Pasture cash lease $ per acre?

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre? #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
My question doesn’t really fit anywhere, but this is the closest. Neighbor is retiring and wants to lease his cattle farm. Two miles from my place, boundary fence all good, cross fence is electric, five ponds, good barn and corrals. 40 acres is grass, measured by satellite and confirmed at soil conservation office. 15 of the 40 was a hay field. 20 acres in woods. Fertility is average to low. Lays well for North Western Ky. Hunting and fishing rights not included. What would something like this lease for in your area? But mostly interested in Ky.

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre? #2  
I'll be really interested in the responses you get, and I'll start out
100 acres of pasture - low Ph (needs 300 tons of lime), not cross fenced, no barns, 2 all weather springs with creeks below, was sludged about 4 years ago, but other than that, no fertilizer in 15 years. $3100 a year for the whole kit and kaboodle.

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre?
Good to hear from you. What part of the country we talking about?

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre? #4  
Leesburg, VA. This puts us in the Washington D.C. suburbs. Lands value is for development, not agriculture. Running about $17K an acre in large lots That makes those 100 acres worth about $1,700,000. At $3100 a year, that's a .02% return a year. In Northern Virginia, typically 2 to 2-1/2 acres per beef cow. Herdsman runs about 30 cows and calves on the property. How much does he make on those ?

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre?
I ran across a couple of my cattleman friends yesterday. One said $30-32 a acre annually. The other said a flat rate of $1000 for 30 acres. All depends on amenities on the place and distance and weather you have cattle ready to go it.

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre? #6  
I would ask more questions about other things. Can bales be stored on property? Indoors or all outdoors? That question was one of many I didn’t ask up front and found out the answers the hard way. In my area, it would probably rent for $30.

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre? #7  
I just picked up 27 acres for 50 small square bales a cut. We got 1,242 small squares out of it our first cut but second cut of the season so I think we did okay. It’s his lawn so he’s covering any treatments I’ll spread.

So many variables to land, hard to put any dollar figure on it as a general rule it seems.

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre? #8  
On the little hobby farms here, 10 to 30 acres, paying the property tax might be typical rent to lease out the land, not any structures.

/ Pasture cash lease $ per acre? #9  
I let the rancher to the south graze his cattle on all but about ten of my 80 acres. Charges - nothing. It's a real blessing to have his cattle chomp down the field grass and reduce the wildfire danger. He did instal a barbed wire fence. Keeps his cattle off about ten of my acres. Where the house, outbuildings, etc are all located.