Pickup bed tonneau cover

/ Pickup bed tonneau cover #31  
Maybe that girl couldn't damage it, but fairly minor hail sure did.

/ Pickup bed tonneau cover
There are a whole LOT of things different about Alaska - other than the people that live there. Liquor stores are privately owned. Every Wednesday was their big advertised sale day. People buzzing around the liquor stores with shopping carts. In AK - booze is BIG business. Kind of like raising corn for gasohol in Iowa.

So one Wed - I was there. Big ad with "she with plenty" bending forward - picking up a jug of hooch. I told the cashier - to H**L with the booze. I'll just take her. He didn't even crack a smile or bat an eye. Looked at me and said - "Number 43".

Last edited:
Soooo......reason I'm a bit goofier than normal. Last four hours searching the internet for the right tonneau cover. I've decided, but will wait to purchase until the vehicle is in hand. I will be ordering - DiamondBack HD. Plenty strong, looks nice. If you believe the literature - I will be able to crawl into the pickup bed, shut the lid, survive the blast wave from a close-in thermo nuclear detonation. And the price - - right in line with the new pickup. All, very important.

You know - there are those of you who question why I'm going this way. With the new truck and this tonneau cover, etc. All the $$$ being spent. Well, I'm 76, not getting much younger. And after YEARS of research - if I want it, I better get it now. Likely, I'll not be coming back around for a second shot. And I do mean legitimate research. With Father Henry at the Catholic church in Spokane.

Anyhow - this cover DOES look nice, it's tougher than a bull rhino, the video show a rock simple instal, it WILL protect from weather and all but the most determined thief. Won't even need a copy of - Tonneau installation for dummies.

Thank to all for suggestions, commentary and hanging in. Pictures aplenty when I get it.

/ Pickup bed tonneau cover #34  
We're looking forward to your pictures of the new truck, the new cover, AND some road trip pictures sprinkled in. After spending the night in the PW's bed, does it make you breakfast?

No breakfast. However, when I was young & tolerant I would do this when I went moose hunting. I've slept in the bed of my pickup when it was REALLY cold. The stupid air mattress would deflate because of the cold. Your arm, shoulder would feel the freezing steel of the truck bed thru the deflated air mattress, get cold, start aching. Wake & have to reinflate the mattress.

People ask - why not sleep in the cab. The moisture in your breath freezes on the metal ceiling of the cab. For the first hour or so - after you wake and start the pickup. It thaws and drips down all over the inside of the cab.

Very best solution - army folding cot - right out on the ground - two down sleeping bags. Once you get in and get settled its OK. I never had any kind of tent or camper.

However, every late hunting season I alway got a moose. Sixteen seasons - sixteen moose.

You are looking forward for pictures - - I'm still waiting for a vehicle that is supposedly "in transit". Must be coming from China.

I've irritated the "instant chat" folks on at least half a dozen tonneau sites.

Life was simple back in those days. When I went hunting it was usually 2-3 days. The wife would make me baloney sandwiches and I had apples. Three baloney sandwiches, three apple per day. No cooking or other tasks required. Hunting was not a sport or for pleasure. I was out to get meat.

/ Pickup bed tonneau cover #36  
No breakfast. However, when I was young & tolerant I would do this when I went moose hunting. I've slept in the bed of my pickup when it was REALLY cold. The stupid air mattress would deflate because of the cold. Your arm, shoulder would feel the freezing steel of the truck bed thru the deflated air mattress, get cold, start aching. Wake & have to reinflate the mattress.

People ask - why not sleep in the cab. The moisture in your breath freezes on the metal ceiling of the cab. For the first hour or so - after you wake and start the pickup. It thaws and drips down all over the inside of the cab.

Very best solution - army folding cot - right out on the ground - two down sleeping bags. Once you get in and get settled its OK. I never had any kind of tent or camper.

However, every late hunting season I alway got a moose. Sixteen seasons - sixteen moose.

You are looking forward for pictures - - I'm still waiting for a vehicle that is supposedly "in transit". Must be coming from China.

I've irritated the "instant chat" folks on at least half a dozen tonneau sites.

Life was simple back in those days. When I went hunting it was usually 2-3 days. The wife would make me baloney sandwiches and I had apples. Three baloney sandwiches, three apple per day. No cooking or other tasks required. Hunting was not a sport or for pleasure. I was out to get meat.

Simpler times = Good times = Good stories.

Another question - same topic. This cover I'm looking at is aluminum diamond plate. I wonder if any have had a tonneau of aluminum and had it sprayed with a bed liner product. Such as Rhino or Line-X. If so - how did it work out. The Diamond Back company will spray it with black powder coat. An option for $320. My experience with powder coat on farm equipment - not so favorable, at all. I could easily take the standard bare AL cover to a local business and have it sprayed with undercoat, before installation. I know, undercoat would not be shiny, like powder coat. I'm looking for longevity - not shiny.

/ Pickup bed tonneau cover #38  
Looking at the DB site, the black version doesn't look like any powder coating I've seen. It looks like bed liner, with a rough finish. My initial thought was "$320, no way". But after seeing the pictures of it I do like the finish. Depending on your truck color, I would either stick with the bare aluminum, or opt for the black finish from DB. Removing all the hardware an gaskets, getting it sprayed (adding a lot of weight), reinstalling the hardware and gaskets so it doesn't leak, makes the factory option seem fair in my opinion. Also, I'd bet your warranty would be toast once you removed everything and sprayed it with bed liner.

Yet, another confusing point. When I look at the DB black unit, it looks like bed liner product to me, also. Fact - one of the owners posted a review on the DB site. He called the black unit - his black bed liner tonneau. Instant chat with a DB tech on one of the dealer sites - she said the black was powder coat.

I have an email to Rhino regarding the cost. Never though about warranty.

I think you make a very valid point, Ford850. The unit has a lifetime product warranty. Last thing I want to do - screw up the warranty. If I want black - let the DB do it. Otherwise - get the raw AL version.

I also have an email to Diamond Back Corporate on this. Maybe you can get either powder coat or bed liner sprayed, by corporate, on the unit.

When you see the pictures of the DB Heavy Duty unit and the deer/elk hunters, on their web page. There is little doubt in my mind - that unit has black bed liner sprayed on it.

Last edited:
Holy smoke & oakum. Never received such a rapid reply from a company. Reply in less than ten minuets. TBN says the email response is "invalid file". Otherwise, I would attach.

Jordan Smith, Corporate Diamond Back Truck covers.

"Thank you for contacting us. The Rugged Black is a premium UV protected spray on truck bed liner."

That certainly answers the question. Knowing how tough the bed liner product is and for the added $320 - I'll opt for the black version.