pickup truck size

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH, Massey Ferguson & Kubota
I just traded my 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 in on a 2021 Jeep Gladiator 4x4. Both trucks have the same diesel engine and transmission. Both crew cabs.

The Ram advantage was the HUGE back seat area. Tons of interior storage. Comfy for rear seat passengers as well.

The Jeep advantage is that it's small, so it whips into parking spaces easily. It fits in my residential garage more easily. It's just more fun to drive, period. It also tows my 8.5x24' enclosed trailer exactly like the Ram did, since both are classified as "1/2 ton" and both have identical powertrains. So really the only thing I gave up is the physical size, which has pros and cons.

There's definitely something to be said for a small truck. I'm 6'3". On the Ram, I could not reach over the bedsides and touch the load floor. On the Jeep I can. It makes getting things out of the bed so much easier.
Tried to buy a gladiator diesel, ended up with a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door. 🙃
Dealer gave me a terrific deal and the 20k I saved really helped elsewhere.
I’d like to try a gladiator next time around.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
It does seem like an interesting vehicle, and it's hard to argue with 37 (sales hype, YMMV) mpg, but if a 4 door is the only configuration available I'll pass. I'd rather have a longer bed than a back seat which I'd almost never use.
I will keep my Colorado, or upgrade that to a 3/4 ton. Either way, I want something which costs less to buy, fuel, and repair for when I'm just running around or going down to my mother's house 200 miles away.

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
I have looked at trading my 05 Silverado 2WD WT (Reg Cab, 8' bed, 4.8L V8 Automatic and 3.18 rear end that gets >20 MPH after all these years if I don't push it too hard) a few times as it has 245,000 on it but all of the new ones have a much higher entry and loading heights that they were not what I wanted so I keep my old one which is still running great.

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3, Kubota M9000 HD, Kubota Sidekick UTE
Ours with its 6ft box is close enough to 8. We simply leave the tailgate down when we need more. :rolleyes:
All well and good until what you are hauling falls out in the road and the guy behind you hits it.

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3, Kubota M9000 HD, Kubota Sidekick UTE
Had no idea when i posted this thread there would be so many reasonable & diverse opinions on the subject. what i can say is that is good to see how many can accurately express what they want in a truck. what i've learned in this is that the market is far more diverse with attention to customer options than i 1st realized. this is a good thing.

personally, i have always leaned to smaller work horse pickups. my beater is a '92 4wd long bed 4cyl Toyota (pre Tacoma) the only new vehicle i've ever purchased & will remain so. 279k original engine never broken into. use it for highway & farm utility including trailer loads, etc.

i will never own a large beast, but it's good to hear well thought out posts of how each of you arrived at your ride.
i'll continue with my truck in the remaining yrs i have on the road. couldn't be more pleased, & that includes the smirks & ridicule i receive when the mall cruisers pass me by, (that's ok, the truck was paid for out of the showroom), best regards
I look at short bed trucks with 4 doors as 'Wannabe soccer mom trucks'.. Status symbols for suburbanite dwellers that want to role play and the only 'cargo' hauled in the back are grocery bags anyway. Totally useless for me. I like 4 doors and a backseat but I have to have an 8 foot box as well and of course a GN hitch in it.

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
I look at short bed trucks with 4 doors as 'Wannabe soccer mom trucks'.. Status symbols for suburbanite dwellers that want to role play and the only 'cargo' hauled in the back are grocery bags anyway. Totally useless for me. I like 4 doors and a backseat but I have to have an 8 foot box as well and of course a GN hitch in it.
We have a 2002 F350 with a 6' bed and the shorter of the extended cab (has suicide doors vs separate doors for the back doors and no B pillar).
Would have preferred a long bed with a crew cab, but this came available with under 75k miles and it fits our needs.
Its a 3rd vehicle, so if we need to move something bigger, it's not a big deal to hook onto the trailer.

Aaron Z

repowell

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75, NH TC40DA
My wife and I have his and her trucks; you couldn't get her into anything else than a truck.
Same with us. Got tired of having to swap vehicles when she wanted to tow the horse trailer. So she got a new truck. We recently bought a 2017 Acadia for road trips into Dallas and for my work trips. Used to be a 20 mile round trip, now I am having an 80 mile round trip daily to teach classes for about 10 weeks.

Last edited:

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I drive thousands of miles in my company 4 door short bed pickup with snowsled or ATV in back. Just because something is useless to you doesn't mean that it won't work for somebody else. I would not want to go back to hauling all of my winter clothes and gear in the bed of the truck, and I sure don't want some behemoth with the extra cab and 8 foot bed on some of the roads I drive. Besides, that extra 18" bed isn't that important; my snowsled would still be sticking out the back.

Torvy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
The brakes are much bigger on the new 1/2 t trucks than the old 3/4 t ones too.
Another pet peeve...using very old terminology that means nothing on the truck. There are no 1/2 ton trucks. Even the lowly Tacoma has almost 3/4 ton payload. Caused serious problems lending on trucks. Payloads over a certain amount (1T) are considered commercial. Different financing and different insurance. Trucks kept getting bigger, but dealers and customers kept referring into the antiquated terms. Many lenders just ignored the rules to make money.