Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use?

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #1  

future_vision

Gold Member
Tractor
DK6010SE HSA
I'm looking at planting a row of bushes. My first inclination was a hand-held auger but that might be a rough go with holes maybe getting to 10". I could use a smaller bit and drill multiple holes and try and combine them into a larger hole but when you are talking something like 50+ holes like that....meh!. Then I started thinking that maybe a tiller for my tractor might work but those only go so deep and I still need to move the dirt out of the ditch. If I had my backhoe(on order) then I guess that would be an easy solution. Other then those options anyone have any other ideas for relatively inexpensive ways to dig these holes? Would a trencher be an option?

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use?
if you need 10" holes you will need a 12" auger. a 3point tractor post hole digger would work nicely
They are generally expensive even for the cheapo ones and I don't think I can get my hands on one in short order. I'm hoping/needing to get the bushes in the ground sooner than later.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #4  
I'm looking at planting a row of bushes.

A tractor Bucket Spade:

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 540

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_198.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_198.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 437
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 997

Last edited:
   / Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #5  
They are generally expensive even for the cheapo ones and I don't think I can get my hands on one in short order. I'm hoping/needing to get the bushes in the ground sooner than later.
Buy... borrow or rent
My last one I bought used and sold for what I paid for it.
call a local tractor dealer and see if they hve a used one or can rent one. Maybe a neighbor has one or place a add in the local paper.

I'm looking at planting a row of bushes.

A tractor Bucket Spade:

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 540

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_198.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_198.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 437
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 997
I feel my bucket bending already. I have avoided bucket forks for that reason. But I guess this won't be as much pressure unless I accidentally jam into a rock with too much force.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #7  
How about a middle buster, that gets you through the sod and more than halfway to your 10" goal.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #8  
If your location was a bit more clear maybe someone on this forum would help you out....

If your location was a bit more clear maybe someone on this forum would help you out....
How about a picture?

Attachments

• 1655845151861.png
    1655845151861.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 912
  • 1655845210232.png
    1655845210232.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 870

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #10  
I feel my bucket bending already. I have avoided bucket forks for that reason. But I guess this won't be as much pressure unless I accidentally jam into a rock with too much force.

Your fears are baseless.

I purchased the Bucket Solution's (brand) Bucket Spade twelve years ago.

I have used the Bucket Spade for planting trees and excavating Palmettos, other palms and grossly overgrown twenty-year old Blueberry bushes for ten years on the L3560 bucket. Certainly at least 1,500 in number. The Bucket Spade appears as new. The bucket has minor paint scuffs where the spade pads compress.

In my opinion the optimal bare tractor weight for utilizing a Bucket Spade is 3,700 to 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight. Hydraulic power is of secondary importance in operating a Bucket Spade. Tractor weight is the most important factor as the spade is driven into ground with tractor wheel power. After first insertion the ground is loose.

The spade is 18" wide, billet forged, not stamped; weighs 110 pounds. A little ponderous for my 75 year old body to attach.

Minimal storage space required when spade is off the FEL bucket.

Being able to dig tree planting holes in front of the tractor, then move the tractor normally between digs is efficient.

Bucket Spade opinions posted on T-B-N from those that own them and use them are favorable. I seem to be the most frequent Bucket Spade user posting here.

Last edited: