Perkins Injector Pump Removal

/ Perkins Injector Pump Removal #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hello, could someone please walk me through the steps to properly remove the injector pump on a Massey Ferguson 231 tractor? It has the Perkins AD3.152 Diesel engine. I’m no diesel mechanic and I don’t want to mess up the timing, but I do have hand tools.
Thanks

/ Perkins Injector Pump Removal #2  
Pretty simple really. Just remove the injection lines and the linkage and remove the hold down clamps and pull it out. However...DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE AT ALL AFTER YOU REMOVE THE PUMP OR YOU'LL LOSE THE TIMING. AND WHEN YOU REMOVE THE PUMP, IAKE NOTE OF THE POSITION OF THE TIMING MARK ON THE PUMP DRIVE AND WHEN YOU REINSTALL IT, MAKE SURE THE TIMING MARK ON THE PUMP DRIVE IS IN THE SAME LOCATION AS WHEN YOU REMOVED IT.

I put it caps because you cannot move the engine at all and the timing mark on the pump drive must go back in, in the same position it came out. The pump drive is keyed to the pump shaft so it only goes on the pump shaft one way. However the pump gear and the internal timing gear also have to line up. You can remove the front inspection cover and align the timing marks that way but if you keep everything in alignment and the engine stationary, you don't have to pull the cover.

Even with all that, you might be off a tooth, you'll know when you start it as it won't run properly so you may have to rotate the pump one tooth either way.

if you rotate the engine for any reason when the pump is removed, you'll have to pull the front cover and align the marks.

Been there and did that years ago and it's a PITA but doable.

/ Perkins Injector Pump Removal
Thanks for your reply. One question, What are you referring to as the “pump drive” and the “timing mark on the pump drive?”

/ Perkins Injector Pump Removal #4  
The pump drive is the keyed gear on the pump shaft that goes in the timing case and that gear will have a reference mark on the front facing surface. Note the position of that mark in relationship to the block itself when you pull the pump. I'd suggest taking a paint marker and marking the block where the reference mark is in the gear so you can put it back in in that position, don't guess. If you don't, you'll be pulling the front cover to align the timing marks and that is a pretty big job.

I'm long past a Perkins, that was at least 12 years ago.

/ Perkins Injector Pump Removal #5  
There are 3 bolts holding the pump to the block on the OUTSIDE of the engine..
There are 3 bolts holding the PUMP DRIVE to the timing gear on the INSIDE of the engine..
DO NOT move the GEAR once the pump is removed..
U access the 3 bolts on the inside by removing the small cover IN FRONT OF the inj. pump..
There is a timing line on the ear of the inj. pump.. it lines up w/ degree marks on the block..
The're prob. painted over but they ARE there.. take note of which degree mark the line lines up with..
As stated>> DO NOT MOVE THE MACHINE W THE INJ. PUMP REMOVED..
There IS a dowel pin in the DRIVE GEAR that must line up w/ the SLOT in pump drive hub when reinstalling..
DO NOT remove the LEVERS from the pump.. they must go w/ it.. U MUST remove the linkages from the levers..
Good luck..

/ Perkins Injector Pump Removal #6  
On YouTube, theres a few guys showing how the Perkins 3152 injector pump goes.

/ Perkins Injector Pump Removal #7  
Travis.. I was going to offer to rebuild your pump for u..
.. but after looking around, u can BUY A NEW PUMP cheaper than getting yours rebuilt.!!
just MAKE SURE the model # matches.. {example 3233F030}
Good luck.

/ Perkins Injector Pump Removal #8  
.. but after looking around, u can BUY A NEW PUMP cheaper than getting yours rebuilt.!!
Good luck.

I agree with thepumpguysc, if you can find the right model number for a new pump it might be cheaper, unless there is any doubt about the injectors working correctly. If there is, I'd see if thepumpguysc can take a look at both together. Worst case he sends you back your perfectly working injectors instead of some shop that will charge a fortune just to test them only to find out they were fine.

Good luck.

Thank You. Where could I get a new pump for cheap?

I agree with thepumpguysc, if you can find the right model number for a new pump it might be cheaper, unless there is any doubt about the injectors working correctly. If there is, I'd see if thepumpguysc can take a look at both together. Worst case he sends you back your perfectly working injectors instead of some shop that will charge a fortune just to test them only to find out they were fine.
The injectors are fine and I’m 100% sure.