PIcked up a little T1600 yesterday

/ PIcked up a little T1600 yesterday #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
We finaly got our Gravely sold, while it was a really nice tractor, my wife was unhappy with the mass consumption of fuel(Kohler Mag 16). It was also way to large. With the Gravely off to a new home, my wife had spotted a little diesel T series on Craigslist nearby that already had ag tires and fit her bill as a fuel sipper. I read up on the T1600 and its issues with drive shafts going bad, taking out the pump input bearing and HST pump itself. That was the first item I checked, shaft looks to be fairly new, no issues with it or the HST itself. The gentleman had been mowing rough ground and the frame ahead of the HST shows the use with some weld work being done(poorly at that). I will need to grind down the bubblegum weld job, reweld properly and I will beef it up a bunch as I plan to put a small sleeve hitch on the back for some limited play time. I think she has the grunt to pull a very small moldboard plow a pass or two with cooling down periods. I do more BS'ing that plowing at most events, only taking a pass or two thru the field. I had a G5200 and even it was to small for our yard. I wanted and needed a smaller diesel. I plan to restore the T1600 to look as new as possible. I don't think many were sold, probably due to the high cost, you do not see them working much anymore. Let alone see one all redone at a show. Sans mower deck she will be my butt buggie for the huge Portland, Indiana show/swap meets, pulling my buddy on his sulkey. I would like to find the odd style front tires these had when new. They were some odd brand with a odd tread pattern. If anybody has a T series with them, can they post up a pic, along with the side wall info off the tire. Also looking for the factory snow blade or snow blower and any spare parts someone might need to clear out. Thanks Mike and Michele T

/ PIcked up a little T1600 yesterday #2  
Nice, Botamike. Looks like a good project. I just sold a G1900S to a Mike in La Port, IN. Funny, I looked at your profile to see if you were that Mike! So, there's a guy just north of you who now has a G1900 with a snow plow. He drove to KY Saturday (about 8 hours, I think) to pick it up.

I've done quite a bit of work/restoration on the G series and they are very similar to the T, I think. You're right about fuel - it's a sipper. But, it's a tank and with some TLC should serve you well for a long time. Good luck.

/ PIcked up a little T1600 yesterday #3  
Nice Mower... I think the Kubota mowers are way under valued. I had one and loved it. Just had too much yard to mow for a rider so I sold it.

/ PIcked up a little T1600 yesterday
I like the larger G series, espicaly the G4200 HST, but finding the 3 point hitch is nearly impossible.(if someone decides to ever sell one of those hitches, please contact me). I am tempted to weld up some reinforcing of the frame work and put a sleeve hitch set up on the rear for some limited fun. Mostly pulling a small 6" moldboard plow a round or two at the local plow days. I have no need for anything larger tractor wise in our small yard, but anything similar in size to the T1600 that is a GT is a gasser. The smallest diesel GT's are the G class Kubotas, or older JD/Cub Cadets. I want the diesel engine. Hopefully this weekend I can take the fenders back off and look at what I can do to strenghten the way the rear frame/ transmission is all mounted. The tubular frame where it curves down to go under the floorboard looks to be the weak point. I welded up all the stress cracks in my mower deck yesterday. Had them on either side of the gear box and around the rear roller arms. The PO was mowing some rough ground. Also going to drop the drive shaft to inspect the U joints and grease the slip joint. From my reading, drive shaft health is paramount to the hydrostat drive pump life. Mike

/ PIcked up a little T1600 yesterday
Is it the bearing or the input shaft that gets worn from both the weight of the drive shaft and any U joint issues. Mine is to the point that you can wiggle it just a bit. I want to nip the problem before pump damage gets out of hand. If its just a bearing, I can source that localy from the local bearing wholesaler. Looks like it can be changed out the front of the pump once the yoke and snap ring are off. Mike