pickup truck size

Bearsixty7

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
In 1979 my brother bought a new F150 base truck, i.e. 300 cu in in line 6 with manual transmission for use on the farm and pulling a cattle trailer. It was cheap but within a year it had lots of issues so my brother traded it for a slightly used 1980 Chevy 1500 with the inline 6 and an automatic transmission at that proved to be very durable. I think he only put about 88,000 on it in the approximately 10 years he had it but they were hard miles - a lot of pasture driving, short trips, pulling tractors and semi-trucks to start them (we had some of those hard starting 30 series JDs). If it did leave the farm for more than to run to town to get parts it was probably pulling a 35 ft trailer loaded with cattle.

The point is that even though they seemed like almost the same truck the way they were equipped, they were totally different in capabilities and durability.
Well that is one of the few Ford 300's that had problems. Several Farmers around us including my uncle had them but in 3/4 tons pulling hay wagons and gooseneck stock trailers. I believe my Uncle's was a 79 or 80. It didn't pull heavy wagons or stock trailers quiet as fast or as well as the GM 350's did but it wasn't out ran that much. His upside was when empty he said he was getting 17-18mpg while the 350's only got 12-14. We eventually got a 83 Chevy 3/4, 350, manual and 3.73 gears, It was a stout pulling truck but Dad hated the 13mpg empty or trailering even though I told him that wasn't bad since we lived on a very hilly gravel road and it rarely was on the highway more than 10 miles and we were using it to pull and haul way more than we ever could with the 305/350V8 1/2 tons he was used to. Oh well, what does a teenager know. :)

Hoodoo

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
I just bought down to a 2003 Chevy 2500HD model from a newer 1500. Wanted the extra power and towing. It only has 130k miles and the previous owner had babied it (mostly). I've added larger tires and getting a 2" front lift this week. Gets 14 mpg. Nothing like a truck.

Slowpoke Slim

Elite Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
The culture shock between my previous and current trucks was substantial. I went from a '74 Dodge W-200 with a big block 440, 3 spd auto and 4.10 gears to a '12 Ford F-250 (bought new in '12) 6.2 gas, 3.73 gears. I still think the Ford rides like a Lincoln town car compared to my old Dodge. I miss the old Dodge sometimes, but not at the gas station.

My next truck will be a gas engine dually. Either an F-350 or an F-450 if Ford ever pulls their thumb out and offer it with the new 7.3L gas engine. So far the only way to get the 7.3 gas in the F-450 is if you buy the chassis cab, and I want a full truck bed. 4.30 gears in which ever one I get. May start seriously looking again once production is normal and vehicles are actually available to buy. No "Lariat" or "Platnum" for me thanks. Absolute waste of money. I don't need all the leather-electric toy-hoohaws on my truck.

When I bought my Ford in '12, it was the XLT package, which really had all the hoohaws I wanted. Same month I bought mine, a coworker bought a Lariat diesel. He paid DOUBLE for his truck than I did for mine. I just laughed at him. Mine was $34K, he paid over $70K. For a truck?! Just pure idiocy. Whatever makes him happy I guess. My payload sticker is higher, since my gas engine is lighter, I think I had right at 1K lbs more payload. I've since moved on and lost touch with him, but he had to have it towed off the side of the road at least twice for diesel emissions problems. Last time was with a loaded stock trailer on back.

I'll stay with the gas engines, thank you.

Cat385B

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1723e
Slim, check around for any flatbed dealers in your area. I live 50 miles from one, and I’m sure I could drive over there and buy a brand new box off a GM, Ford, or Ram; as long as I want white.

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 850 John Deere 1025R
I just bought down to a 2003 Chevy 2500HD model from a newer 1500. Wanted the extra power and towing. It only has 130k miles and the previous owner had babied it (mostly). I've added larger tires and getting a 2" front lift this week. Gets 14 mpg. Nothing like a truck.

That is what I did last year, got a 92' K3500, 7.4L, 3.73 gear to use as work vehicle around the place. It was a barn find that had been parked by a couple that had used it to haul their camper to and from Florida each year. Only had 150k on it when I got it but sitting was not kind to it, had several electrical issues to sort out but it's all good now. Getting 12 mpg, was pleasantly surprised since I was expecting 10 or less. I like the old simpler to work on vehicles.

Slowpoke Slim

Elite Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
Slim, check around for any flatbed dealers in your area. I live 50 miles from one, and I’m sure I could drive over there and buy a brand new box off a GM, Ford, or Ram; as long as I want white.
Unless it's changed on the latest generation Super Duty, the chassis cab trucks had a different frame dimension than the regular truck bed trucks. So a standard (in this case dually) truck bed would not fit on a chassis cab frame. I haven't looked into it to see if this is still the case.

MinnesotaEric

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010
Just curious/nosey ME... how many miles did you have on the OE diff ?

Did you do a lot of heavy towing/hauling ?

Rgds, D.
About 110K when it first began happening. I do tow, but the diff more than likely failed from running around in snow and gravel roads.

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 850 John Deere 1025R
Unless it's changed on the latest generation Super Duty, the chassis cab trucks had a different frame dimension than the regular truck bed trucks. So a standard (in this case dually) truck bed would not fit on a chassis cab frame. I haven't looked into it to see if this is still the case.

Yep, frame on the dually's is wider than the chassis cab, at least for GM's. Ran into that issue when I put a flatbed on the K3500.

TMGT

Elite Member
Tractor
B2620
Should be, all CC have the narrower 34" frame standard for upfitters. Standard pickups are usually about 37+ and sometimes have more "style" to them rather then being straight.

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
About 110K when it first began happening. I do tow, but the diff more than likely failed from running around in snow and gravel roads.
Thnx. I was curious.

R. diffs in Ford's smaller stuff seem rather delicate, but I expect better from an F150..... then again, I have a friend who could break an anvil, so wanted to know the usage pattern on yours.

Rgds, D.