Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos
More pil food stops. My pics are not the best! You walk around the woods at all, you see this left and right. No, they do not looking for food in healthy trees.
P1160126.jpg
P1160127.jpg

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #34  
Nice wood duck nest.

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #37  
We get pileated's in our woods down here too, but they usually don't stick around. Probably just a stop by on their way up to Arly's for the summer.

I heard a wild bird call from my open garage a couple months ago, and instantly knew what I might be. Sure enough a pair of pileated's were flying around the woods. They sound like jackhammers when they go to town on an old hard dead ash tree. My cell phone was unable to get any clear photos from distance, but I did catch a pretty cool video when one flew right over me. Sadly they were gone within the hour.

We get pileated's in our woods down here too, but they usually don't stick around. Probably just a stop by on their way up to Arly's for the summer.

I heard a wild bird call from my open garage a couple months ago, and instantly knew what I might be. Sure enough a pair of pileated's were flying around the woods. They sound like jackhammers when they go to town on an old hard dead ash tree. My cell phone was unable to get any clear photos from distance, but I did catch a pretty cool video when one flew right over me. Sadly they were gone within the hour.
Pileated do not migrate, they will move looking for new territory or if they run out of food over the winter months.

/ Pileated woodpeeker facts and photos #39  
I had one hopping around in my untilled garden spot a few days ago, I have no idea what it was looking for on the ground. Then it flew up in a tree and started doing what they do best.

That's probably the first time I've ever seen one on the ground.

SR

We have seen them ground feeding of all places, at a state park campground. They are omnivores. (I think)