Pipeline Redux

/ Pipeline Redux #2  
I saw the report last night and said some adult words. :D Last night they were not reporting the death but one had to wonder at the seriousness of the injuries if a pipeline was ruptured and then caught on fire. Can't be good. :(

At least this time they know the location of the problem so hopefully the fuel cut off won't be long. Just a shame someone died and a bunch of people got hurt.

Later,
Dan

/ Pipeline Redux
Dan,

I now realize my post was callous -- I should have expressed regret about the death and injuries.

Steve

/ Pipeline Redux #4  
I have been digging around utilities for 30 years . How in the **** could this CREW be so stupid as to hit a major pipeline ? **** happens , this is beyond that !

/ Pipeline Redux #5  
I have been digging around utilities for 30 years . How in the **** could this CREW be so stupid as to hit a major pipeline ? **** happens , this is beyond that !

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? My father was in the construction/aggregate business most of his life until he was injured at age 55. When he recovered, he went to work in the street department of a major city. He said that many of the equipment operators they had were near illiterates and couldn't even read a grade stake. If there are any similarities, I can see how something like this could happen. I didn't think that BP could blow up an oil rig, but like you say, **** happens.

/ Pipeline Redux #6  
Dan,

I now realize my post was callous -- I should have expressed regret about the death and injuries.

Steve

Steve,

I don't think it was callous at all. The possible fuel shortage is a big deal. Our area had no gas at the pumps for a week or two and it was not good. Another few days or a week and travel would have stopped which would have caused some serious issues. I hope they can fix the pipe line fast.

As other posters are asking, and one of my first thoughts, was how they managed to cut open the pipeline? We have some pipe lines in our county and they are very well marked. I saw some crews digging around the pipeline the other day for some reason and the seemed to be very careful.

Later,
Dan

/ Pipeline Redux #7  
What really upsets me is that we are before where this and the last rupture is but just like last time our prices will jump. Of course we never experienced any shortage of fuel, just the price going up and never coming down.

/ Pipeline Redux #8  
It looks like some of us in the Southeast are going to have worry about gasoline outages again...

Steve

Thank goodness I live in the Northeast.

Those of us in the North have a longstanding 'bone of contention' with those who live below the 42nd S parallel... (not that I would wish them ill :rolleyes:)

/ Pipeline Redux #9  
They are putting in a new road to the VA here in Johnson City and knew our pipeline from the landfill ran along the road and was clearly marked, so they dug on the other side of the fence to stay well away...they ripped the pipeline in half...just because it's marked above ground doesn't mean it's under the marker :smiley_aafz:

/ Pipeline Redux #10  
Unfortunately many of our pipelines are way past their economic life. Along with age, the cathodic protection systems that are supposed to prevent corrosion are gone, used up, or poorly maintained compounding the problems. Blame poor government oversight and pipeline companies chasing the almighty dollar and it is a recipe for disaster.

My SIL works the pipelines as a third party inspector, surveiling new installations, and testing the coating systems. Currently in WV they are installing new/larger lines in existing rightaways. He told me that existing as built drawings are often very inaccurate. Even after doing extensive locating they still encounter piping in locations that are supposed to be clear. That is why the backhoes find them. He has been on jobs where the engineers did not field check the pipe constructors rough as built before they were covered. That engineer time costs money.

Ron