Pivot Fixture on Backhoe

/ Pivot Fixture on Backhoe #1  

JWD1312

Tractor
Kubota 7510
I have plans for the caddigger 841 but I don't like the pivot fixture using the brass thrust bearings. MY question is how would half of a I-beam front axle (using the ball joints too) off a very big truck work for the fixture. ALso anyone have info on the ubuildit Ground Hawg backhoe any problems they might have.

/ Pivot Fixture on Backhoe #2  
I serched Google and You will find what Jim Steeby did here…
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/caddigger/caddigger.html
He also invites email so you could check with someone that has built one and modified it…. Welcome to TBN /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, should be getting cool where you are about now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.KennyV.

/ Pivot Fixture on Backhoe #3  
big trucks dont use balljoints so scrap that idea. myself personaly i dont see whats wrong with plain bushings, thats what most large backhoes use, keep them greased and they are good for thousands of hours

/ Pivot Fixture on Backhoe #4  
big trucks dont use balljoints so scrap that idea.

This is true, they don't use ball joints they use 'king pins' which is basicly the same as a back hoe uses just cut off the wheel spindle an go from there, should be strong enough to work.

/ Pivot Fixture on Backhoe #5  
why bother using a king pin setup, they have bronze bushings just like the original design, ya might as well just build it the way they designed it

/ Pivot Fixture on Backhoe #6  
Usaually cheaper, and then there is the challenge to see if you can make it work without buying it off the shelf /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif