Parting out 1956 JD 420C Crawler

Item Details
Good engine, sheet metal, gas tank, radiator which I think are also compatible with 420/430 wheel tractors.

Many crawler-specific parts.

Email me at pfoxyATyahooDOTcom for a list with prices and/or pictures.

Offers considered on any purchase. Delivery possible within a 300 mile radius of Bar Harbor, Maine for $1.50 per loaded mile. Actual UPS costs for smaller stuff. Crating extra.

EDIT: Pictures and prices posted at:

Parts, Page 1

Parts, Page 2

Attachments

• crawler7.jpg
    crawler7.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
   / Parting out 1956 JD 420C Crawler #11  
   / Parting out 1956 JD 420C Crawler #12  
8k is good money?? Hold on while I go buy a crawler for a couple thousand, spend thousands fixing it, work on it for a year or longer and sell it for $8,000.

The folks responding with.... "those are going for good money"..... have never owned an old crawler.
I bought a "good condition" old crawler in 1971.
I will NEVER forget to NEVER do THAT again.

/ Parting out 1956 JD 420C Crawler #13  
The folks responding with.... "those are going for good money"..... have never owned an old crawler.
I bought a "good condition" old crawler in 1971.
I will NEVER forget to NEVER do THAT again.

ahahaaaaa......60's model JD350 for me....and I'm cured as well !

/ Parting out 1956 JD 420C Crawler
Sorry, haven't been back to visit this thread for a while.

I've sold everything usable except the dozer blade and the grille/hood/gas tank.

Re: The Machinery Pete post. Asking price is one thing, actual selling price is something else entirely.

I was (mostly) kidding about the wife, but it WAS a factor in the "pick your battles" sense.

An incomplete list of what it needed:

All transmission bearings - $500-ish from JD Construction Equipment dealer, maybe half that if...IF...I could source generic bearings.

Output shaft and ring gear - NLA from dealer, $450 plus shipping used.

Complete reverser assembly - also NLA, $450 plus shipping used.

Main clutch and pressure plate - didn't search, gave up by the time I found out it was trashed but at a guess around $300.

Steering clutch linkage shaft - didn't search, probably have to spray weld and turn back down or sleeve it. Not cheap.

Both track frames - Both sides rotted out, "toes" where adjustable idler slides broken completely off, rest of weldment paper thin in spots. No idea, can't imagine new ones being even available, much less affordable. Used ones would be a complete crap shoot and shipping would be horrendous.

Inner and outer stone guards on both sides trashed. Probably have to have them made up from scratch. Again, not cheap.

Idler wheel bearings and housings - both sides sloppy, housings would have to be machined and sleeved, bearings are probably out there. Easy $500 worth of machine work and parts.

Both blade cylinders shot, shafts pitted, leaking like a sieve. Parts NLA, rebuild by shop if they could find the parts would easily run more than new cylinders. New cylinders at least $500 assuming I could find cylinders that A) fit the mounts and B) were compatible with the system.

Add that all up and I'd have $5000 or more tied up in a machine that might sell for half that.

Didn't take long to understand the math on that one.

On the plus side, I've parted it out for enough to cover the original purchase price, plus my trip to go get it and put a couple of hundred in my pocket and I still have $200 or $300 worth of stuff to sell.

/ Parting out 1956 JD 420C Crawler #15  
Sorry, haven't been back to visit this thread for a while.

I've sold everything usable except the dozer blade and the grille/hood/gas tank.

Re: The Machinery Pete post. Asking price is one thing, actual selling price is something else entirely.

I was (mostly) kidding about the wife, but it WAS a factor in the "pick your battles" sense.

An incomplete list of what it needed:

All transmission bearings - $500-ish from JD Construction Equipment dealer, maybe half that if...IF...I could source generic bearings.

Output shaft and ring gear - NLA from dealer, $450 plus shipping used.

Complete reverser assembly - also NLA, $450 plus shipping used.

Main clutch and pressure plate - didn't search, gave up by the time I found out it was trashed but at a guess around $300.

Steering clutch linkage shaft - didn't search, probably have to spray weld and turn back down or sleeve it. Not cheap.

Both track frames - Both sides rotted out, "toes" where adjustable idler slides broken completely off, rest of weldment paper thin in spots. No idea, can't imagine new ones being even available, much less affordable. Used ones would be a complete crap shoot and shipping would be horrendous.

Inner and outer stone guards on both sides trashed. Probably have to have them made up from scratch. Again, not cheap.

Idler wheel bearings and housings - both sides sloppy, housings would have to be machined and sleeved, bearings are probably out there. Easy $500 worth of machine work and parts.

Both blade cylinders shot, shafts pitted, leaking like a sieve. Parts NLA, rebuild by shop if they could find the parts would easily run more than new cylinders. New cylinders at least $500 assuming I could find cylinders that A) fit the mounts and B) were compatible with the system.

Add that all up and I'd have $5000 or more tied up in a machine that might sell for half that.

Didn't take long to understand the math on that one.

On the plus side, I've parted it out for enough to cover the original purchase price, plus my trip to go get it and put a couple of hundred in my pocket and I still have $200 or $300 worth of stuff to sell.

I am surprised, and pleased,..... for your end result,....... and how quickly it occurred.
Congratulations!
Thanks for the posting update.

/ Parting out 1956 JD 420C Crawler
I'm pleasantly surprised myself.

I've been down this road before (slow learner...) and usually lose my shirt.