks on pickups.

turnkey4099

Elite Member
Bit better today in Colfax. Still lots of smoke but less that yesterday. Fell a tree and brushed out about a third of it, quit at 10:30 due to too much coughing.

I think the count last night was 68 days with no measurable precip. All time record is 73. We have a good chance to break that one. There is just a remote chance of a bit of rain this weekend. Big front coming in, they expect that to clear out at least some of the smoke in this area.

We may break the record for the most days of 90 or above this year also.

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
We had a thunder shower move overhead tonight, not much lightning and about 2 hours of light rain, enough to change the color of the dirt.

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
It's raining now, drumming on the roof! I wish I could send you some. I worry about my daughter in MT.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I just went through that whole fire list. Utah only has 2 fires yet the state is filled with smoke.
Could all of you keep your smoke in your own states. :laughing:

Ha ha... hey it makes for beautiful sunsets!

IMG_4954.JPG

Here is a sortable list of fires.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

Bruce
Yep been following this site for a while now.

This is the warmest and dry summer we have had in my history and this after huge snowpack and rainy spring. Kinda liking the global warming effect around here. Wait... except for the fires and smoke. We have a lot of ash falling and taste of of soot and smoke... and the closest fire is 100mi away. The Norse Peak fire near Crystal Mountain Ski Resort is out of control and they have a level 3 Evac. One of my best friends daughter getting married there this weekend. Not going to happen. They have 4 days to relocate their venue, catering, hotels, etc. Yikes... but not as bad as those that are losing their livelyhood in the beautiful PNW mountains.

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
Here's a couple shots I took last night of the sun. Same shots just one is zoomed to the limit of my cell phone. There is a 10,000 foot mountain under the sun somewhere?

20170906_193657.jpg
20170906_193711.jpg

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Interesting to see how, as the smoke drifts around, there are such differing colors to the sun & moon. I can't see the sun right now, too much smut, smog & corruption, but when it finally shines thru it will be a fiery fluorescent pumpkin orange color.

I'm glad to see you have basically clear skies there in Utah, cat fever. As an example - at my location, I would not be able to see anything out where those tall Lombardy populars and the end of the grey colored house are.

They say it will get better...................

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
but when it finally shines thru it will be a fiery fluorescent pumpkin orange color.

This is why I took the pictures.
The way you described it is how it looked when I was looking out the window. The actual pictures are disappointing.

Bird

Epic Contributor
I've got a brother in Ellensburg. Folks with breathing problems are having a hard time up there.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Ellensburg is about 140 due west of me. They are a whole lot closer to the big fire in the Colombia R. gorge. Eagle Creek wildfire.

Bird

Epic Contributor
My brother is a golf fanatic; plays at least 5 days a week and goes to and from the golf courses on a Honda Gold Wing. He says by the time he gets home, his eyes are burning and watering, and his throat is sore, but that it gets OK before bedtime.:laughing:

mapper

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1734E
Looks like we may be getting a little relief today, west wind is starting to blow and the air is a lot less hazy. Still overcast but it looks a lot more like clouds than smoke. :dance1: