Parts for a 28 gpm hydraulic system

/ Parts for a 28 gpm hydraulic system #1  

Oliver1655

Gold Member
Tractor
Oliver 1655
I am planning on building another wood splitter with a 6" cylinder & 28 gpm 2 stage hydraulic pump. My current splitter has a 4" cylinder with a 16 gpm pump. For straight grained wood I can use a 4 way wedge without problems but I want to build another with a larger wedge system option. I need to locate a source for hydraulic valves which can handle the 28 gpm flow. I have found several rated at 25 gpm but not 28 gpm plus.
I need: 1 with basic "log splitter configuration" - spring load split / detente return
2 with spring returns both ways

Thanks for the help. John

/ Parts for a 28 gpm hydraulic system #2  
   / Parts for a 28 gpm hydraulic system #3  
This valve should handle your 28 GPM flow even though it is a 25 GPM valve, with a little loss at the higher GPM.

Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL 25 GPM LOG SPLITTER VALVE W/AUTO DETENT

The 28 GPM is only splitting at a pressure of 400 to 900 psi, and at 7 GPM, it can build up a pressure of 3000 psi.

Most valves have spring return, so not sure what you really want.

Are you looking for auto detent return both ways?

/ Parts for a 28 gpm hydraulic system
Thanks for the responses.
- Aaron, you are right in anticipating I need open center valves. I'll take a look.
- J.J. I was just referring to having to hold the valve during the splitting extension of the ram & placing the valve in a detente position for the return stroke. I figured the 25 gpm would work but would like one in the 30 gpm range to decrease resistance / heating of hydraulic fluid. With my current splitter ~ 15.7 ton, most of the splitting happens in low range.

Another parameter I neglected to mention in I want all ports on the splitting valve to be 3/4". This is what the pump & cylinder have. The other two valves 3/4" in/out ports, 1/2" working ports.

Thanks again.
John