PIA massey ferguson!! Possible fuel problems

/ PIA massey ferguson!! Possible fuel problems #1  

notmyP0S

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1020
Massey ferguson 1020

How much fuel pressure should be coming out of the injection pump with the lines disconnected? I pulled the lines off while changing the injectors and then kicked over the engine and not much fuel at all is coming out. Is this normal. Even with my fingers over the ports and cranking the engine, I still could not feel but a small amount of pressure.

Could the injection pump be clogged or leaking internally?

/ PIA massey ferguson!! Possible fuel problems #2  
Was this with the throttle in the fast or slow position? With the throttle in the slow position very little fuel will come out of the lines as very little fuel is used at an idle.

Pressure is defined as resistance to flow.There is no injector fastened to the line so there is no resistance.

Quote "Could the injection pump be clogged or leaking internally?" At this point I think that's highly unlikely. Possible but most likely not.

To me it sounds like you are in just a little over your head in this. You should have a mechanic friend come by so that you don't hurt yourself. Putting your finger over the line and cranking the engine is not wise. If you inject diesel into your finger the only medical solution is amputation so it pays to be on the cautious side when working with high pressure systems.

/ PIA massey ferguson!! Possible fuel problems #3  
Why are u changing the injectors?? no start??
Why didn't u just hook everything back up & SEE if it runs.. curiosity??
Do u know how to bleed the system properly??
Seeing your getting "some fuel" out of the pump.. tighten the lines AT the pump but leave them loose AT THE INJECTORS..
Spin the engine until u get fuel dripping AT THE INJECTORS & tighten the lines.. it should start now.

/ PIA massey ferguson!! Possible fuel problems
Yes the original problem was it got harder and harder to start over this past winter. I found cloudy fuel coming from the fuel filter, so I drained the tank and changed filter. Nothing. Mind you all while attempting to start there was little to no black smoke coming from exhaust. Which lead me to believe something was wrong with the fuel. I swapped in brand new glow plungs for good measure, and eventually took out the injectors. They were horrible looking, with lots of carbon build up around the where they seat. The copper crush washers were fine. I think they were not properly torqued down by the previous owner. I had the injectors cleaned and checked at a diesel shop, then then thoroughly cleaned the injectors seats, put in new crush washers and torqued them down.
This is where I decided to see how much fuel would shoot from the pump as I cranked ( with the injector lines off).
I just purchased a new starter due to wearing out the old one while attempting to start this thing. And yes the negative and positive cables are good, I doubled checked if there was any voltage drop. The starter just simply was too old and ***** out.

/ PIA massey ferguson!! Possible fuel problems #5  
Would do a compression test, is a very little amount of diesel pr injection. Simplest thing to do is remove the injectors and we if they sprayes, if they do the pump is basical OK.

/ PIA massey ferguson!! Possible fuel problems #6  
notmyP0S
CAUTION: ONE SHOULD NEVER GET FINGERS CLOSE TO INJECTOR LINES WHEN INJ PUMP IS PUMPING FUEL. Getting diesel fuel or hyd oil forced under skin will get one a trip to ER. I've read when this happens Doctor must slit open skin so foreign fluid can drain out.

On tractor fuel problem check to be sure there's good fuel flow from tank to inj pump. When checking for fuel from inj lines did you have throttle advanced over 1/2 way?

notmyP0S
CAUTION: ONE SHOULD NEVER GET FINGERS CLOSE TO INJECTOR LINES WHEN INJ PUMP IS PUMPING FUEL. Getting diesel fuel or hyd oil forced under skin will get one a trip to ER. I've read when this happens Doctor must slit open skin so foreign fluid can drain out.

On tractor fuel problem check to be sure there's good fuel flow from tank to inj pump. When checking for fuel from inj lines did you have throttle advanced over 1/2 way?

This I did not do, because my starter was taking a crap. I only got a 5 seconds of cranking. I have a new starter waiting for me when I get back from business travel this weekend.

Got it running! Thanks everyone!

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / PIA massey ferguson!! Possible fuel problems #9  
Got it running! Thanks everyone!
Wait a minute --- what did you do and what was the final conclusion as to what the problem was !?