Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Here is a visual comparison of OEM red paint and green farm store paint to see which has weathered the test of time better. The red I think is OEM IH Red and the green is likely Oliver green from a farm store. The red was sprayed around 10 years ago and the green maybe six years ago. Both faced south into the sun.

Look how chalky and dull the green one is compared to the red one. The red is still glossy while the green looks trashy. I couldn't get the green in OEM. The difference in price between the two was not that much. For any restoration or repair work, OEM is the only way to go.

As I have written many times in other threads, OEM paint is relatively cheap because manufacturers want good looking older equipment to look nice and hold its value and instill pride of ownership and future sales . Farm or hardware store paint wants you out of the store ASAP with all of your cash on the counter.

IMG_3162.jpgIMG_3163.jpgIMG_3164.jpg

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #2  
Whether OEM paint is better is irrelevant, but your "example" is completely flawed. You are using two different colors with red absorbing significantly less light than green. It only makes sense that the red example would be better based on light exposure.

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #3  
The only difference between 'good' paint and 'excellent paint is the amount of titanium dioxide that is in the paint itself. Most OEM paint will have significantly more of it that cheaper box store paint. Red and (Kubota Orange) are significantly more susceptible to UV fade anyway. JD green not so much but it will fade to 'Lima Bean' green after a while and they will all chalk no matter what color it is.

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #4  
Whether OEM paint is better is irrelevant, but your "example" is completely flawed. You are using two different colors with red absorbing significantly less light than green. It only makes sense that the red example would be better based on light exposure.
Why so many red to pink Mahindras

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #5  
I expected some color fade, but I wasn't expecting a totally different color.

Impressive.

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #6  

This is correct

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #7  
Gee, I own 2 'Mary Kay' pink Kubota's and a lima bean green JD discbine too. My other NH discbine stays in the barn all the time. It's not faded at all.

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #8  
Gee, I own 2 'Mary Kay' pink Kubota's and a lima bean green JD discbine too. My other NH discbine stays in the barn all the time. It's not faded at all.
Hack...cough..Mary Kay pink....

The horror...the horror...

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #9  
I can take the identical MAJIC brand paint (from TSC),, spray two items, have one fade in two years,,
and the other still glossy ten years later.

The difference is the one that is nice ten years later has hardener properly mixed in.

My 584 IH was re-painted with the cheapest NAPA enamel in 1997, with hardener,,

Over 25 years later, it still looks good,,
(I never painted the loader, it is still faded)

BPh0tCI.jpg

If you reduce paint with the wrong type, or too much reducer (thinner) the paint will fade quickly.

If you are talking about spray bombs,, throw everything I said out the window,,

/ Pics of why OEM is better than farm store paint for repairs #10  
If I recall correctly, the glossier the finish, the longer it will hold up to light damage (all else being equal).