Picked up an F-12

/ Picked up an F-12 #1  

3Lfarms

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XU6168CPS and Farmall F-20
I’m not sure what year it is, but there is a little red paint on the steering gear support, so I think that means it is 1936 or later. I haven’t found the serial number yet.
It had been sitting for a least 20 years, but the guy always had intentions of fixing it up, so the exhaust was kept covered, all the caps are on tight and the intake hose was disconnected and stowed under the radiator. The engine rolls over, the clutch seems to work, the PTO lever moves, the gear selector finds 4 gears, the left brake works, the steering works, and the front wheels turn.
Image1561845833.153723.jpg
Image1561845857.165165.jpg
Image1561845874.747366.jpg
Image1561845895.228402.jpg
Image1561845909.930603.jpg
Image1561845926.787545.jpg
Image1561845942.880953.jpg
Image1561845959.771456.jpg
Image1561845973.688737.jpg

The guy had a big service truck and we picked it up with some straps and set it on my trailer. Should have had the wife shoot some video of that.

My current problem is that I need to get it off my trailer (tilt deck), and the right brake is locked up. When I tap the cover with a hammer, I get a dull thud. When I tap the left, it rings pretty good. I’d like to get the brake freed up so I can roll it off the trailer vs. drag it off.

I have removed the two bolts, squirted PB blaster under the lip at the top, and used a couple of eye bolts and nuts to try and pull the cover, but I’m not having any luck getting it to move. I’m at the verge of stripping the threads. I added more PB, and tapped all over trying to break the rust loose.

Short of destroying the cover, is there something else I need to try to get these off?

/ Picked up an F-12 #2  
That looks more like an F-20, rather than an an F-12. Not an F-14 either. They are basically an F-12, running higher RPM's to get 14 hp. It's not a Regular, as they had open steering gears. Doesn't look large enough for an F-30.

As far as the brakes, you may try more PB, and try rocking the brake lever back and forth, and see if you can get it to move. release that side. If it's similar to an F-12, which I have the brake mechanism is fairly simple, more like a cam action to spread the shoes. More than likely, the drums have rust in them, possibly the linings have swelled, or came loose. It may also help to turn the wheel backwards, then forwards, may help break it loose. If memory serves me right, those brakes, much like the next generation of band brakes worked better going forwards, than back. So pulling backwards may help force the shoes inward.

/ Picked up an F-12 #3  
Nice find :thumbsup:keep the updates coming.

/ Picked up an F-12
That looks more like an F-20, rather than an an F-12. Not an F-14 either. They are basically an F-12, running higher RPM's to get 14 hp. It's not a Regular, as they had open steering gears. Doesn't look large enough for an F-30.

As far as the brakes, you may try more PB, and try rocking the brake lever back and forth, and see if you can get it to move. release that side. If it's similar to an F-12, which I have the brake mechanism is fairly simple, more like a cam action to spread the shoes. More than likely, the drums have rust in them, possibly the linings have swelled, or came loose. It may also help to turn the wheel backwards, then forwards, may help break it loose. If memory serves me right, those brakes, much like the next generation of band brakes worked better going forwards, than back. So pulling backwards may help force the shoes inward.

I think you are right on it being an F-20. The seller said it was an F-12. I have been reading the manual for the F series tractors and couldn’t figure out why it says an F-12 should have a down draft carburetor,when this one clearly has an updraft.

/ Picked up an F-12
The ID tag is missing, but the serial number on the frame and engine match, and make it a mid-1936 model F-20.

With my neighbors help today, we were able,to get the brakes freed up. The left is in good shape, but the right had filled about half full of rust and was locked up tight. Ended up getting about half a quart of rust dust out, but the brake drum did come off and the shaft is in good shape, but the drum and shoes on that side will need to be replaced since they were so badly eaten up. Good news is it rolls free, so I tilted the deck of the trailer and it rolled off. Probably the first time the wheels have turned in 20+ years.

/ Picked up an F-12 #6  
We had several of these on the farm, way back in the day. Is this a hand brake model? I think most of the early ones were and it looks like it has the hardware for the steering connected turning brakes, although the cables are gone. This was really convenient for field work but could be dangerous under some conditions.

/ Picked up an F-12
Yep, no brake pedals, although I guess they were an option.
This one seems to be missing the right brake handle. There is no sign of it ever being there. There is a hole in the shaft where it should have a pin to hold it in place, but the hole is empty. If the handle broke off, I would think at least part of the pin would still be there.

If anyone has a line on some parts for an F-20, I need that brake handle and a crank handle. The guy I bought it from didn’t know where he put the crank.

/ Picked up an F-12
Does anybody know how to contact a moderator to correct the the title of this thread to F-20?

/ Picked up an F-12 #9  
This is a F 12

Attachments

• f 12.jpg
    f 12.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 323
   / Picked up an F-12 #10  
Pretty sure those were designed to use the one brake handle to activate both brakes. And, as KennyG mentioned, separate braking for turning in the field was done via a cable hooked to each brake, via the steering.

That design probably looked good on paper at the time. Probably long before farmers were trying to pull bigger implements with them, than designed for, or working on hillsides, and/or both.

I bought one at an auction back in the 70's for $20, and that's not a misprint. It really wasn't that bad of shape, although did not start, but the engine was free. But, it was so darned wide on the rear end, the tires were right at the edge of my trailer, which is 1" under 8' wide. Just didn't think I wanted to be loading & unloading it much, to take to shows. An ole' boy made mean offer on it I couldn't refuse, so she found anew home.