PC-11 or CK-4 motor oil

/ PC-11 or CK-4 motor oil #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I just read this and it appears a new set of alphabet soup is coming to us, with "improved specs".
Not a lot of details out, anyone have info to share?
this was on Mobil's Delo site:

On December 1, 2016, two new categories of oil standards will be licensed: API CK-4 and FA-4. In the development phase, these oils have been referred to as PC-11A and PC-11B respectively.

Both deliver superior performance over current oils. The first will protect new and older engine models. And, the latter was designed to provide optimized fuel economy for 2017 engines that are designed to take advantage of these improvements.

/ PC-11 or CK-4 motor oil #2  
This info has been out for quite a while. CK-4 will be backward compatible with the oils we have now. The FA-4 can only be used in newer engine with different internal composition that can use it. However, both the newer engines that may spec FA-4, and the older engines, will be able to use CK-4. FA-4 has a significantly lower high temp high shear (HTHS) than what we have now, or even the new CK-4 will have. It is purely driven by the chase for better fuel economy. CK-4 will have much better oxidation control compared to the present oils we have. A definite improvement on what we have that will be backward compatible and everyone can use. One will just have to watch what the job label says the oils is. One does not want to put a FA-4 oil in a older engine.

Actually, many of the major name brand oils on the shelf now are already meet CK-4 specs. Rotella, for one, has stated so in a few press releases that their oils already meet the CK-4 spec. Chevron Delo has made the same product announcements.

/ PC-11 or CK-4 motor oil
thanks Copperhead; so CK-4 will now be the "top" oil spec? Is this just for diesel?

never read anything about this, and frankly groaned a little, have 36 engines to maintain and a wall full of different viscosity oils, and with each change in alphabet soup I worry about compatibility. Backward compatible is the key here. But this new change seems to be about just pushing the state of the art, which is good I suppose. My go to oil is usually Penzoil Pure Platinum or whatever they call it for gas and Rotella T6 for diesel.

Brave new world out there with 0-20 oils, DEF and engines like my Ram Hemi that tap at start up, all considered normal. Kinda wonder if this oil is "thick" enough anymore and if I put different oil in my hemi would it stop its intermittent start up tap. FCA and dealer are adamant to use only the specified viscosity; I personally think it has something to do with variable valve timing and some oil draindown issues but it makes me wonder if this quest for fuel economy is going to impact on engine life. If the oil gets "slicker" due to higher tech, probably all good

It will be interesting to see who adopts this new standard first; i.e. will BMW or Honda or someone require the new oil asap? And what about Cummins and others?

/ PC-11 or CK-4 motor oil #4  
All the heavy diesel engine OEM's have been factory filling and recommending the XXw30 weights for quite a while. And all of them are already on board with the new oil specs. Cummins, Detroit, Volvo/Mack, Navistar, Paccar. How soon the smaller engine makers get on board, that is anyone's guess. If the heavy duty commercial engine folks have already hopped into the boat, the new specs must be good. Many of the same concerns were expressed when CJ-4 spec showed up. Many had a fit and didn't want to risk their engine. But time has shown, CJ-4 spec was a solid improvement. I have no doubt CK-4 will be a similar experience.

/ PC-11 or CK-4 motor oil
so the bottom line here is this oil is just now starting to hit the market; i.e. CK-4 stamped on the bottle and not just in marketing releases, but has been well known for awhile?

I feel like I've just read an article and didn't see the date was a year old...
At least it's alphabetical and we are up to K.

begs the question, what will Z be like? ;)

/ PC-11 or CK-4 motor oil #6  
You would be largely correct. Most of us in the commercial trucking community knew about the new oil specs at least a year ago. It has been all over the trucking rag websites and the commercial market side of the oil blenders websites. Been talked about at commercial trucking conferences since at least last winter. I have gotten email news from just about every oil company and commercial trucking concern for most of this year discussing it. Rotella and Delo specifically have had ongoing FAQ's being emailed out to trucking companies regarding the new specs for all of this year. I have seen news clips emailed to me from many of the major oil companies that their diesel engine oils are already meeting the CK-4 spec. My oil supplier, Schaeffer, told me last spring that they would have CK-4 oil blending going on right about now. Rotella has been more forthcoming in that they state the HDEO oils they are putting out now are all CK-4 compliant. Only the FA-4 stuff hasn't shown up, but then, the engines that it is designed for have not been built yet and won't be till next year.