Pictures of an athletic field contractor

/ Pictures of an athletic field contractor #51  
We visited the Biltmore Estate a couple of years ago and they obviously make an effort to keep it looking perfect. They have a huge front lawn area and the day we were there they were spreading something that looked like sand. I now suspect it was.
IMG_1678.jpeg

/ Pictures of an athletic field contractor
More verticutting today. I had to hold off the 18 loads of sand on my schedule because of the rain we have been getting. This field is scheduled to be aerated and topdressed as soon as the weather allows.
IMG_3902.jpeg
IMG_3901.jpeg
IMG_3903.jpeg

/ Pictures of an athletic field contractor #54  
Ya'll all loaded and geared up to get it done, hopefully the weather will cooperate.

We should be able to finish this job tomorrow. We aerated the field today and were supposed to remove the lips around the skinned area, but had trouble with the lip removal machine.

There is a check valve in the hydraulic hose that turns the hydraulic motors on the conveyer belts. That check valve must have gone bad, because we took it out and now the belts turn.

We also have 5 loads of sand to spread on this field.

The rain is scheduled to start Sunday, but I think we can finish this job tomorrow.

Attachments

• Resized_20240613_152723_1718310457781.jpeg
    Resized_20240613_152723_1718310457781.jpeg
    999.2 KB · Views: 30
   / Pictures of an athletic field contractor #56  
What are "lips"?

What are "lips"?
Lips are a hump or bump that develops over time in the grass area right next to the skinned area. Sort of like a small levee. This can cause a ground ball to bounce erratically or even cause a twisted ankle.
IMG_3950.png
IMG_3951.png

/ Pictures of an athletic field contractor #59  
Back in the 90's, when I lived near Oakland California, I met a guy that was a grounds keeper for the Oakland A's. From a friend who knew him well, I was told that he made six figures taking care of the field.

I always wondered what he did to make so much money just mowing the grass. Now I'm starting to understand.

On this job, we had 3 tractors, 3 trucks, a skid steer, 3 trailers, and several attachments.
I figured that’s about $400,000 worth of equipment. That’s why I charged just over $12,000 for about 2 days work.