PAretired

/ PAretired #1  

PAretired

Tractor
John Deere 445
I own a John Deere 445 w/ hydro trans. Current hour meter reading is only 1,300 hrs. When PTO is engaged ( mower deck ) the steering and reverse operation of transmission has become very difficult. Power steering is very heavy and difficult to turn wheel either forward or reverse and the speed of tractor in reverse is extremely slow / crawls in reverse. I had previously changed the hydro fluid and filter some ago and the fluid is clean and to proper level. Any suggestions as to a remedy before taking to dealer ( prefer not to ) that I can accomplish here at home ?

/ PAretired #2  
Probably start by checking charge pump pressure. Could be pump weak or going out or internal leak

/ PAretired
Thanks for the quick reply. Not to sound stupid but how do you check the charge pump pressure ?

/ PAretired #4  
Private message me your email and I'll shoot you some pics

/ PAretired #6  
There you go MORRISONSTEEL got you covered!

/ PAretired
Sounds like more test equipment, etc. than I own. Just the average home owner. I hate the thought of taking back to JD. Do you think changing the oil and filter will help ?
Oil is still good color od red and full.

/ PAretired
Sorry, I forgot to say thank you for your relpies and help.

/ PAretired #9  
With the attached info just about any auto repair facility should be able to do the pressure test, may be not as many options for the flow test.