pickup truck size

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
I just traded my 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 in on a 2021 Jeep Gladiator 4x4. Both trucks have the same diesel engine and transmission. Both crew cabs.

The Ram advantage was the HUGE back seat area. Tons of interior storage. Comfy for rear seat passengers as well.

The Jeep advantage is that it's small, so it whips into parking spaces easily. It fits in my residential garage more easily. It's just more fun to drive, period. It also tows my 8.5x24' enclosed trailer exactly like the Ram did, since both are classified as "1/2 ton" and both have identical powertrains. So really the only thing I gave up is the physical size, which has pros and cons.

There's definitely something to be said for a small truck. I'm 6'3". On the Ram, I could not reach over the bedsides and touch the load floor. On the Jeep I can. It makes getting things out of the bed so much easier.
Tried to buy a gladiator diesel, ended up with a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door. 🙃
Dealer gave me a terrific deal and the 20k I saved really helped elsewhere.
I’d like to try a gladiator next time around.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
It does seem like an interesting vehicle, and it's hard to argue with 37 (sales hype, YMMV) mpg, but if a 4 door is the only configuration available I'll pass. I'd rather have a longer bed than a back seat which I'd almost never use.
I will keep my Colorado, or upgrade that to a 3/4 ton. Either way, I want something which costs less to buy, fuel, and repair for when I'm just running around or going down to my mother's house 200 miles away.

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
I have looked at trading my 05 Silverado 2WD WT (Reg Cab, 8' bed, 4.8L V8 Automatic and 3.18 rear end that gets >20 MPH after all these years if I don't push it too hard) a few times as it has 245,000 on it but all of the new ones have a much higher entry and loading heights that they were not what I wanted so I keep my old one which is still running great.

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Ours with its 6ft box is close enough to 8. We simply leave the tailgate down when we need more. :rolleyes:
All well and good until what you are hauling falls out in the road and the guy behind you hits it.

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Had no idea when i posted this thread there would be so many reasonable & diverse opinions on the subject. what i can say is that is good to see how many can accurately express what they want in a truck. what i've learned in this is that the market is far more diverse with attention to customer options than i 1st realized. this is a good thing.

personally, i have always leaned to smaller work horse pickups. my beater is a '92 4wd long bed 4cyl Toyota (pre Tacoma) the only new vehicle i've ever purchased & will remain so. 279k original engine never broken into. use it for highway & farm utility including trailer loads, etc.

i will never own a large beast, but it's good to hear well thought out posts of how each of you arrived at your ride.
i'll continue with my truck in the remaining yrs i have on the road. couldn't be more pleased, & that includes the smirks & ridicule i receive when the mall cruisers pass me by, (that's ok, the truck was paid for out of the showroom), best regards
I look at short bed trucks with 4 doors as 'Wannabe soccer mom trucks'.. Status symbols for suburbanite dwellers that want to role play and the only 'cargo' hauled in the back are grocery bags anyway. Totally useless for me. I like 4 doors and a backseat but I have to have an 8 foot box as well and of course a GN hitch in it.

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
I look at short bed trucks with 4 doors as 'Wannabe soccer mom trucks'.. Status symbols for suburbanite dwellers that want to role play and the only 'cargo' hauled in the back are grocery bags anyway. Totally useless for me. I like 4 doors and a backseat but I have to have an 8 foot box as well and of course a GN hitch in it.
We have a 2002 F350 with a 6' bed and the shorter of the extended cab (has suicide doors vs separate doors for the back doors and no B pillar).
Would have preferred a long bed with a crew cab, but this came available with under 75k miles and it fits our needs.
Its a 3rd vehicle, so if we need to move something bigger, it's not a big deal to hook onto the trailer.

Aaron Z

WM75Guy

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75, NH TC40DA
My wife and I have his and her trucks; you couldn't get her into anything else than a truck.
Same with us. Got tired of having to swap vehicles when she wanted to tow the horse trailer. So she got a new truck. We recently bought a 2017 Acadia for road trips into Dallas and for my work trips. Used to be a 20 mile round trip, now I am having an 80 mile round trip daily to teach classes for about 10 weeks.

Last edited:

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I drive thousands of miles in my company 4 door short bed pickup with snowsled or ATV in back. Just because something is useless to you doesn't mean that it won't work for somebody else. I would not want to go back to hauling all of my winter clothes and gear in the bed of the truck, and I sure don't want some behemoth with the extra cab and 8 foot bed on some of the roads I drive. Besides, that extra 18" bed isn't that important; my snowsled would still be sticking out the back.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
The brakes are much bigger on the new 1/2 t trucks than the old 3/4 t ones too.
Another pet peeve...using very old terminology that means nothing on the truck. There are no 1/2 ton trucks. Even the lowly Tacoma has almost 3/4 ton payload. Caused serious problems lending on trucks. Payloads over a certain amount (1T) are considered commercial. Different financing and different insurance. Trucks kept getting bigger, but dealers and customers kept referring into the antiquated terms. Many lenders just ignored the rules to make money.

Cat385B

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1723e
That’s interesting. So, if a new Ford F-350 is actually a ton and a quarter or one and a half, what is done differently if it’s being bought by someone who is just using for personal transportation?

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
My 2019 F150 dwarfs my '87 Ram 250, carries more, tows more, has at least 150 more hp and gets 50%-60% better mpg while riding better and has a functioning AC.

I still love my old Ram more..
Had a neighbor who bought a Hemi Dodge truck and took it back. He got a Cummins. I asked him why. "Not enough power", he said.

HP ain't what makes a truck. (just like HP isn't what makes a tractor- it's torque and gearing)

I don't love machinery, but I continue to be impressed over these many years with my VW TDI (ALH engine). Slight performance mod, perhaps 120hp; around 250 ft-lbs. 51.5 mpg over 100k miles. 800 miles per tank. It's a tool; no other tool can compare to it (for my needs). For an economy car it's stout, and it's enjoyable to drive (because of the torque).

My truck is a work/farm truck. 12v Cummins. Appreciate the engine. Don't appreciate the rest of the truck (Fummins is the best truck!).

Alan46

Veteran Member
Tractor
KiotiCK25 HST
2014 F-350 crew cab long bed 84,400 mi. LOVE THAT TRUCK best one I ever had!!!
Enough said
6508DD30-EF4A-45C6-BA1F-C38AD4103F20.jpeg

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
People are being smart, when they become homeless these newer trucks will have a lot more value! (easier to sleep in)

I've owned only three trucks in my life. ALL three didn't have engines made by the badged manufacturer. 1958(?) Ford 1/2 ton had a Chev 283 in it, 3 spd on the floor: it was the definition of "beater," bought because I needed something while I was rebuilding a car at the time. Next truck was a 1993 Ford IH (International Harvester), 3/4 ton. Now I have a 1994 Dodge with a 12v Cummins: last truck? hoping so... (I was thinking of going pretty new and getting a travel trailer, but decided that being home in my own park is a lot better than traveling out on the roads of chaos.)

For sure, newer vehicles have a lot better base features. I was driving pre-90 cars that had heated mirrors and seats: manufacturer, European, also had headlight wipers and washers! I'd really appreciate having heated mirrors on my 94 truck.

Those who drive their trucks a lot are far more justified in having one that has more features. STUFF is meant to be USED (otherwise it's just "art").

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
Those that live in places were truck and car bodies last are usually
unaware of vehicle life and the increased maintenance and costs
that those who live in the rust belt.

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I was thinking about this today,,
Back in the early 1970's, I used to haul over 400 bushels of wheat 75 miles to Norfolk VA for my BIL,,
That truck did not have half the engine (HP or torque) that my current pickup has.
My pickup has 2X as heavy a front end as compared to that 1969 F750 Ford that I hauled with.

The hood of that F750 was lower than my pickup. The cab of my pickup is also wider than the F750 was.

L7v3SGR.jpg

GM answered the question as to why they were building such a behemoth truck..
They replied,, "That is what the customer asks for".

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
Other than some very minor rocker panel rust,
my 1999 Silverado is as sound as the year I bought it.

Even though the body is almost perfect,, it is the "Trash Truck",,,

I did have a couple brake lines on the 1999 leak due to rust,,
I can not imagine what the "Rust Belt" owners do,,
There must be a LOT of brake failures.

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Someone I know up in Nova Scotia pretty much figures that any time he has to wrench something that he will have to cut bolts (which also means replacing them). I'm fortunate in that my conditions see me expecting to NOT have to do such things (and when I do I'm not happy about it).

Cat385B

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1723e
Other than some very minor rocker panel rust,
my 1999 Silverado is as sound as the year I bought it.

Even though the body is almost perfect,, it is the "Trash Truck",,,

I did have a couple brake lines on the 1999 leak due to rust,,
I can not imagine what the "Rust Belt" owners do,,
There must be a LOT of brake failures.
Every few years, in the spring, I roll into the shop and hoist it up. I then get under and start cleaning, priming, and painting.
DD733E66-BA61-469F-8111-0DFF3646513A.jpeg
It’s an ‘04 without any rust in Minnesota, owned since new. It is extra work to keep ahead of it, but it has been paid of for 14&1/2 years. If it was rusted out, I probably would of replaced it by now.

JPRambo

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota B7100
A friend of mine had a chevy pickup bed in his yard for years. I asked him why and what he was going to do with it. He said "you want it, take it'. So I did. Another friend has a body shop, I asked him if he could use it. He said bring it over we sell them up north for all the PU bed that rust out. They take a dozen or more at a time.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
When we started looking for a new truck (2019), we reall liked the GMC Canyon. We looked at a lot of the med size trucks. But several facts kept getting in the way of selecting a mid sized truck - First was tow capacity. Seemed to run from 3500 to 7000. Second was the fact that there was not much difference in the price. When I haul my tractor, I needed two capacity of 10K to 11K. A full size truck became the only answer.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Every few years, in the spring, I roll into the shop and hoist it up. I then get under and start cleaning, priming, and painting.
View attachment 712289
It’s an ‘04 without any rust in Minnesota, owned since new. It is extra work to keep ahead of it, but it has been paid of for 14&1/2 years. If it was rusted out, I probably would of replaced it by now.
I spent years in South Dakota. People there do not knowingly buy vehicles from Minnesota. The amount of salt used by MNDOT is so much that vehicles rust so badly.

FYI, the name Rust Belt has nothing to do with auto rust. It is due to the idle factories rusting away when the economy started shifting away from manufacturing and into the Sun Belt. (literally something I am required to teach)

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
^^ that is very true. Around here we can drive a truck until we get tired of it. My current is 22 years old and has a perfect body. If you regularly go over our mountain passes it is a little different but few do that on a frequent basis in the winter. I bought a Toyota FJ a few years back and the first thing I did was look for coats of primer/paint underneath and sure enough carfax had them all coming from eastern and midwest northern US and Canada. I ended up buying a 2008 originally purchased in this county and guess what? No rust to this day.

Last edited:

scaredychicken

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018),Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969)
RalphVa - I'm hoping to trade for a 1984 Dodge Rampage. Sounds like a cool little truck, a baby brother to my El Caminos :)

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
There used to be a couple of brothers downstate who would go south with a car carrier, buy a bunch of rust free trucks, bring them home and put running gears in them from rust buckets up here.

Cat385B

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey GC1723e
There used to be a couple of brothers downstate who would go south with a car carrier, buy a bunch of rust free trucks, bring them home and put running gears in them from rust buckets up here.
We had something similar where I used to live, but the vehicles had drugs packed in various nooks and crannies. Came up from South Florida. Once, they brought home a mid-80’s Buick Regal T-Type. We thought we should approach them about buying it. The Sheriff’s department had a similar idea.

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
There is a dealer in Roanoke, that does JUST the opposite
He goes north, buys rust buckets, and just puts them on the lot.

The "southerners" never even think to look for rust,, this is the south,,
The car is cheap,, they buy it.

He moves dozens of cars every week in that condition,,
I remember the first time I drove past the lot, and saw the rusty cars, that were not that old,,
AND, the price is so low,, you just gotta buy it,,,

I avoid that lot like the plague,, the vehicle seems to look nice,,,,,,,,,,,, o_O

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

In Europe if you bought a car from the South (Italy) you knew your car rusted as soon as the brochure was printed. On the opposite end, a car from the North (Sweden) was most rustproof. Even within France you could see the production location from the rust, because Southern France Simcas rusted faster than the Renaults, which rusted faster than the Peugeot whose factory was in the northeast, closest to Germany. Fords from the Genk (Belgium) factory also rusted worse than Fords from Cologne, Germany.

My neighbour had a body shop, he said in the late 70s it was not uncommon to do body work on 3 year old cars due to rust... something i cannot even imagine, because i have driven rust free 20 year old Volvos all my life: My first car was a 1991 Volvo 440 built here in the Netherlands, with a few paint spots on the rear wheel arches but no serious pitting...

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915,102, 5200 & 5065E
As the name says, I use a extended cab, full bed, dually truck to pull a horse trailer. The gas mileage is so bad the truck is only used for hauling, no joy riding. Bought it new, it's 20 years old and 70K miles on the odo. But it will haul 17,000 pounds with no problem and at 65 mph..

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
As the name says, I use a extended cab, full bed, dually truck to pull a horse trailer. The gas mileage is so bad the truck is only used for hauling, no joy riding. Bought it new, it's 20 years old and 70K miles on the odo. But it will haul 17,000 pounds with no problem and at 65 mph..
I hauled 13k combined with my old Volvo S70 140hp which does 50mpg+ commuting.... the same engine in a VW LT (MY '95 Sprinter with VW engine) was approved for 8.75 ton (19.300 pounds) but the LT got nowhere near 50mpg...
Though my hauling 6 ton with an S70 is illegal and i took only 2 miles of back roads...

You cant have it all in one vehicle...

Last week i went down south with a friend and his Eurovan to pick up an IH 644 he bought for tedding and raking. The Transporter is allowed 6200 pound tow, but the police dont know that when you tow 8k....

ArlyA

Elite Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
I spent years in South Dakota. People there do not knowingly buy vehicles from Minnesota. The amount of salt used by MNDOT is so much that vehicles rust so badly.

FYI, the name Rust Belt has nothing to do with auto rust. It is due to the idle factories rusting away when the economy started shifting away from manufacturing and into the Sun Belt. (literally something I am required to teach)
I buddy of mine is a auto body guy. His friend picked up a near new car from Florida and brought it over to show him. After looking at it a while he asked "you know the windshield columns are rusted out, correct?". There was no fixing of them, it was a total rust and he had wasted $$$.

Arly, no hurricanes here either A.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I buddy of mine is a auto body guy. His friend picked up a near new car from Florida and brought it over to show him. After looking at it a while he asked "you know the windshield columns are rusted out, correct?". There was no fixing of them, it was a total rust and he had wasted $$$.

Arly, no hurricanes here either A.

I bought a 2005 truck from Florida. The sun hasn’t been kind, the clear coat is peeling in the hood and the dash is faded pretty bad but there’s zero rust.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I was going to head south last year, as indicated in the "...6.0 diesel" thread which was recently resurrected. The global virus changed that plan...

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki

He moves dozens of cars every week in that condition,,
I remember the first time I drove past the lot, and saw the rusty cars, that were not that old,,
AND, the price is so low,, you just gotta buy it,,,

I avoid that lot like the plague,, the vehicle seems to look nice,,,,,,,,,,,, o_O
I can just see this now....

Someone from up north buys a truck down south to get a rust free truck and the truck is actually a rust bucket from up north. 😫😫😫

This could be a whole new chapter in "What Goes Around Comes Around"

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Nowadays, it usually pays to get the carfax. Not foolproof, but you will have a much better idea of where the car has been.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Nowadays, it usually pays to get the carfax. Not foolproof, but you will have a much better idea of where the car has been.

The only vehicle I’ve bought from a dealer was still titled to the previous owner and the dealer just transferred it. Maybe it would pay to at least glance under the vehicle. My dad has a van that came from Arizona. It’s 16 years old and immaculate underneath. I put brakes on it and every bolt came out. Even the stupid torx head ones that always bust bits. What a joy to work on.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
The only vehicle I’ve bought from a dealer was still titled to the previous owner and the dealer just transferred it. Maybe it would pay to at least glance under the vehicle. My dad has a van that came from Arizona. It’s 16 years old and immaculate underneath. I put brakes on it and every bolt came out. Even the stupid torx head ones that always bust bits. What a joy to work on.
I crawled around under the last two pickups I bought and they both looked solid. After one winter in the crap they are putting on our roads now, the rust was coming off the frame in flakes.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
I fixed that problem and moved to Texas. If it sounds like snow, everyone in the city goes to the grocery and buys everything. Then they hunker down and wait for the blizzard. After a light dusting, they cancel all non-emergency activities and wait. TXDOT drives around spreading water on the roads to prevent icing. Plows are apparently illegal for Txdot. Fortunately, global warming comes and melts the white stuff before anyone dies of starvation. Then, people get together and tell stories about how they survived snowmageddon and make "I survived winter 202x" t-shirts and hot chocolate. To be fair this is in the DFW area. The panhandle gets real snow at times and I have heard stories of bootleg snowplows roaming the highways. But it is all worth it because we don't have to shovel or blow snow and our cars are rust free...unless you live on the Gulf Coast. The End.

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
Long ago I was considering a used truck "from Florida". Carfax said it lived its whole life on the Atlantic Ocean side. Relatively new truck, underside was bright orange rust.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I fixed that problem and moved to Texas. If it sounds like snow, everyone in the city goes to the grocery and buys everything. Then they hunker down and wait for the blizzard. After a light dusting, they cancel all non-emergency activities and wait. TXDOT drives around spreading water on the roads to prevent icing. Plows are apparently illegal for Txdot. Fortunately, global warming comes and melts the white stuff before anyone dies of starvation. Then, people get together and tell stories about how they survived snowmageddon and make "I survived winter 202x" t-shirts and hot chocolate. To be fair this is in the DFW area. The panhandle gets real snow at times and I have heard stories of bootleg snowplows roaming the highways. But it is all worth it because we don't have to shovel or blow snow and our cars are rust free...unless you live on the Gulf Coast. The End.
That sounds boring. A winter without snow is like breakfast without orange juice.

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I 'was' looking around for a cheap commuter car until after the chip issues on new cars dies down. I found a suburu with 121k on it and looked near new. Carfax's last known report was 371,000 miles. I did some digging to find how easy it is to alter a odometer. I thought those days were gone. Now, like tractors, people are bringing out crap because of the car shortage. New car dealers will ship off the new cars to other areas where no one would think to look for flood damage. I decided to just run up the miles on what I have unless I find someone I know is selling their vehicle and buy a Ranger next year with a tow package (7,500 lbs - not perfect but I can flat tow it behind the motorhome.)

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
I drive thousands of miles in my company 4 door short bed pickup with snowsled or ATV in back. Just because something is useless to you doesn't mean that it won't work for somebody else. I would not want to go back to hauling all of my winter clothes and gear in the bed of the truck, and I sure don't want some behemoth with the extra cab and 8 foot bed on some of the roads I drive. Besides, that extra 18" bed isn't that important; my snowsled would still be sticking out the back.

I agree. And in fact, each time I get a new F150 super crew, I get to choose between the 6 1/2 foot box in the 5 1/2 foot box. I always take the 5 1/2 foot box. Much easier to get into parking spaces, both on the street and in parking lots. Don’t really miss the extra foot of box length.

ArlyA

Elite Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
I agree. And in fact, each time I get a new F150 super crew, I get to choose between the 6 1/2 foot box in the 5 1/2 foot box. I always take the 5 1/2 foot box. Much easier to get into parking spaces, both on the street and in parking lots. Don’t really miss the extra foot of box length.
We got a 2019 ranger with a 6ft box. Its nice to drive around town and fit on narrow roads. It gets fabulous fuel mileage, gobs of power at 260hp, towing capacity is 6000lbs + something and comfortable to ride it. Its a keeper. Here is its review.

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 3040, New Holland 1530, Oliver 1850
I was in Houston, TX in July years ago and swore I'd never go back. I've kept my promise.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
I was in Houston, TX in July years ago and swore I'd never go back. I've kept my promise.
No offense to my neighbors to the south, but Houston is the nether regions of Texas. We're a solid 4 hours north of that humid, overpopulated area. My wife has to go there for work quite often. She will not miss it next year when we retire.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
That sounds boring. A winter without snow is like breakfast without orange juice.
I hear you. My adult life has been about equally spent north and south. The advantage for me now is that snow is a choice. I can head north a bit and enjoy it. For what it's worth, I don't drink OJ either. Too many carbs.

Farmer495

Veteran Member
Tractor
CaseIH / MF / Kubota
Someone I know up in Nova Scotia pretty much figures that any time he has to wrench something that he will have to cut bolts (which also means replacing them). I'm fortunate in that my conditions see me expecting to NOT have to do such things (and when I do I'm not happy about it).

Yes. faster to cut/torch bolts then trying to free them up usually.

If anything is on the road after 10 years old it has had body rust repairs. Anything 20 years old is something either senior owned or seasonally used (convertible, some farm trucks) and never drove in the winter much.

If the frame rots out it's junk...usually with fairly decent interior and low miles on it.

Government inspections pull the rust buckets off the road at inspection expiry.

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
I have no particular use for a back seat in a pickup so I generally go for the extended cab with longer bed. Don't really need an 8' bed anymore, but the 6½ is nice.

Saw a tacoma the other day with one of those hitch-mount bicycle racks on it, kind of sad when you can't even fit a bicycle in the back of a pickup. :(