Perkins Rocker Shaft Orientation

/ Perkins Rocker Shaft Orientation #1  

zslnk

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 135
Hello,
I have a Perkins Gas MF135 that I rebuilt the engine on about 8yrs ago. I thought that I'd adjust the tappets as the cam was reground and the tappets were new at rebuild.

IMG_9274.HEIC - Google Drive
IMG_9272.HEIC - Google Drive

The manual states to align the rocker shaft with a punch mark on the aluminum casting. I cannot see a punch mark (I removed the circlip to inspect). To understand the oil system I removed the shaft assembly from the head.

There is ONE oil feed hole that is surrounded by a brass bushing that is fed oil from a line on the head.
There are TWO oiling holes per rocker that are almost aligned with the axis of the oiling hole.

My question is this.
Does the brass bushing have a channel in it that eliminates the requirement to align the oil inlet hole with the feed line into the brass bushing? (The tractor was run without these aligned since new) Where should the TWO oiling holes sit within the rocker shaft? Because the shaft has two possible places to correctly align it (either end of the slot to the punch mark), I assume that the brass bushing orientation doesn't matter but the slot/punch orientates the oil feed within the rocker. When the shaft was disassembled this time, the shaft was in the orientation as per the manual but without the benefit of a punch mark.

Any insight appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:
   / Perkins Rocker Shaft Orientation #2  
If it ran OK for 8 years with how you put it together originally, sounds like it works. My guess is you will have to use common sense to align everything to make sure everything is getting some oil (it doesn't take much), but not so much oil that you lose oil pressure. You should be able to inspect the final assembly with the engine running and valve cover off. Could be more than one orientation will work fine. Although not recommended, I have seen old Ford V8's run for a long time with plugged oil passages to individual rockers. There is usually enough oil flying around under the valve cover to keep things lubricated adequately.

/ Perkins Rocker Shaft Orientation
I read in the diesel portion of the manual that the vertical slot position was minimum oiling. I put it to where the punch mark appears in the manual and ran it to verify it's oiling well.

/ Perkins Rocker Shaft Orientation #4  
I`ve not worked on Perkins petrols, but some diesels have a locking screw on one of the rocker shaft support post to stop the shaft turning. The locking screw usually turns into a machined hollow or a hole in the shaft.