Pancreatic Cancer

/ Pancreatic Cancer #1  

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
Anyone dealt with it?

My sister just diagnosed with it. They've done additional scans and don't see cancer anywhere else. Treatment plan is 3 months chemo, Whipple procedure, then possible 3 more months of chemo.

Not going to lie, i'm very worried about her.

First chemo treatment started last Friday 4/2, she became very nauseated, couldn't keep food or liquids down. They took the chemo pack off a few days ago, and she is just starting to have reduced nausea, unfortunately, any thing she tried to eat earlier, just makes her gag now, though she is starting to eat other things, thank goodness. I suspect, her 3 months of treatment are going to be a repeat of her first week.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #2  
I am very sorry.

I had a cousin with pancreatic cancer. She lived 4 years after the diagnosis. Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is really bad.

When my cousin got it, in 2016, the doctors said around 7% survive more than 5 years. Hopefully that number is way higher now.

Chemo is tough. My wife had chemo for breast cancer. It worked for her but she was sick after each treatment. You have to force yourself to get the necessary nutrition and try to keep up strength thru exercise. Easy for me to say - but she was very diligent.

Good luck and try to be positive as much as possible.

MoKelly

/ Pancreatic Cancer #3  
Not good. That one is a killer. It's good it hasn't spread, but damn...

My thought and prayers.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #4  
Have faith...my sister (now late 70's) had the Whipple procedure 6 years ago with no sign of the cancer since...

When the Whipple procedure was first developed the survival rate was very low...like some in the 20's....now it is well into the 80's-90's...

/ Pancreatic Cancer #5  
Prayers for your family. I'll focus on Pine's comments.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #6  
My thoughts and prayers to your family. Thats a tough one.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #7  
Sorry to hear this.
My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2019. She was not a surgical candidate because of where the mass was (major blood vessels). At the time we were told 5% survive to 5 years, but that was a very broad statistic covering all pancreatic cancers and severities.
My mom tried one round of chemo, but could not tolerate the side effects. The side effects hospitalized her (she was 80) and she elected to go into a hospice program. We respected her wishes and supported her decision.
Every case is different, and each patient is different. I will say that at least with the chemo type my Mom was given, the first treatment can have the worst side effects and they were going to adjust the treatment to be more tolerable. My mom was made aware of this, but just didn't want to continue.

Prayers for you and your sister.

/ Pancreatic Cancer
Thanks everyone, for you kind and encouraging words.

I think at this point dealing with the immediate problem of her nausea from the chemo will be a challenge.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #9  
Thanks everyone, for you kind and encouraging words.

I think at this point dealing with the immediate problem of her nausea from the chemo will be a challenge.
see if she can tolerate smoking pot... if not, maybe some edibles. I have been in the medical field (as well as my sister and my daughter).... I have seen many patients that have been dramatically helped by cannabis.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #10  
If it is operable with the Whipple procedure, then the outcome can be very good. That suggests it's a less severe form. It's important to make sure it cannot spread in the meantime.

Other types of pancreatic cancer (not the ones treatable with Whipple) are severe and very aggressive. Folks don't often get much time with those types of diagnoses.

Best wishes for your sister. I guess if it was me, I'd be a little bit thankful and optimistic that Whipple is an option. That sounds strange to say with a cancer diagnosis, but the other possibilities are so much worse.