Pastures on leach fields

/ Pastures on leach fields #1  

gerard

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT w/FEL
I turn to the collective wisdom of the board for this one. My wife wants to expand our horse pasture and wants it to go over our leach field. We're in agreement that it CANNOT go over the septic tank itself but she see's no harm in having it encompass the drain tiles/leach field. Anyone have experience, pros/cons on this? I'm against it because horses tend to run the fence line wearing a dirt path that leads to increased erosion, possibly exposing the drain tile. Also thought the vibrations from the running could cause fines to enter the drain tile - also not a desirable situation. Input please?

/ Pastures on leach fields #2  
Absolutely 100% do not do that!!! I've seen the damage that it does and you will have to redo them. Horses are very hard on the ground and I can pretty much guarantee you it's not a question of when but how much damage will be done.

/ Pastures on leach fields #3  
Best Listen to cowboydoc.

Leach fields should have no traffic of any kind over them. Even the grasses that grow may not be healthy for animals.

The field works because air is available for the proper chemical reactions to occur. Animals and traffic compact the soil and shut off the air supply.

Egon

/ Pastures on leach fields #4  
I have a three leach fingers about 4 feet down on a raised mound that are inside a 1-1/2 acre paddock. I am somewhat concerned about compaction. I aerate regularly (spike) and rotate our 2 mares outta that paddock monthly. This situation has endured for a year now and I'm still getting return growth during the rest period for that paddock.

We had (me and the CEO) had a little friction over this issue, but so far so good (lump in throat). The septic box is not inside this area, but the fingers/field are.

Pray for me.

/ Pastures on leach fields #5  
Don't chance it, Gerard. Compaction is a key issue. Ain't
worth the risk for the few square feet of pasture that would
be involved.

/ Pastures on leach fields #6  
i don't have horses, but i do have donkeys and cows, and the leach fields have been in the pasture for 17 years at this place, and i know of places they have been there for many more, with no problems..many countries use human waste as fertilizer, with no apparent problems, plus i know a couple folks that use to have the local septic tank pumpers dump the stuff on their pastures, they had lots of land, 1000 + acres, so it wasn't near anyone, but their critters did graze those pastures.
heehaw

/ Pastures on leach fields #7  
I didn't realize that having a leach field in a pasture could be a problem. Our leach field was installed in 1983 and since that time sheep, a horse or two, and our donkey Hermano have grazed that area without evident problems. Remeber Erma Bombeck's book "The Grass Grows Greener Over the Septic Tank?" (I hope I quoted the title correctly).

/ Pastures on leach fields #8  
You can damage the fields and they can still work for years. I have one old guy who has been doing these for years. He said that he's seen leech fields working where all but one line was plugged up. Sure you can get away with it and maybe for years but it's not the best thing to do.

/ Pastures on leach fields #9  
Right on Richard!! I never cease to be amazed at the illogical leap so may folks make. They site the fact that so and so did such and such and nothing bad was noticed so it must be a great idea to do it. If you saw three guys each play Russian Roulette and all survived then I guess Russian Roulette must be a smart idea. You can walk across the street without looking, especially in a rural area, but if you keep it up, eventually a quiet vehicle is gonna make you into freeway pizza.

In the original problem statement there was concern for fines getting into the gravel. Gravel (or tire chunks or whatever) should always be covered with geotextile prior to backfiling to prevent that. Some folks even put a few inches of sand on top of the geotextile before backfilling (belt and suspenders or a double bagger if you are familiar with THAT term)

Stock, in a confined area, can really pack the soil so tight that it will lose porosity and inhibit the transevaporation (??) combination of transpiration of moisture by plants on the surface and evaporation. I was cautioned that if I drove my tractor across the leach field to do so across the ditches not along them to reduce compaction.

Raw sewage is not a good idea for fertilizer. Properly composted waste (human or otherwise) is great stuff. With a properly functioning septic system where the effluent does not reach the surface without proper filtration through ample soil, the grass grown thereon should not cause a problem for man or beast. Where you get into problems is with systems like grey water in sprinklers or septic effluent on the surface either by accident or some darned fool irrigating with it because, after all, the Japanese carry "honey buckets" of human waste to their fields.

Viri that infect people do not live in/infect plants. A plant can have its roots in virus tainted water but its upper growth will not contain any viri. Grass, OK. Carrots, radishes, and other root crops, NOT OK! If you sprinkle the surface with virus contaminated water such as from the laundry, shower, septic tank, or whatever you physically contaminate the vegetable matter and washing well enough to remove the contamination is hard to impossible to accomplish (even with the soaps being sold for washing vegies) without ruining the food.

A local town (Wanette, OK) has just had a new waste water treatment plant constructed and no longer has raw sewage overflows into a creek feeding the South Canadian river. They treat the effluent in the new "Plant" and store it in a tank till time to irrigate a cooperating farmer's 80 acre hay field. They spray his field when it is growing and "hold off" when he is cutting and making hay. After he gets the bales out of his field they start spraying again. This system is fully certified and safe. The water being sprayed is not biologically active (nothing alive in it). In theory you could drink some with no harmfull effects except aesthetic concerns (in my case throwing up, I have a psychological problem with drinking waste, others might feel differently???).

Patrick

/ Pastures on leach fields #10  
lack of a "confined area" may be the secret to our success, plus the fact that i have never seen anyone have to redo their lateral lines in the pasture, but i sure have seen a lot of people redo them in their yards. we have a little test that has to be performed before putting in a septic system, that test the ability of the ground to absorb the water. most folks put in the minium lateral lines, and then don't take care of their septic tanks..they have the idea it will last forever, no matter what they do, but if you don't take care in what you put in the tank, the sludge will fill and flow into the lateral lines, which stops them up an they have to be replaced...lots of bleach is a big no no.
heehaw