Loader Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message.

/ Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message. #1  

majorwager

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota mx 5100 IH 484 ford 1620 lull 844b
Please see screenshot below................................................................................

Michael, you could Not see it because it was not visible, Sorry, this posting became a two step process.

As for another question, not everyone advertises stupidity. By this I mean if an operator damages their tractor by overloading capacity, Not likely to boast the fact on a tractor forum. That isn't a typical "how do I fix this" question., answer is usually rather evident. Wonderful point about choice, is freedom to ignore thread/post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-22-10-36-20.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-22-10-36-20.png
    651.8 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
   / Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message. #2  
Please provide screenshot below. :)

Edit: I can see it now, for some reason I couldn't before.

/ Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message. #3  
How many tractors have been broken in half with the factory loader cylinders and not exceeding maximum hydraulic pressure?

/ Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message.
Likely a clarification necessary. Point attempted, is thus. With tractor in motion, and loader capacity at full or approacing full, the counterbalance of rear ballast places the stress point at the loader bracket location

The underlying suggestion is that travel at full capacity of loader does not provide any means for relief of those stress forces. Also quite aptly suggested is the choice to ignore the post. However, by not over ballesting the rear, that gives an indication when too much stress is exerted and modification of the load is advised. Two safe trips are more advisable than one w/ questionable stability.

The remark that front axle damage occurs, reinforces that sole faith in relief valve is foolish.

And simply because someone has over ballested the rear capacity, it is No Guarantee that the teeter totter effect could occur in travelling over general terrain. At that point, hastily dropping the loader load may not occur quickly enough to aviod an issue.

/ Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message. #5  
What we're talking about here is shearing force, mostly encountered due to a shock force. I suppose one could get into some rather complicated math by introducing modulus and such. But, yeah, when working at a machine's limits one has less margin for error. I think that most manufacturers have things figured out pretty well (ballast and capacities are almost always specified): going beyond what the manufacturer specifies.

It's fairly common to hear people towing FAR more weight with their pick-up trucks than the manufacturer rates. Certainly it is easy to do when on flat, smooth ground and with no significant traffic. Add in some grades and then the game changes drastically (a downhill grade then begs for a lot more breaking capacity).

/ Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message. #6  
Never having used, let alone owned anything with a loader, these are all things I'll need to pay attention to. I can't imagine I would ever travel with anything in the bucket with it raised more than a foot or so to clear the ground. I'd rather make many more trips, than have it tip forward or break something.

/ Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message. #7  
Lifted height, while something to be concerned with safety-wise, won't factor all that much into the issues/concerns of breaking things. Even if lifted a couple of inches off the ground one could manage to encounter a case where a catastrophic event from a shock force could occur. Obviously, added height would mean that there is additional force due to gravity.

My rule of thumb is that if steerage start to feel heavy then there's too much weight.

/ Piggybacking FEL Lift Capacity Thread, Cautionary Message. #8  
^^ One of my problems is sudden drops due to mole holes/runs that have washed out over time. Some of them are now 4-5" wide and a few inches deep and they can jar my teeth on my LTs when mowing. Trying to move enough dirt with a wheelbarrow to fill them in is tedious to say the least. With a bucket, I can scoop dirt, move it to where I need it and use a shovel to fill the runs. But I would not want to drop into one with the front wheels while traveling with a bucket load.