Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice

/ Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice #1  

gt14

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM146 YM165D
I am painting my YM-146 what do you think should I make the last coat a clear coat for protection and shine?

/ Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice #2  
I am painting my YM-146 what do you think, should I make the last coat a clear coat for protection and shine?
Ensure the clear coat can withstand diesel and hydraulic fluid.

/ Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice #3  
Clear coat will help make the paint job really stand out, and last much longer, but many clearcoats that are tough, I.e. diesel resistant, are based on chemicals (isocyantes) that you shouldn't inhale. So take all the safety precautions if you go that route, and make sure that any respirator has cartridges for the ingredients of the clearcoat that you are using.

PPG makes one that doesn't contain isocyanates, but I haven't used it;

All the best,

Peter

/ Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice
Clear coat will help make the paint job really stand out, and last much longer, but many clearcoats that are tough, I.e. diesel resistant, are based on chemicals (isocyantes) that you shouldn't inhale. So take all the safety precautions if you go that route, and make sure that any respirator has cartridges for the ingredients of the clearcoat that you are using.

PPG makes one that doesn't contain isocyanates, but I haven't used it;

All the best,

Peter
Thank you for the good advice. Things are going good here are some pics
IMG_1968.jpg
IMG_1967.jpg
IMG_1963.jpg
IMG_1975.jpg

/ Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice #5  
I tried Valve springs but they moved way to much. For me so it had to actually stiffen it up. Neck Inj. I was going after the back seat height also. Leaned way to far back. Moved my seat mounts away from the dash and not the first compaint since. 15Yrs.. The springs I used was stronger no doubt. RX7 rotary motor springs I believe back then.

Attachments

• 002 (3) (600 x 450).jpg
    002 (3) (600 x 450).jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 98
Stickers arriving soon and I will post final pics. The decals can no longer be found but I found this website to recreate the stickers for the YM-146 Vintage Reproductions
They keep their artwork so you can order these without the art design fee I think. It cost me $125 for all the stickers

Attachments

• plot.jpg
    plot.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 91
   / Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice #7  
Stickers arriving soon and I will post final pics. The decals can no longer be found but I found this website to recreate the stickers for the YM-146 Vintage Reproductions
They keep their artwork so you can order these without the art design fee I think. It cost me $125 for all the stickers
Those are SUPER !

On the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group, a person with a RED original YM1500D is looking for new decals too. But he wants the originals in Japanese. His are badly faded. So even with a photo pix we can't replicate. Its not easy finding a RED YM1500 like that from Japan. At first I though his was repainted, but no, after his images were posted, a bit of discussion took place about it. We 'believe' it was a Zen-Noh originally making the machine red from the factory.

Does anyone know a good paint on instead of spray on clear coat or paint?

/ Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice #9  
Like using those gray foam brushes? It will not look pretty. I have cheated using the foam brushes on touch up areas less than 2x2 inch areas, but not entire vehicle panels.

Here are a few better options.

Or just a nice electronic air sprayer on the cheap, still better than foam brushes, roll on or whatever.

Last edited:
   / Painting YM-146 Clearcoat or no clearcoat any advice #10  
You won't get a great finish trying to brush it on. It is self leveling within a fairly tight range that a brush is going to fight.
You can get clear coat in a single can, but you still need the personal protection equipment.

All the best,

Peter